Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Please Help! Ralliart won't turn over!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Ralliart won't turn over!

If anybody could please help me narrow down the problems my Ralliart could potentially have, it would be greatly appreciated.

Heres some background info:

So a couple of weeks ago, I was driving down the road and noticed my Engine temp needle topped off and by the time I could make a decision my car shut off. I pop the hood and found coolant sprayed all over the engine bay and the top radiator hose blown off (clamp wasn't secured tight enough prior to incidence). After I let it cool down, I put the clamp back on, topped the coolant back up, and just tried turning the key over. As I try it on the side of the road I get a static shock and the car doesn't start. No compression. My brother and I than replaced the head gasket that had blown from the engine overheating. I cleaned up the whole engine bay and am pretty positive we timed both marks on the dot. But when I try to start my car now, it seems so close to wanting to turn over but still doesn't want to. I replaced all the fluids and spark plugs. My Ralliart is relatively new to me but I would say I am fairly mechanically inclined. I'm not sure if it is a sensor that can cause my issue or what but it's giving me a headache. If anybody can help me out and give me input on any possibilities, it would me more than appreciated.

Thank you
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:06 PM

Auto or manual? If it's auto, I could be wrong but there may be a safety feature?? I don't know about the Ralliart specifically, but I've heard about other cars not starting because of some sort of safety feature on an automatic. What does it do when you turn the key? Does it click? Does the starter turn?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mmoulton470
Auto or manual? If it's auto, I could be wrong but there may be a safety feature?? I don't know about the Ralliart specifically, but I've heard about other cars not starting because of some sort of safety feature on an automatic. What does it do when you turn the key? Does it click? Does the starter turn?
It sounds just like it would start right up but sits there and doesn't want to turn over. It's cranking and everything and is a night and day difference when we first tried figuring out the problems before replacing the head gasket.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Might want to check your timing belt. You may have jammed something and its possible you stripped the teeth on the belt
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:19 PM

If it's cranking Doesn't that mean it IS turning over but not starting?? -confused-
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:23 PM

My best guess would be when you got the static shock it blew a fuse. Possibly the fuel relay if there is one? Haven't really looked around in the fuse box much. Make sure you check all your fuses. If the fuel relay is bad the pump won't do it's job and your motor won't get fuel.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:26 PM

If it's cranking Doesn't that mean it IS turning over but not starting?? -confused-
No, it just means that my engine is cranking over but has another problem somewhere preventing it from turning over and running efficiently.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:36 PM

Ah, ok. Still, check your fuses and timing belt like Raikiri suggested.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:39 PM

Since it's not turning over, my only educated guesses for the possibilities would be the basic problems for an engine not starting; cranking speed, compression, ingnition voltage (with correct timing), and fuel (too lean/rich)

From there I can reduce the problems to two since I have perfect compression and am getting fuel leaving it to ignition and cranking speed. I haven't checked for spark yet since I'm at school, but that will be the first thing I do tomorrow. If there isn't spark it could be a number of problems but at least I can narrow down several other possibilities.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Might want to check your timing belt. You may have jammed something and its possible you stripped the teeth on the belt
I purchased a new timing belt so I don't think there is any stripped teeth. I'll have to take a look to see if everything has clearance but I am very meticulous with the work we did and both timing marks were dead on.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:53 PM

Ah, ok. Still, check your fuses and timing belt like Raikiri suggested.
Yup, my brother just checked the timing belt and has clearance. We checked all the fuses in the engine bay. Do you know where the fuse box is located inside?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Behind the lower left coinbox
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Behind the lower left coinbox
Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:09 PM

Could anybody tell me which one the ignition fuse is?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:35 PM

Just scanned it and came up with a P0102 code which is mass or volume air circuit low input. Along with an EGR. Which makes me think since we cleaned it with solvent if I ended up screwing it up and it's preventing the engine from turning over.

Quick Reply: Please Help! Ralliart won't turn over!