Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

catback exhaust compatibility

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catback exhaust compatibility

hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm reletively new with car parts and whatnot, but I'm a fast learner and I've been elarning alot, especially just from reading around here, so thanks guys.

I just wanna know, I've been looking around for a catback exhaust, and I see theres a lot of them out there. I found one for 02-06 lancers, all models but it doesnt say ralliart. (I have a 06 ralli) will this be compatible or no?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-06-MIT-LANCER-...item2eb5511382

I didn't think there would be such disparity between the exhausts, I figured the only problem was that you could technically downgrade your exhaust.

btw, I've only looked under the car once clearly on my own, and I may be wrong, but does the 06 rlliart have two catalyctic converters? I know some cars like with dual exhaust have them, why would this be on a single exhaust car?

cheers

edit: I forget to then ask, should I be looking for an evo catback?

Last edited by serb_lancer; Jul 17, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The stock Ralliart exhaust is a very good design. Just get a muffler. If you want to change anything else, you might get the bashed-in midpipe replaced with a new section of pipe.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I agree, for stock exhaust it's pretty decent, but that bit of pipe that goes under the front sub frame is like totally uncool.

I'm going to say no on the Evo cat-back, since i'm pretty sure an Evo has a drive shaft where our exhaust begins, and i'm not sure about the base lancer exhaust, i guess i'll have to get under the ES sometime and a compare.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:54 PM

thanks. Thats what I meant by possibly downgrading. Any advice on finding a muffler? (I'm looking to add any hp possible).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
to answer your other question, there's only one catalytic convertor
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I would be surprised if any muffler gave any HP gains at all. You have to increase the volume and flow of your intake, head before exhaust will make much of a difference. For example: intake manifold pressure vs exhaust manifold pressure. it has to do with volume as well as timing. A tune is good idea as well.

If you're looking for more power, look waaay beyond cat back exhaust. And get ready to spend some money.

if you increase the cross-sectional area of your intake, theoretically you would be increasing the static pressure in the intake manifold by slowing down the airflow, ported manifold will increase the volume available to your increase in pressure, and ported head would increase the flow of the aforementioned. Then an easy breathing exhaust system would be a worthy upgrade. Then if you want to spend more money and get really crafty you could "de-stroke", change compression, DOHC swap, etc.

In my eyes it would be easier, and more cost effective to turbo, though it's expensive initially, the gain is far more impressive than an equal amount spent on NA modifications, and internal engine mods are not necessary with moderate boost.

However, the RA Lancer is quite a powerful car for it's engine type/size, just get a nice muffler, so she sounds nice, and choose the route you'd like to take, and just start small and work your way along, it's a fun car.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 18, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on my experience with this car 3-5hp with the muffler. The stock one id not that bad, the bigger numbers will come from a high flow cat and a down pipe. The stock DP loks like it got squished.....
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

if i got 3hp from my muffler, i sure as heck couldn't tell. Then again i'm probably losing power with the short ram intake.

And that downpipe has been bugging me for a while, i wanted to replace it, as well as the cat, but when i turbo i'll be making a new DP anyways and i won't be able to see the difference.

Hey Brent, if one were to increase volume an flow up top, would the stock exhaust minus the squished pipe and stock cat flow well enough to take advantage? i know you're an exhaust guy, i just research, and i know some theory, but you see it in the field.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:20 PM

I am looking at getting the OBX or RRM header/downpipe and then getting a maganaflow catback system or muffler. I have a couple question for the knowledgeable.

1. Both OBX and RRM Header/DP are a 4-1 race design. Will this be OK for my daily driver?

2. If I get the header/DP will I not need to get the catback and just upgrade the muffler?

3. I saw a nice Magnaflow cat-converter. It did not say "high flow" but I think Magnaflow is a decent brand. Do I need a "high flow" converter or does Magnaflow flow well enough?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:30 AM

For anyone in the gta area advance power house (aph) made me a custom exhaust and i already had a set of obx headers and did a high flow cat and 2.5 mid pip and 3.5 out and it fits beautifully with a 22inch resonator and a extended o2 sensor and my car sounds amazing and it is much quicker felt like a new car to be honest
managed to get a nice crisp deep sound i recommend this for anyone who is interested ask for Edward
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rumblefish237
I am looking at getting the OBX or RRM header/downpipe and then getting a maganaflow catback system or muffler. I have a couple question for the knowledgeable.

1. Both OBX and RRM Header/DP are a 4-1 race design. Will this be OK for my daily driver?

2. If I get the header/DP will I not need to get the catback and just upgrade the muffler?

3. I saw a nice Magnaflow cat-converter. It did not say "high flow" but I think Magnaflow is a decent brand. Do I need a "high flow" converter or does Magnaflow flow well enough?

Thank you in advance.
1. the obx headers are good made a big difference and perfectly fine for daily driver
2. you will be removing your catback with the headers and when doing your exhaust you will need to have the o2 sensor extended a new cat put in and resonator so basically a whole new exhaust system
3. personally go with the high flow cat but just ask if it is
4. it would most likely be best if you get a custom one done its so bad *** lol