Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Starter installation help.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter installation help.

Hey guys,
I'm pretty sure my starter needs to be replaced. I already bought a new one and my mechanic buddy is out of town for the next week, so I might attempt to do it myself.

Is there a how-to guide anywhere?
Or can somebody who's already replaced one post a detailed how to.

I searched but didn't find much....

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being my mom 10 being a trained mechanic, how hard is it to do?
And what tools do I need?

I'm hoping if I do it myself it may re-kindle my relationship with my car, I'm on the verge of driving it into a lake.

Thanks team.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by NonCents
Hey guys,
I'm pretty sure my starter needs to be replaced. I already bought a new one and my mechanic buddy is out of town for the next week, so I might attempt to do it myself.

Is there a how-to guide anywhere?
Or can somebody who's already replaced one post a detailed how to.

I searched but didn't find much....

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being my mom 10 being a trained mechanic, how hard is it to do?
And what tools do I need?

I'm hoping if I do it myself it may re-kindle my relationship with my car, I'm on the verge of driving it into a lake.

Thanks team.

I would give it a 2 or 3. it's really simple...you should be able to do it without taking the exhaust manifold off, but if you need to you can unbolt the exhaust manifold from the head to give yourself some more room. there is 4 10mm bolts on the starter heat shield, take that off and the starter is right there. disconnect negative battery terminal. there's two electrical connections, the main starter power wire bolts on (12mm I think) and the other is a quick disconnect. just make a note of which terminals are connected on the old starter, for when you install the new one...take pictures if you have to. once. under the heat shield with the starter is a bracket that one side of the heat shield was bolted to, I don't remember having to take it off, but you may need to. once it's all disconnected electrically, there's two long mounting bolts that hold the starter in place, it is bolted to the transmission bell housing, not the motor. it should be clear which bolts they are, and I believe they are 14mm like the other transmission mounting bolts. a "run of the mill" socket set should have everything you need to do the job.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:44 AM

Thanks!
If there was a buy a beer/coffee option on here, I would.
I really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I've already had one of each this morning...don't tell my boss though, I have to work later...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a pretty easy install. I had to unbolt the exhaust manifold to get to some of the bolts and take the heatshield off. I think I actually took off my radiator fans too lol. Overall you can do it with a socket set and some box wrenches.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a picture of where its is located on the transmission? I have replaced a starter on a 1G Talon before and it was on the back of the motor. Just curious.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
pic

View of starter from underneath the car - its just below the exhaust header holes, to the right. My exhaust has been removed to fit a crank scraper.

You can get the exhaust out of your way by unbolting the downpipe as you see in the pic, releasing the two oxygen sensor wires from their flexible little wire holders, pulling the hangar tangs out of the rubber holder, then shove the entire exhaust to one side and tie it out of the way with some string.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jul 18, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Good to know!

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I did it from the top. Lifting up the car and unbolting the downpipe was a little more tedious then unbolting the header
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

it's super easy like the other guys said its a handfull of bolts and it's out, theres one bolt towards the trans and it's kind of a squeeze...the rest is pretty easy and straight forward

TIP: use some locktite on the solenoid screws because they'll come loose if you bought an inexpensive replcement starter...(happened to me)

you'll have to take one of the screws off regardless because the factory put a ground on one(iirc) of them...it may be quite stiff to get the screw out, try not to strip the head
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:24 PM

Theres only two bolts holding the starter to the transmission. Just like everyone said it's stupid easy lol