Notices

Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY

Ok, so after a long wait, I finally got this project started. The idea of this is to reduce wheel hop and provide a better launch. It should REALLY help with very high powered engines, but sure wont help for any of us. RRM has a how-to with some good background info available here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...e/rrmcorner/14

I am posting this HOWTO because several people (including myself) still had questions about this mod.

So here is what you need to start:
14mm socket
14mm low-profile wrench
long socket extender (18" or more)
2 jackstands
jack
Urethane-based sealant (IE: 3m Windo-Weld. its part no 51135-08609)
cauke gun (if using tube-based urethane)

the first problem people usually have is finding the windo-weld. I got my at Discount Auto Parts. May want to search on google if you cant find it. My tube cost me $11.

So to start, jack the front of the car up and put it on the stands. do all the usually safety stuff (e-brake and wedges for newbs). pop the hood (duh).

Lets start /w the tech docs. Here is how the motor mounts to the center member.
Front:

Back:

Part 3 is the Front mount. For you advanced crazies, Part 7 is the rear mount. Note that that pic has details on the 2.4L and 2.0L engines. just worry about the 2.4L one if ur a ralliart guy. I wont get into detail about this just yet. The cross member is Part 4. It runs from the front to back in the center of the engine bay, just under the motor and attaches to the frame. By front, I mean front of car (ie: front bumper) not front of the bay (ie: cab firewall).

So here is what we should see:

And a closeup of the mount:

The muont has a bolt going through the center with a nut on the end. Part 1 is the bolt in the diagram. the nut isnt shown, but its there. Make sure you have along enough socket wrench or breaker to bust out 45ft-lbs, as you will need to do it.....from under the car. Get your 14mm and crawl under the car. break away. Note that you will have to use the 14mm wrench to hold the nut on the other side in place while you losen the bolt. take it all the way out. it should slide right out with little effort once its lose. make sure u dont misplace the nut. put them somewhere safe.

[EDIT] To make the next few steps MUCH easier, just remove the centermember (Part 4). Just take the 51 ft-lb screws out of the front and back of it, then work on taking the mount off. Heck, you dont even HAVE to take the mount off! Just fill it up while still attached to the centermember!
[/EDIT]

So now we want to get out from under the car and look down the engine bay from above. The rubber boot (part 2) over the mount will slide around a bit. Peal it back towards the drivers seat and you will see the first bolt holding the mount down to the centermember in front (as in front bumper) of the mount. its also a 14mm. there isnt much room down there to move a wrench (especially if you have a CAI and the header heat shield on). I used the extender on my socket to give me more room (the wrench was above the engine bay =) I suggest doing this too. Take it all the way out and put it somewhere safe.

Now if u look between the mount and the engine, you will see the 2nd screw holding the mount to the centermember. Its a bit of a tight fit. Take the 14mm low-profile wrench and crawl under the car again. You will have to losen it about 1/4 turn at a time, because the wrench will be between the 2 walls of the mount frame. A socket is too big to fit (at least mine were). After this is out, put it somewhere safe and the mount sould come right out! if its stuck, put a block of wood on on a jack and push the engine up a bit and see if that helps. i didnt have to do this, but Rob brought it up in his article and its good advice =)

Here is what we see when its out:

So take the mount inside, clean it up abit (i just soap and watered it). Dry it up really well and get ur windo-weld.

and here is the mount when its all cleaned up (notice yoshi, my 6month old tegu posing in the back):

So now we just fill er' up! slap that goop in there. Read the RRM how-to for some tips on timing. I just loaded it up and put it in the oven at 170degrees for the first 3 hours. then I let it sit over night.

After its had enough time to set (should let it go 24 hours), install the obvious way. 2 bolts first, boot, center bold/nut. One thing to keep in mind: The boot goes INSIDE the two arms of the portion that connects directly to the motor. When you put the mount inplace for the 2 frame bolts to be reinsterted. So dont forget to put the rubber boot in first! it goes flush up around the mount. Put the center bolt and nut on, but dont tighte. put the front bolt in the frame, and tighten most of the way. get under the car, put the rear frame bolt in and tighten as much as you (~34 ft-lb if you have a torque wrench). using the hand wrench and the socket, righten the center bolt and nut to ~39 ft-lb. if you dont have a torque wrench here, just get the longest wrench u have and get it TIGHT! get on top the car, use the extender and tighten the front bolt to ~34 ft-lb.

DONE! I just finished re-installing it and i'll get a review a bit later. I wana drive like a sissy on my way to work, as they have only been curing for like 12 hours. (I know, im bad. but i baked them for several hours and they are hard and solid).

Enjoy!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 09:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Great write-up. Only suggestion is to resize that diagram, makes it difficult to read this whole thing.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

yea, its big. but if u make it smaller, it pixelates. i tried and its hard to read, even if only lik 10% smaller. deal with it lol, its the best i could do
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job, thats almost exactly what I did. took the whole cross member out. make torquing and installtion easier I though
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

ahh, good thought. It was starting to rain and i didnt have time to think. for some reason i though the centermember also held the rear mount and if I removed it, the engine would become unstable. I'll edit!
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, here is my initial review:

I still have stock tires and this mod isnt as helpful because of this. Before, I could launch at 3k and have almost no spin at all. Now I have spin =) For me, this is bad. But, if I had better tires that could grip, this would be great! EIther way, I can catch a bit lower and still have more time to speed up before having to shift. and I do plan on getting new tires asap. So yes, this DOES help you get power to the wheels much faster and really jumps the initial torque. I was able to chirp the tires going into 3rd without any probs (except maybe a bit of clutch burn ).

great mod for the time and cash investment! If you have invested in new tires, this will especially good for you.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik
yea, its big. but if u make it smaller, it pixelates. i tried and its hard to read, even if only lik 10% smaller. deal with it lol, its the best i could do
Here, try these. You can link to the attachment address in your original post, and they'll show up full-size.
Attached Thumbnails Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY-front-mount.jpg   Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY-rear-mount.jpg  
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there any other adhesive or sealant that will work if i can't find windo-weld...none of the places around me carry it...some have never heard of it.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Find a decent-sized hardware or home improvement store, and look for a urethane-based sealant. Silicone (regular caulk) doesn't get as hard.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

windo weld works well for this little hack
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

yea, i think the windoweld is the ideal choice. or some other pure urethane goo. a liquid sealant doesnt seem right for this. the windoweld when fully hardened is still kinda soft and rubbery so you will still get some movement, but not alot. this is exactly what we want.

its a 3m product. try directly from 3m.

Myszkewicz: thx, ill link em up =)
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

wait a couple weeks (if that). itll start to come out.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

on our mounts its not bad cause there s a slip in the center so the whole thing is basically glued in there pretty good so aslong as its done properly as far as cleaning it shouldnt come out at all.
Would people be intrested in a polyurathane bushing if i got a few made?

Thanks
Tory
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Always depends on the price but I would be interested.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

i would be

Quick Reply: Front Motor Mount Hardening DIY