Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Help!! my RA suddenly accelerates when I have turned on the air conditioner!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!! my RA suddenly accelerates when I have turned on the air conditioner!!

Hi everyone I need some help my RA accelerates to almost 3000rpm when I'm in park or neutral, and it happened today when I was in a traffic congestion, my car is automatic, last month I changed the air compressor and I think this is happening because of this, because when it is accelerated I turn off the air and the rpms goes to almost 800 which is normal, I went to the mechanic that fixed the air and he check it out and told me that it have to be something else but i'm not sure of this, my car had has the check engine light on for more than a year because the car has no catalytic converter but when this happened I scan it and it gave me 4 codes ,some of the codes : P0171: System too Lean, P0134: Heated Oxygen Sensor No Activity Detected , P0506: Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected , . Well thank you guys any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by pj//ralli; Apr 28, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like toyota got there hands on this one...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I don't have a cat, and I don't have a check engine light, and I know others don't have it either with no cat. Honestly , if you have 4 codes, knowing what they are would be the most helpful info so we can help you....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
rrd
Evolving Member

check your floor mat ahah
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Well I don't have a cat, and I don't have a check engine light, and I know others don't have it either with no cat. Honestly , if you have 4 codes, knowing what they are would be the most helpful info so we can help you....

Well checking out my things found some of the codes : P0171: System too Lean, P0134: Heated Oxygen Sensor No Activity Detected , P0506: Idle Control System RPM Lower Than Expected , I miss one
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

First thing that comes to mind is a bad o2 sensor
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
agreed, but why would A/C cause it to accelerate the RPM?

i mean my A/C makes it fluctuate, but i don't remember it going that high, then again i haven't used my A/C since last summer...

And that's kinda F*ed if you've been driving lean for a year lol, i would take care of that...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having a similar issue, when I'm stuck in traffic doing 5-10 mph and it's hot outside( in the afternoon only, in the morning no issues), my car accelerates as well up to like 1500-1700 rpm but turning the AC off doesn't lower the rpm. My car is also AT. Doing some research online I have found that the throttle cable being to tight might cause this or the IAC or the throttle body being dirty.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dacib
I'm having a similar issue, when I'm stuck in traffic doing 5-10 mph and it's hot outside( in the afternoon only, in the morning no issues), my car accelerates as well up to like 1500-1700 rpm but turning the AC off doesn't lower the rpm. My car is also AT. Doing some research online I have found that the throttle cable being to tight might cause this or the IAC or the throttle body being dirty.

When I went to the guy that fix me the air compressor he told me exactly that, but what can I do with the throttle cable??
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
First thing that comes to mind is a bad o2 sensor

The O2 sensor that goes after the cat is broken I don't know how or when but one of the cables seems to be cut or burn something like that, can this cause a problem like this??
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by pj//ralli
When I went to the guy that fix me the air compressor he told me exactly that, but what can I do with the throttle cable??
adjust the tension? adjusting the tension is easy, if it's tight, you need a little bit of slack...there's a bracket at the end of the cable, and some nuts, if you look at it, you should know what to do...it's not rocket science...if it has slack and is sticking, buy a new one

The O2 sensor that goes after the cat is broken I don't know how or when but one of the cables seems to be cut or burn something like that, can this cause a problem like this??
...it might cause idling problems, but i can't see it having anything to do with your air conditioner...someone who knows more about it can answer this, i just know the failure of any sensor to do with engine control is bad, and it should be fixed...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:21 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Well there you go. I'd try to reconnect the wiring first to see if it's that simple of a fix. (disconnect your battery 1st) if that's not an option then get a replacement, those codes all seem to be caused from a bad o2 sensor , or in your case a disconnected one.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
adjust the tension? adjusting the tension is easy, if it's tight, you need a little bit of slack...there's a bracket at the end of the cable, and some nuts, if you look at it, you should know what to do...it's not rocket science...if it has slack and is sticking, buy a new one

...it might cause idling problems, but i can't see it having anything to do with your air conditioner...someone who knows more about it can answer this, i just know the failure of any sensor to do with engine control is bad, and it should be fixed...
^^+1 What he said.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Im willing to bet the wiring is rubbing against the heat shield. This happened with me (not the idle though). Then everytime it would rain while driving, the ecu fuse would pop. I didnt throw any codes though, so it took a while to find the problem. An o2 sim will fix the light for the cat. What mods do you have? The wrong size diameter intake at the maf could cause the sysrem too lean code.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ralliart610
Im willing to bet the wiring is rubbing against the heat shield. This happened with me (not the idle though). Then everytime it would rain while driving, the ecu fuse would pop. I didnt throw any codes though, so it took a while to find the problem. An o2 sim will fix the light for the cat. What mods do you have? The wrong size diameter intake at the maf could cause the sysrem too lean code.
What do you mean when you say that the wiring is rubbing against the heat shield?? If you can please PM me to know how you fixed your problem. My mods are injen CAI and OBX headers.

Quick Reply: Help!! my RA suddenly accelerates when I have turned on the air conditioner!!