Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Sloppy shifter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sloppy shifter

i have a question about my shifter. It engages the gears fine but it has no return to center. there is a 1lbs steel ball on the end of it and it is a very short shifter. this lack of spring in the shifter is making it very hard to be precise in my gear changes. does anyone have any suggestions on how i could make this any better?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think cranswick had this problem on his car might want to pm him or check out his threads
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yes, i have this problem as well, i'm working on the solution...i think it might be the return spring in the control housing...i will let you know...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Want to fix this issue for good and have a lifetime warranty while you're at it? Our products are definitely your solution

PM me for details!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Want to fix this issue for good and have a lifetime warranty while you're at it? Our products are definitely your solution

PM me for details!

Renato
Team TWM Performance
PM'd... i'm very curious as to what your solution is, and why you don't just post it, cause i checked out your website and you sell short shifters, bushings knobs, boots and accessories...and i'll tell you right now that none of those are the solution to the problem...

i currently have my transmission out of the car, and prior to disassembling it, the selector would not return to neutral when it was off the car, so it's not cables, bushsings, or any of that nonsense...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:50 AM

How much work is it to get at that spring. Is it actually in the transmission housing or is it just somewhere between the shifter and the trans?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crans what's the verdict with info from tmw? Looking for problems/solutions like this with the evo 8-9 should yield a fix since the shifters are identical.

Milhouse if it's the spring I'm thinking of its around the shifter base.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Erratum

We sincerely apologize about posting here. The post was done too quickly and I thought this was the EVO forum. Please keep us posted on what the solution is. We apologize for the confusion once again.

Regards,

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

it could be a few things...i have not heard back from TWM yet.

if you had a seizing cable, that could cause it...the spring in the shifter base is fine for neutral return, there are other ones that are in the control housing, they are internal to the transmission, they are part of the control housing...the select lever is the side to side on the shifter, which is the in and out on the control housing, that in and out motion has two neutral return springs, both pushing toward center, on mine one works, so the shifter doesn't stick to any one side, it stick to the left between 1st and 2nd, which i'm fairly certain is the top spring...

i know it's not in the car because when i operated the shift and select levers with the transmission out of the car, it was sticking...the really ****ty thing is that the spring may work fine, but something is binding, perhaps a bent shift fork or something...i'll look deeper into it as i put the transmission back together...you could try disconnected your cable ends and see if the shifter is returning to center, then you'll know if it's in the shifter base or in the control housing...

edit:

see above, i got a reply from TWM

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:58 PM

I'll see if me and wolf can take apart the shifter today and see whats going on with it.

The up and down gear selection is fine, its just the left and right motion while in neutral. It doesn't seem like its heavy or seized, just non existent. There is a slight resist to moving, but that's about it.

Where exactly are these top and bottom springs you're talking about and how do you get at them. And if they are seized, can they cables/springs or whatever is in there be lubricated to help with the feel of the shifter?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:07 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED

Turns out that when Rob had his shifter installed for him, they put the shifter return to center spring on all f***ed up and it did absolutely jack for the shifter. It was just kind of chilling there doing nothing.

Wolf has some pictures, maybe he will post them tonight if we get lucky.

Last edited by Millhouse_5; Sep 13, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

the springs i'm talking about are in the control housing...like the levers that shifter cables connect to on the transmission. #14 is the neutral return spring...

Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:41 PM

here is the issue... the spring was crossed when it wasnt supposed to...

now the arms are straight and it works perfectly

Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the spring I was thinking about wolf , glad you got it fixed an even better posting up pix for all to see how
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

I unfortunately didnt have the pleasure of installing that myself. I would have known there was something funky about it. The return to centre didnt really bother me much. lol

Quick Reply: Sloppy shifter