Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Hackish ECU Reflash Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hackish ECU Reflash Review

After roughly two months of back and forth emailing I now have installed the reflashed ECU. I know there's been a lot of banter on the ECU so I present to you my honest opinion of it.

Today's Date: Jan 5, 2010
Temperature: 29 Degrees
Humidity: 53%

I figured I list the weather as that may have an effect on the ecu learning process.

Car: 2004 RA 5spd

Mods:
RRM UDP
RRM V1 SRI
Ceramic Coated OEM 4-2-1 Header with RRM v1 downpipe.
2.25 exhaust piping with Apexi Ws2 muffler.
Currently running Bridgestone Blizzaks (tires have way less grip than my Sumitomos)

Removed Mods:
RRM Timing Box (Per Hackish's recomendation)

After installing and going through the ECU re-learn process (6-8 minutes of just idling). It was time for the road test. I drove through city for about 3 miles just to see how the ECU acted under stop and go conditions. There was no bogging ect. just on occasion there was random idle fluctuation, but it was very minor. I will attribute that to the learning process.

On straight city roads I punched it, after a few times I was confused, b/c it felt like my car had much less low end torque. But the main test was the highway, when I finally got there I opened up the car....all I will say is holy crap. Yes multiple pulls on the highway told me that I lost some low end tq, but now there's more usable tq throughout the entire powerband...all the way through 5th gear. The car felt more lively once you open it up, it even sounded slightly different, it sounded more mean.

Reflashed ECU Major Configuration:
Tuned for 93 Octane
Rev Limit raised to 7k rpms
Mivec has not been changed (really no need to change it)
I'm not sure how many degrees the ECU timing has been advanced for 93 Octane requirement.

Everyone's car will respond different to the reflash given many variables, so I base this review on my car only. I have not done any calculations on changes to mpg, although Hackish stated there would be no affect on mpg. Having winter tires on definitely affects me from feeling full affect of the relfash, but this review gave you a basic understanding of what to expect.

Overall I give the reflash an 8/10. Nothing's perfect, it would have been 9/10, but he's in Canada so that slows down the process a little and I had to chase him a little to make it for me.

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Jan 6, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds good man. Glad to hear you are satisfied with your ECU. Hopefully no further problems present itself. Congratz man
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:01 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice I'm looking into this as well glad to hear it's all good.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:20 PM

were did u reflash ur ecu?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:31 PM
Account Disabled

hackish here on the forums is able to do reflashes. he lives in ottawa canada though!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:23 PM

shi...t lol

so far from were i live
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Yeah it's a bit far but he's put alot of r and d into it ....oyeah and he's the only one ine world that's reflashed the ralliart
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Yeah it's a bit far but he's put alot of r and d into it ....oyeah and he's the only one ine world that's reflashed the ralliart
He has put alot of RnD into it and money but he is not the first to doit.

There was a man that did the Wichetec Ralliart we have all seen.. sadly the man passed away so im told and did not share the knowledge of how he did so.. leading us the the knight in shining armor we call Hackish.

so there you have it.

i may or may not be wrong but thats the way i know it to be atm.

But i like hackish's ways anywho
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:37 PM

wow i heard about the wichetec ralliart proyect what happens bro i didnt knew that the man died :s what happen¿
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:13 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Are you talking about the guy outta pr that took the rev limiter to 9k? If so I thought that was all he did...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

Are you guys talking about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdedv...eature=related
Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

ya them who ever did the ECU some of us were told he passed but if he lives i wish he would have spoke up
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Day 3:

I've driven about 35 miles on the relflash. The idle fluctuates VERY slight on occasion when I'm in traffic or at a stop light, I attribute that to the learning process still. So far all my electronics have worked fine and there have been no CELs. Car feels much more powerful as it adapts to my current mods. Hopefully I get some highway driving done this weekend and open her up.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Mivec transition is very smooth yet it's very pronoucned.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Glad you like it Ralliartize. Just to be clear with everyone, I'm not a vendor here and don't contact me asking to buy it on this site. Ralliartize and others who bought the product had contacted me via other means. (Don't want the mods mad at me for selling stuff here before I sign up as a vendor).

I'll see if I can get the idle to oscillate on a car here. I matched the ECU with one of the same year but maybe there is a manufacturing difference between build dates. I could easily flash your performance map on your stocker and send it back to you for another swap... The ECU does learn how to maintain idle so you could try disconnecting your battery for a minute, then reconnecting it, start the car, let it idle for 5-10min without touching the gas pedal, then shut it off and turn it on again.

-Michael
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

The idle is so negligible maybe 300-500 rpms. I'll give it some time and let the ECU settle.

Quick Reply: Hackish ECU Reflash Review