Notices

Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 09:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If done for a reasonable price, and will last longer than the do-it-yourself method, then yeah, I'd be interested.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD I THINK IT WOULD BE 49.99 CANADIAN, oops caps haha, this would be a piece to replace the factory rubber insert, most ppl just torch it out then clean it a bit and push in the new piece. Ill look into it sometime this week.

Thanks
Tory
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd probably be interested in that. Cleaning out all the original rubber is a PITA, but it's quicker and looks nicer than Windo-Weld.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm i think it would be more work to take the rubber inserts out and put new ones in than it would be to put the urethane in there and let it sit. and as far as looks go, you will never see it. its buried and shielded. its like worrying about how ur spark plugs look. who cares?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

ya its a little bit of a paint to take rubber out basically you haev to burn it out then ist pretty simple.

Tory
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
Account Disabled

I am going full urethane although I did the RRM window weld trick and it works good. Once I go trubo though I will upgrade them with the RRM mounts.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik
hmmm i think it would be more work to take the rubber inserts out and put new ones in than it would be to put the urethane in there and let it sit. and as far as looks go, you will never see it. its buried and shielded. its like worrying about how ur spark plugs look. who cares?
I was saying that removing the stock rubber part was a pain, but since this is my only running car, I can't let it sit and cure for 24 hours. I bet I could replace rubber with urethane in a couple hours, tops.

Looking nicer than a blob of Windo-Weld is just a bonus.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

i let it sit about 12hrs, 2 being in the oven. drove easy on the way to work and let it sit another 8 hrs while working. its fine. since the first few days, once i had a chance to drive harder, i really am noticing the difference =)
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sweet_bucket22
I am going full urethane although I did the RRM window weld trick and it works good. Once I go trubo though I will upgrade them with the RRM mounts.
why would you do that??? its the same thing. and blk-majik, how does the windo-weld feel? is it still kinda soft/mushy, because i could never get mine to harden to where i like it. ive done several sets, but it eventually melts and comes out due to the engine heat. ive let them sit for weeks, and its the same results. and when i put them in the oven at 150, they just got softer and bubbled.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:19 PM

Question

I have a serious question. Wasn't Yoshi doing most of the work? I mean you look like you're hardly doing anything, that poor lizard needs some credit for the walkthrough.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

what is the latest on the windo-weld mounts? Are they still holding up ok? I read a review that used a two part type apoxi and they seem to work great..but takes a lot longer..
Old Mar 28, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

havn't budged and I take it to the strip at least every other week, usually more. For what its worth, I'm glad I went the route I did =)
Old Apr 30, 2005, 11:27 PM
Former Sponsor

On startup with the hood up is there a noticeable less amoutn of engine movement?

Also when you have the front mount out, and the crosssmember is out too, how hard is it to take out the rear mount? It looks like it is installed on the rear crossmember or a part of the subframe. My only woory about doing both at the same time is it could be a real PITA to get the mount positioned again.

How does your car feel after 4months?
Old May 1, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

i have a video of the car dyno'n. you can see the engine movement very well. i'll try to rip/encode it for you so you can see the engine movement. it still felt great until yesterday when the rear end disapeared the back shoudnt be too bad. just jack it up when u remove and leave it go. until the mount is done. when you lower, it should still be in the same place as long as u dont move the car at all in the meantime.
Old May 1, 2005, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Would you recommend doing the back also?

Quick Reply: Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY