Notices

Anyone having trans problems in their RA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone having trans problems in their RA?

I just was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me, i'm at about 8300 miles right now and currently on my 5th trans, i just got the car back a couple days ago and now there is noise coming from the drivetrain again. this problem qualifies the car as a lemon and honestly i'm just very happy to be getting rid of it. i bought this car thinking i would really like it, i figured being slow wouldnt bother me because of all the perks of a new car, but i hate this thing more than you can imagine.

oh well, this is the last time i make the mistake of buying a mitsubishi... chalk one up for another lost customer... and to think, i was going to buy an evo next year, pssh, there is a severe problem with the technical capabilities of mitsu techs at my local dealer, no way in hell would i ever go back there.

the other reason it bothers me is that i had a 92 talon awd, with a w5m33, over 85k, and i used to race it and beat the **** out of it all the time, never once broke. in this ralliart, all i do is drive, its a commuter and thats it, and the trans blows up. awesome, simply awesome.

/end rant, sorry if no one wanted to read my post.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

That's um... bizzare. You must have either had the misfortune of having some chimpazee's install your new trans'es, or done your best John Force impression with every single one. Something extremely odd is going on when you go through FIVE trannies.

Last edited by turbonutter; Nov 14, 2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

There's something really, really wrong with your car, your driving, or the techs at the Mitsubishi dealership you've been getting your transmissions replaced at. I'm not familiar with lemon laws, but at this point I think and hope that your car qualifies as a lemon.

I bet you've gone through more transmissions in your Ralliart than the rest of this board has combined. In fact, you're the first person I've heard of who needed their transmission replaced in the Ralliart. Keep us in the loop on this, I'm very curious as to what the real culprit is if you ever find out.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah i'm guessing you have a manual trans.
Either installed wrong or you beat the **** out of it. It is difficult to destroy ANY manual transmission. Even the ****tiest designs (and the mitsu design is NOT ****ty).
Do you even know how they work? How simple they are? Do you even know what kept going wrong with them?
Think about an automatic, 1000 times more complicated than a manual.
Whatever went wrong with your transmissions was not the design, it was likely how they were installed. I can't even imagine how someone could beat THAT hard on a car to go through 5 transmissions. Unless you had fun tossing between gears at lights without the clutch in. In fact, transmission problems with any new car these days are pretty rare, QUITE rare in fact. Manual and automatic.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by captain150
Yeah i'm guessing you have a manual trans.
Either installed wrong or you beat the **** out of it. It is difficult to destroy ANY manual transmission. Even the ****tiest designs (and the mitsu design is NOT ****ty).
Do you even know how they work? How simple they are? Do you even know what kept going wrong with them?
Think about an automatic, 1000 times more complicated than a manual.
Whatever went wrong with your transmissions was not the design, it was likely how they were installed. I can't even imagine how someone could beat THAT hard on a car to go through 5 transmissions. Unless you had fun tossing between gears at lights without the clutch in. In fact, transmission problems with any new car these days are pretty rare, QUITE rare in fact. Manual and automatic.
Let's not flame him off the board! I for one want to know what really went wrong, iff it's ever discovered. I highly doubt it's his driving, especially assuming his Talon had a manual transmission as well. My guess is there's something wrong with his car in particular that causes it to break transmissions (what/how I have no clue), or that the techs at the dealership he's been going to don't know what the **** they're doing and have messed up ever swap. The latter wouldn't explain the first broken transmission though...but that *could* just be coincidence (unlikely, I know).

Edit: LunchBocks, can you describe the noise your transmission is giving in more detail?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bring it to another dealer and have them look at it... I mean if you've gone through 5 trannies already... It's not you i'd assume, and if it's the car or the dealer, bring it to another dealer and have them give it a try... Btw this is only 1 mitsubishi car.. And if it is a lemon, they do exist so don't bail out on mitsubishi that fast... Give it another try... i bet your next ralliart will be better :-) AND DONT BUT IT FROM YOUR DEALER!! (just to play it safe)
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

i have yet to have any problems with it and i have 47k on her, wierd
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by no1v2
Let's not flame him off the board! I for one want to know what really went wrong, iff it's ever discovered. I highly doubt it's his driving, especially assuming his Talon had a manual transmission as well. My guess is there's something wrong with his car in particular that causes it to break transmissions (what/how I have no clue), or that the techs at the dealership he's been going to don't know what the **** they're doing and have messed up ever swap. The latter wouldn't explain the first broken transmission though...but that *could* just be coincidence (unlikely, I know).

Edit: LunchBocks, can you describe the noise your transmission is giving in more detail?
LOL I wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to explain that 1 with transmission problems out of a few thousand ralliarts doesn't mean they are all bad. 1 bad transmission before 100,000 miles is unacceptable. If my friend's Sunbird could go over 100,000 miles with no repairs, something from 2004 damn well BETTER be able to. Cars should (and do) get BETTER.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by captain150
LOL I wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to explain that 1 with transmission problems out of a few thousand ralliarts doesn't mean they are all bad. 1 bad transmission before 100,000 miles is unacceptable. If my friend's Sunbird could go over 100,000 miles with no repairs, something from 2004 damn well BETTER be able to. Cars should (and do) get BETTER.
Agreed!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think either this guy drove pretty badly or that he is just a troll (or hondaboy) tryin to spread mitsu hate..

let's analyze his situtation..

1. wouldn't mitsu regional be all over the dealer after the second or third tranny install? with all the warranty hassles the rest of us are getting, they would be all over it in an instant.. they won't let it escalate to FIVE trannies

2. if i were him, after the second or third tranny, I would think that the dealer is crap and went to another dealer to get my replacements done

3. he never specifiy said if it's the SAME kind of failure on all of the trannies.. so maybe he IS beating the crap out of them but are not admitting it

-joe
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
I think either this guy drove pretty badly or that he is just a troll (or hondaboy) tryin to spread mitsu hate..

1. wouldn't mitsu regional be all over the dealer after the second or third tranny install? with all the warranty hassles the rest of us are getting, they would be all over it in an instant.. they won't let it escalate to FIVE trannies

2. if i were him, after the second or third tranny, I would think that the dealer is crap and went to another dealer to get my replacements done

3. he never specifiy said if it's the SAME kind of failure on all of the trannies.. so maybe he IS beating the crap out of them but are not admitting it

-joe
I think he just hit it on the nail head, ladies and gentlemen.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy

-joe
Kinda what I was thinking. You were able to say it in a much more logical and easier to understand way lol.
Even if you WERE beating the crap out of the transmission, I still think it is hard to wreck FIVE of them. I mean beating the crap out of it, you might ruin one in 20-30,000 miles. But FIVE?!
Yes, we need an explaination of what exactly was wrong with them.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:58 PM

alright in response to all these posts... the surprising thing is i honestly dont beat on this car, i dunno about you guys but i dont really gain much excitement from trying to drive an economy car like a race car.

yes, its a 5spd manual, and yes i do completely understand how it works, i have rebuilt several manual transaxles and i'm currently in school to be a tech.
the first problem came along with a noise i can best describe as a gear whining, only under light load, which soon lead to a problem where the car wouldnt disengage from drive, kind of hard to explain, basically if i had the shifter in neutral and let off the clutch, the car would creep forward like it was still in gear, and if i tried to go in reverse it would catch a tooth or something and not allow to roll more than a couple of feet. i could get more specific but thats the jist of it, i didnt diagnose it because i wasnt the one who tore into the case, since i have a warranty i figured i would leave it to mitsubishi.

following a full rebuild, everything felt fine, no noises all good. the next day, the same whining noise returned, and became pretty damn loud... i went back to the dealer after a couple of weeks because i dont have a whole lot of time, they test drove it and claimed the noise to be "normal." i shrugged this off thinking, well, if they dont want to deal with a comeback i guess i have to wait for a failure. a couple of days later i also noticed a pretty good clunk when letting off the throttle and some real bad creaking from the front end. so i had the car up on a lift, checking things over, only to find a very loose bolt for the front trans mount, a bolt for the inspection cover only finger tight, a trans case bolt missing and 4 oil pan bolts missing. this lead me back to the dealer who claim that mitsu issued a tsb for the oil pan bolts, saying that the holes specified were not meant to have any kind of fasteners, then they said that the missing trans case bolt was supposed to be there also, but it was the hole next to it that was supposed to be left without a bolt. they tighted up the trans mount and a few other misc. bolts to tighten things up. the creaking was supposedly due to some kind of device installed in the front springs to keep the front end higher during transport that were never removed, they removed these and the creaking stopped.

onto the next drop off... i dropped the car off on a saturday, then received a call the next friday saying that they rebuilt the trans again but the noise was still present, so they were going to order more parts and do it again. fast forward a week to the next friday, get another call saying that after the 2nd rebuild they still couldnt find the noise and they were going to put in a fresh trans altogether. i got the car back the following tuesday, and it felt like a new trans does (you know what i mean) everything seemed tight, no abnormal noises or vibrations. that was Nov. 9th.

the drivetrain has some whirring, whining type noise again, although pretty quiet, i'm just real **** about hearing it now and i know that its there, and its real notchy, 2nd gear always grinds when its cold, occasionally when its warm, as does 5th.

it sucks because i want to just do the work myself, but i have the whole warranty thing to deal with, and being without a car is a pain because i commute 100 miles or so a day.

i guess whatever tech worked on the car just didnt do a proper diagnosis... and the thing is, they never touched the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, shift forks, input shaft, counter shaft, diff, spider gears, cross shafts, side gears, clutch fork, axles, cv joints, hubs, wheel bearings, etc... basically a Lot of the driveline related parts that see some kind of power input or rotational duty.
long post i know, but hopefully you guys kinda see where i'm coming from on this, i dont blame mistubishi but its hard to stay loyal after a bad experience... i'm still a dsm'er at heart which is pretty much mitsu but i think if i was going to continue driving a mitsubishi i would prefer if it was another example of this model, just because there is definitely something wrong with it and being new, i cant tear into it and diagnose it myself, again with the whole warranty thing and of course money issues.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:00 PM

oh, and i'm not trying to hate on ralliarts... i did actually like the car when i bought it, its just the problems become frustrating. it is a good car for the price and it does exceed in its category, i just got a bad one.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

sorry dude, like you said is just a bad one 1 in a 1.000.000. so maybe you shoul try one more before non wanting a MItsu again....LOL
Lemon law is good to 15 k her in CT I don't know what it will be in IL. and there have to be 3 intente to fix the problem if not resolved after that you are good to go go to the dealer and get a new one LOL.

Last edited by ciclon1; Nov 15, 2004 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone having trans problems in their RA?