Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

EGR elimination !!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkMastyr

Before anyone starts going ***** nilly and eliminating critical aspects of the engine that are universally accepted by engineers throughout the world who have thought about this way more than you have, think about why they implemented this system and what tradeoffs you're incurring when you start changing it.
I am terribly sorry , I am an engineer myself and I have to tell you that automotive engineers do this stuff so that old ladys and people that does not have a clue about how the engine works will work DUMMY PROOF if i believe what you just said NOBODY WILL INSTALL A CAI nor an Exhaust and those are two basic bolt ons than even women can install. SO don't come here saying that. Perhaps the first time someone suggested a Pulley you would say ' engineers already balanced out stock pulley blah blah blah ' and the same with the piggy. I know what I am doing I just need the help of somebody that knows a lot of electronics if I were to eliminate completely the stepper motor. I can eliminate it and still leave it out there but I wanna go advanced and remove the valve completely. EVO owners already eliminate the EGR they run turbo which means they have bigger COMBUSTION TEMPS and they see increase in performance ..... no complains at all so if we run N/A there should be no problem at @ll

Last edited by Kurt; Jun 7, 2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just read on a DSM forum that they have used a soda can to make a replacement gasket(minus the holes on the OEM gasket) and used that as a replacement for the Stock gasket with the holes. You bolt everything up as it should be but instead of the gasket with the holes in it, you have a gasket without any. Its like using a block off plate but your EGR valve stays active(Opens but nothing comes thru because there are no holes in the soda can gasket) good luck!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

like what I said, only I was assuming (for some reason) the valve would be mechanically blocked when mounted directly to the plate. I have never seen the exhaust side of an EGR valve
Old Jun 7, 2007, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Well, here's the valve. I believe it is what I assumed, a stepper controlling a pintle on a screw drive, thus blocking the amount of flow from one chamber to the next depending on how far the pintle is driven in. I'll get the motor off the unit and post those too. The screwdrive I have right now is no good and I dont want to strip the screws.
Attached Thumbnails EGR elimination !!-egr.jpg   EGR elimination !!-egrside.jpg  

Last edited by drewbad; Jun 7, 2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

from what I can tell there is no feedback in the valve itself, the diodes are in the ecu, and you should be able to accomplish this by putting a resistor between pin 2 and pins 1 and 3, and between pin 5 and pins 4 and 6.

if you want I will bust out teh ms paint skilz hopefully that's self explanatory.

you still to worry about other sensors not seeing regular signals when you block this flow, regardless of whether or not it thinks the motor is attached.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

I found a better screwdriver and disassembled. You can see that there is a screwdrive that travels up and down. I was able to grab it with pliers and pull it out.
This eludes that you could block off the plate and pull out the pintle without messing with resistors.
Attached Thumbnails EGR elimination !!-egr1.jpg   EGR elimination !!-egr2.jpg   EGR elimination !!-egr3.jpg  
Old Jun 7, 2007, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

I thought we were TALKING about doing this damn man
Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'll make a cover from a beer can and pull the pintle to see what happens. Hopefully I can do this by the weekend. Let us see if I get a CEL!

Last edited by drewbad; Jun 7, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

hopefully? You had damn valve apart in less than a day, if it takes you longer than two days to cut a soda can then you're a brain and shouldn't work on cars
Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Dan,

This will be a beer can, not a soda can.

heheheh!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

SOme of the best inventions came from a beer can (remember the Wifi antenna heheh) not to mention beer itself is delightfull

DREW thanks a lot for all your help . IF it weren't for you I would had to wait until my manifold arrives.

DAN so we can do this mechanically and electronically

mechanically ; find a way to mount the valve at the top of the blockoff plate (easy) maybe two longer bolts.
Electronically ; we need then 4 resistors am I right ?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

OK we have a bonus. In the middle of cutting up the beer can (may she rest in peices) I decided that no flange cover is needed. The valve is spring loaded, normally closed. By removing what I call the "pintle", nothing will push this valve open.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Alright drew , can you verify that the valve after you remove the piece wont fall apart , cause if it can fall into the intake port (I dont wanna imagine what kind of damage it might inflict)
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

remember, there is a vacuum on that hole too so make sure it won't get pulled open by the vacuum.

four resistors will definitely work, you can do this at the ECU instead of in the engine bay also.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

what resistors should I use Dan and how can I connect them , also I may opt to just put the valve on top of the block off plate and use larger bolts ...

Quick Reply: EGR elimination !!