Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Hackish ECU Reflash Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Well, it's been almost 2 months since i had my ECU reflashed, it still works great, still sounds cleaner, still feels like there's more power...haven't had any issues with it at all...Fuel consumption is greatly reduced, i think i mentioned that before, but i put about 600km a weekend on the odometer, so with several weeks of comparison i can safely estimate i burn about 5 or more litres less over about 260km, even with no performance in mind, this can be a fuel saver...I can't wait to get it on the track...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Well, it's been almost 2 months since i had my ECU reflashed, it still works great, still sounds cleaner, still feels like there's more power...haven't had any issues with it at all...Fuel consumption is greatly reduced, i think i mentioned that before, but i put about 600km a weekend on the odometer, so with several weeks of comparison i can safely estimate i burn about 5 or more litres less over about 260km, even with no performance in mind, this can be a fuel saver...I can't wait to get it on the track...
Do you track your fuel mileage online? It'd be nice to see the comparison from before and after the flash.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

no i just know that my gas gauge repeatedly reads about an 1/8 tank more after travelling the same distance at the same speed under similar conditions, every week for the last month and a half...with the reflash, and i've driven this same route over 100 times since i've had my car, that's why it has 160,000km on it...

What the reflash does for N/A is basically to lean out the AFR to be more efficient, which is where the extra power comes from, and under normal driving conditions obviously uses less fuel...(for those who don't know)

the way i look at it, if it's noticable on the built in fuel gauge over say 300km, it's pretty substantial...it does vary, but that depends on traffic, and whatever else, usually the highway is pretty quiet around 9 or 10pm through toronto...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 6, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 02:12 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
at cruise your ecu will force 14.7 narrowband AFR, so you won't be saving any petrol then. you need to use an adjustable wideband/narrowband to achieve this. but this ain't too good for our atmosphere. good for your wallet though

you will save a bit of petrol running leaner at part throttle around town, long distances won't be noticable (I notice on my EvoSCan GPSnav that it sits on 14.7AFR 99% of the time on long distances, regardless of tuning). you will be gaining the most power at 70% + throttle, but you definitely won't be saving petrol here

as long as you have no trouble codes lit up, you only save petrol depending how you drive on the throttle. hence why they invented that kiwigreen mpg touchscreen, it changes your behaviour how you drive.

Last edited by evoscan; Apr 7, 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

the way i drive is in and out of traffic...i don't just sit there with the cruise control on, i might as well drive an automatic at that point...like to drive the car...

the speed i said is an average probably on the higher end...driving conditions are always varying, but over 8 or more trips on the same highway, same distance, i noticed a slight decrease in fuel consumption...

i don't know how this stuff works, but i know how to drive my car, and look at the fuel gauge...i've only made observations...i'm not saying you'll get 900km to a tank, just saying it appears o be using less gas...i understand how driving at a constant speed puts very little load on the engine, but that's not really applicaple here, as the highway has a lot of hills, and for a highway cruise i do a fair bit of gear shifting...

besides i don't really care about fuel anyways...the little bit of extra power, with the launch control and higher revs is the reason i got it done, shyt, this thing could be **** poor on gas and i'd probably still get it done...i would just drive my ES on the highway instead...that thing goes from montreal to toronto with gas still in the tank...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 7, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

the way i drive is in and out of traffic...i don't just sit there with the cruise control on, i might as well drive an automatic at that point...like to drive the car...

the speed i said is an average probably on the higher end...driving conditions are always varying, but over 8 or more trips on the same highway, same distance, i noticed a slight decrease in fuel consumption...

i don't know how this stuff works, but i know how to drive my car, and look at the fuel gauge...i've only made observations...i'm not saying you'll get 900km to a tank, just saying it appears o be using less gas...i understand how driving at a constant speed puts very little load on the engine, but that's not really applicaple here, as the highway has a lot of hills, and for a highway cruise i do a fair bit of gear shifting...

besides i don't really care about fuel anyways...the little bit of extra power, with the launch control and higher revs is the reason i got it done, shyt, this thing could be **** poor on gas and i'd probably still get it done...i would just drive my ES on the highway instead...that thing goes from montreal to toronto with gas still in the tank...
Hey now, I use cruise control on the freeway for work lol. I love to drive my car but I'm lazy on long drives. Don't see how its like drivin an auto though. An auto u still gotta hole the pedal to cruise. And even they have cc lol.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 02:46 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
i don't know how this stuff works, but i know how to drive my car, and look at the fuel gauge...i've only made observations...i'm not saying you'll get 900km to a tank, just saying it appears o be using less gas...
could be better imported fuel these days.. could be colder weather, or humidity. not saying its not the tune, just saying theres a lot of variables
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoscan
could be better imported fuel these days.. could be colder weather, or humidity. not saying its not the tune, just saying theres a lot of variables
There are specific changes made to the tune that give better fuel economy without hurting emissions. Fuel economy is not only realized through mixture adjustments. I could also set the target AFR to whatever I wanted - you just need a better understanding of the ROM.

-Michael
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

i don't know HOW it works, i just know that it DOES...and that's good enough for me...it was still running great until i stripped my timing belt...but by the time i get the engine back together i'll have quite a nice bit of work done on the head and transmission...

and mike, quick question, i remember when we went to the bank, or lunch, i forget you mentioned something about a "range" operating conditions, or something like that...when i get my head apart i'm going to have it ported and get a larger throttle body, and since i probably won't boost this summer due to the cost of head and transmission work, i was thinking of getting an underdrive pulley as well, will you need to change anything? or will the ported head and UDP be ok..
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For all of those who have the reflash and have been asking about the editor its close:

http://support.uvtune.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=395

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Sep 22, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was curious when it would here it's already out for the eclipse guys on club4g right?

So how will those of us that have had the reflash some years and want that software?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
I was curious when it would here it's already out for the eclipse guys on club4g right?

So how will those of us that have had the reflash some years and want that software?
It is not ready for any platform just yet but it is getting closer.

If you already got the flash the editor is free
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great so how do we physically get the editor?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Great so how do we physically get the editor?
When released you will get a link on the support forum
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

when you register, you can get the Beta builds of UVtune, but the last build i got doesn't have the editor or the logger...used for read and write only at the moment...

Quick Reply: Hackish ECU Reflash Review