Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Researching AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching AWD Conversion

As you know, I completed an engine swap I researched so it shows if I think somethings possible, I'll do it and proove it. So you'll know with this, Im serious and will do it if my research checks out.

Basically, Outlander 05 has the same engine and chassis as the 05 lancer, but AWD. The lancer has the space and holes for AWD hardware and in Asia it is sold as a 1.5 MIVEC with AWD.

It there is possible to create a 2.4 Turbo AWD Lancer Ralliart - and I'm beginning the process now.

I'll keep you updated what I find, and hopefully, begin the process. I was the first person to swap a 4G69 into a 04-06 lancer that previous had a 1.6L engine, and I expect to be the first person to do an AWD conversion, so long as my shop manual comparision research goes smoothly.

I'll let you all know what I find.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

yes it is possible with enough time and effort. one thing to point out that i think otter had mentioned in a thread about swapping an outlander AWD system into an RA is that we have alot less room under the car then the outlander and that space is needed for the AWD. this may be different since we were talking about a US 2.4L 4g69 outlander.

I think the stuff you've done with the car is awesome and hope you can get this project going too. good luck
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i knew i was gonna hear somebody say go buy an evo. go buy a life.

anyway when you do this i garantee i'll be 2nd one to do so. maybe not right away but i plan on doing this in a few years. think awd system from an evo 8 will fit?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Theres no point saying, Go buy an Evo, because my interest is in working on and doing new things to a car that people havent done before, not just modifications, but entire rebuilds, engine swaps etc.

An Evo to me would be nothing more than a great car, it wouldnt be something I'd want to strip down and rebuild, which was a lot of fun for me.

Whether or not the entire outlander AWD system fits, I've yet to find out, but Im sure there is a way - our car is designed with AWD in mind and has a center gap in the chassis, where the exhaust is. I have an Evo shop manual as well and have looked at that extensively, and I know the AWD transaxle will bolt up to the 4g69. Its the rear of the AWD system that I've yet to fully understand, but the front part of both the Outlander and Evo AWD system will bolt up.

I can sum it up better by the reaction I got when I took my car to my dealer after the engine swap. Their main mechanic said I should have got an Evo, but soon ate his words when a large group had developed around my car, all amazed at how Id turned what they considered a larthargic econo-box into somethign unique and fast. And rather than driving away with 300bhp and amazing handling, I just feel proud that this isnt just my car - its a car I rebuilt myself, with no knowledge of cars previously.

Last edited by Diavlo; Apr 8, 2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

go buy a life,he has a point all that money he can go get a reliable evo.

but on the other hand it would be cool to have a totally custom race car,but agian will it be reliable?but the guy who made this thread seems to know his stuff.i was reading a thread about this the other day i searched but could not find it. good luck keep us posted..

ya specially since you did the motor swap your self that has to be the greatest feeling.

Last edited by bluebyu36; Apr 8, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:31 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Any "buy an evo" comments are just going to get deleted. They **** me off to no end, and as usual, the people making the comments don't know the background of this person. Hell, just look at where he's from and you'll see a big part of the reason he doesn't have an Evo. Everything he's doing to the Ralliart is, in the long run, less expensive than owning an Evo.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking for the "buy an evo" comment and was like "whaat? I don't see any.."

Good luck Diavlo, should be good!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
diavlo your the man
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:31 AM
FAV
Evolving Member

Sweet keep up the ground breaking work!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can find a way to do this you are a god. I love my Ralliart and i want to keep it until it dies, but its hard to put that much money into it, knowing that i can only go so far with FWD. Good luck on your searching, and if anyone can do it, it's definitely you.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Sell the STI, you might be able to
Old Apr 9, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for it and good luck, it might not be as expensive as you think, and if it turns out to be a good setup then you can start the awd process on my RA
Old Apr 9, 2007, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

^^yeah just fly your car over to the UK, that may be the most expensive part of the job.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

so your just gonna add the AWD to the 4G69. great you do that and i will do the 4G63 and AWD conversion. lets prove that we can do this cause it does also **** me off when there are people on here that say buy an Evo. its like look dude we dont want an Evo we want the RA and prove to your dumb A$$ that the AWD and the 4G63 will fit in our car and that it can be done am i rite
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Just a few things to remind you and I know you already thought of this:

1- FUEL tank has to be removed NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Maybe check the install points of an EVO tank. Or something else might be to buy a fuel cell from summitracing and place it in the trunk safely.

2- BRAKES MUST be upgraded too since our weight proportion is 60/40 which was great and that's the reason we have bigger front brakes now you will have traction in the rear and more weight so make the 2G conversion of the front calipers and you can also try and buy a big brake kit (only the rotors not the calipers) from a 2G AWD for the rear and that will be like 200 dollars or so.

3- TRANNY - the problem with the outlander is that it only comes in AUTO transmission as an AWD model. and the rear differential has a ratio for the auto transmission which will be somehow not performance wise. You could try to see if the EVO differential fits the outlander 4wd.

4- ECU - I believe the ECU of the 4WD outlander has connections for the traction control if not you are clear to GO!!!!

5- WHEELS- you will need to buy better wheels cause our are designed for FWD applications but I think you could use them.

6- SUSPENSION- I don't know if suspension location will change. But since you are installing additional weight to the rear you need some coilovers cause if not you are going to blow the shocks a LOT. And remember to do your little research with sway bars cause may be you will tend to have some understeer.

Quick Reply: Researching AWD Conversion