Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Researching AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow if this is possible i wanna try it... eventually. keep us updated and great research man.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I just want to do it because I'm bored and I need something to spend my hard-earned cash on. I cant save! Unless its for something like the RRM turbo, which I should get next month.

This is something which if possible, I'll end up doing over the next year, like the engine swap - I'd buy up parts each month until I had all I need.

Research Stands as follows:

ALL of either the Evo or Outlander AWD Tranny/Transfer Case and axles will connect up to the 4G69.

I found the suspension is no wider on either (just the wheels and offsets make a wider track), The axles are the same type as the RA transmission, but slightly different to the non 2.4 lancers.

So - thats the front of the sytem all checked out. It will all mount correctly and connect up correctly there.

I now need to find out if there are bolt holes for the propeller shafts center bearing in the underside of the chassis. When I was under there doing my exhaust I noticed a lot of unused bolt holes - so hopefully.

Then the hard bit - the rear. Thats gonna take some creativity and could be the stumbling point.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question, is the outlander chassis the same as the es/ls/oz and ralliart or is it the same as the evo. I looked at how the suspension is set up on an outlander and i believe the struts for the ralliart would work an outlander rear sub frame. If the outlander 2wd uses the same rear subframe as the ralliart, I would say the rear subframe, like on an awd conversion for an eclipse like mine, would work. I think diavlo has something here, that is if you have spare parts just sitting around collecting dust. Diavlo, you may proceed with your project.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt the outlander comes with the same rear suspension set-up as the Evo, but I'm hoping once I've had a good look at the outlander shop manual I can figure out if its possible.

The simple fact is that the Lancer chassis was designed with AWD in mind, even on the base models, so in theory there will be a way, whether that means modifying the rear suspension or not I dont know yet until I've looked through the outlander shop manual and underneath my car.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

After more research I can now present to you how I will go about the AWD conversion:

1). Bolt up Outlander 5 Speed Manual AWD Transaxle.

2). Attach new Right Hand Evo/Outlander Axle.

3). Change Fuel Tank to the AWD version and Attach Propeller Shaft

4). Attach Rear Differential using the two brackets and stock lancer chassis mounting points.

5). Replace rear trailing arms with Outlander Trailing arms

6). Replace lancer hubs with outlander splined hubs.

7). Attach Rear Axles

8). Complete any wiring.

9). Job Done.

The rear now checks out as well as the front. The ONLY thing stopping us powering the back wheels is on our trailing arms, there is a spindle. On the AWD outlander, there is space for the axle. LUCKILY - both the Outlander FWD and Lancer trailing arms are the same, which means our trailing arm can be swapped out for one that will accept the axle.

Outlander AWD rear Trailing Arm: (Space for axle)

Lancer and Outlander FWD rear Training Arm: (Spindle)

Yes that picture is the same in both the Outlander AND Lancer Shop manual - the rear suspension is identical and thats our key for obtaining AWD.

This also still dependings on being able to attach the rear diff and propeller shaft to the chassis. Hopefully there will be holes in the chassis for it, else it may be a drill job!

I did an engine swap and I was less sure of that working than this. So Im going to start collecting the parts. This may not be done soon, but I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Diavlo; Apr 11, 2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Item 1. Bolt up Outlander 5 speed munual AWD transaxle

In the US there is no 5 speed manual Outlander. Is there is th UK? Where do you plan to get this part?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have any of the caps screens for the complete rear sub frame that all the control arms and links attach to? Also, what type of sway bar do both the 2wd and awd have?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

if anybody else but you said they were going to do this I probably would have just laughed. You on the other hand have already done amazing work. I will watch your progress even though I don't have my RA anymore.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You make this all sound so easy, Diavlo. Of course, it'd be awesome if you discovered that this swap is relatively easy and could be done cheaply once you find a donor car at a junkyard.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

The 5-speed MT AWD outlander transmission exists in the UK and is even listed on US mitsubishi parts sites, I've already got the part number.

Last edited by Diavlo; Apr 11, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

The 5-Speed Manual Transmission AWD Outlander seems to exist in the US as well:

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD $20,449

The Outlander LS AWD is a 4-Door, AWD UT with seating for 5. It comes standard with a 5 speed manual transmission and a 2.4L I4, 16-Valve, SOHC, MPFI engine with a horsepower rating of 160@5750 and a torque rating of 162@4000. It has an EPA fuel economy rating of 22 city/28 highway miles per gallon.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

One other thing - No matter whether you have a Lancer Ralliart, an FWD Outlander or an AWD outlander.

They all use the same rear hub - which is splined, and ready to take a rear drive axle. On FWD models, a spindle takes it place.

Evidence:

Part Number: MR527453

Matches:

Rear suspension - Suspension components - Hub & bearing
Hub and bearing, lancer, 2.4l, w/abs - 2wd 2004 - 2006

Rear suspension - Suspension components - Hub
Hub, outlander, 2wd 2003 - 2006

Rear suspension - Brake components - Hub assy - Outlander Ls
Outlander Ls Back - awd Disc brake 2005-06 2005 - 2006
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

What about my previous question? Do you have any of the caps screens for the complete rear sub frame that all the control arms and links attach to? Also, what type of sway bar do both the 2wd and awd have?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Subframe and suspension on the outlander/lancer are the same - but couldnt be more different on the Evo, swaybar has a different shape for Outlander AWD. I dont have CAPS screens of it. In a few days when I get my outlander shop manual I'll make more detailed comparisions, however even my Lancer shop manual doesnt mentioned anything about the sub-frame.

My parts list so far is as follows:

Left Outlander AWD Trailing Arm MR519027 $152.70 £75
Right Outlander AWD Trailing Arm MR519028 $152.70 £75
Outlander 5-Speed Manual Transmission AWD $2,229.87 £1100
AWD Fuel Tank MR978019 $446.12 £220
Propeller Shaft Assembly MN147054 $1,042.08 £500
Rear Differential (Carrier) MN150637 $1,345.14 £750
Left Rear Axle Shaft MN156839 $318.42 £155
Right Rear Axle Shaft MN156840 $318.42 £155
Front Right Axle Assembly $506.14 £250
Front Left Axle Assembly $506.14 £250

Its fun when these topics are about, because you always get people who are convinced it wont work.

I remember when I started my research for the 1.6 -> 2.4 engine swap I completed last december, there were so many people who said it couldnt be done, and at the time, I wasnt sure myself. Based on the theory that I could strip down my 1.6 lancer and rebuild it as a Ralliart with no problems, I proved it was possible (and for those who followed my engine swap topic - it was NOT a simple case of engine out, engine in! Now based on the theory that outlander and lancer share the same chassis, and that the lancer chassis was developed with AWD in mind, and that Mitsubishi likes to cut costs by producing cars on the same line, with as many of the same parts as possible, hence there being stuff on the car that isnt used, like bolt holes - I hope to prove once and for all that it either can be done - or cant. But Im sure it can.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

I've got to admit, he really did make it sound easy lol.

It was like put this and this together and you get this > AWD

Quick Reply: Researching AWD Conversion