Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jah, definitely the TOB!! Thought so.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
P.s. This only happens when there isn't any load on the tranny/engine ( am I using that correctly?). While I'm driving the sound will only show when the car is in the middle of shifting (no load) or parked in neutral (no load).
that changes everything...the thing that gets me is parked in neutral, and clutch pedal depressed are two different states of the clutch, which are clutch engaged, and clutch disengaged, if it does it in neutral, it should do it all the time...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope all goes well mark, and it's back ont he road soon...
also awaiting the final conclusion of what it is for sure...like i said before mine's knocking sort of like that(also have to valve adjust, still....) and im like 90% sure its the tob...but i haven't listened from under the car and to my knowledge only heard it once from outsude the car...(i ussually only have the car on while im in it)...it mostly makes noise when im at idle(neutral, mostly w/ clutch not pressed) and slowing down(no clutch pressed, but still sometimes w/ clutch presssed)...

i had my wife drive it 2 weeks ago(i was sick), and i stood at the driveway for her to come pick me up, and heard her pull up and honestly, it sounded like a rock crusher driving by...just all kinds of nasty growling, knocking, ticking, rattling, crunching noises...and the other day one of my coworkers heard me drive by in reverse and was like "holy crap....sounds like your trans is about to just fall out...all sorts of nasty noises"

so im still debating wether i should do it asap(and either charge the parts or payroll deduct) or wait deliberately till tax time(when i ACTUALLY have $...kuzz its tax time)....:S

Last edited by nekkidlad; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Verdict is it was an absolutely destroyed TOB lol. I guess when she's put back together we will see for sure. P.s. could a mod merge this and the "dropping tranny/installing clutch" thread? FX11 will be working on it this morning while I'm at college. So more possible news?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:23 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take pics , and speaking of that I might start a thread posting pics of everyone's trashed tob....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Lol will do, I'll try and get a side-by-side comparison
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Take pics , and speaking of that I might start a thread posting pics of everyone's trashed tob....
Is this normal? I mean are our TOB's weak or faulty? Or is this just the normal for TOB's in lancers?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikemike396
Is this normal? I mean are our TOB's weak or faulty? Or is this just the normal for TOB's in lancers?
Honestly, I have no clue. The owner before me claimed he installed a new clutch, and in a clutch kit the TOB comes with it. So it isn't necessarily Mitsu's TOB being faulty, i assume, Just something our cars like to tear up, or like me, something heavily neglected
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

the TOB should last the life of the clutch, unless you're on the clutch alot...like holding the clutch pedal down in stop and go traffic, or at red lights...or even downshifting when you know you're coming to a full stop. that and aftermarket clutches may add more stress to the mix, though i've had my ACT stage 1 in for about 50,000km and used a mitsu TOB. no noises yet, and i hammer the clutch hard, A LOT
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Stock TOB are not bad. This one has just seen its time. OEM TOB are actually pretty good. But please remember that this clutch system is not like the Evo. The clutch uses a "PUSH" style, where the Evo uses a "PULL".
So for the Ralliart, the TOB is NOT ALWAYS connected to the Pressure plate. That is why you hear the noise when its in Neutral but the noise disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed.
The TOB should always be replaced when doing a clutch swap.
Many take the cheaper path and simply get nothing more than a new clutch disc without resurfacing the flywheel, replacing TOB, etc. This car is one of those cars.

When doing a clutch change, replace it all while the transmission is out. Replace the Rear Main Seal and also the Input Shaft Seals.
If you are simply getting a new clutch disc, then resurface your flywheel and replace your TOB.
If you are getting a whole new clutch kit, replace flywheel, TOB, and Pressure plate (if those aren't included in the kit already)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Admit it Crans, you're a clutch *****!

I'll say, if your clutch is at the point it needs to be replaced, its very likely the tob is going to need replacing too if not showing signs of wear.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

i don't spend a lot of time on the clutch at all, but when i am using it, it's offen in an aggressive manner...especially since i switch to redline MTL i can shift much quicker...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

I will say, that Redline MTL works great
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

That was my next question lol although I was going to search instead. I assume redline MTL GL-4 for the tranny it is! How of it? FX? Crans? Lol I'll look it up

Edit: 2.3 qts

Last edited by MarkChamorro; Nov 8, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

it's great stuff, it was noticeably better right away...

Quick Reply: Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch