Notices

MIVEC's three profiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

-

Actually, the diagram seems to represent one typical lift cycle and shows the low and mid lift curves overlapping. That would mean that only one cam profile is used under 3,500 RPM: one valve is practically closed and the other is half open. So in essence, I think the confusion (mine at least) stems from the fact that MIVEC has three different valve lift settings, but it actually uses them in only two seperate modes of operation.

So my conclusion is this: MIVEC only has two working states (or modes), high or low intake valve lift, depending on wheter the engine revs over or under 3,500 RPM. So nothing changes somewhere around 1500 or 2000 RPM or wherever... it's only a misconception amongst some people (and even journalists if I recall correctly) who were (myself included) mistaking "lift settings" for "operating mode".

I think I get the whole picture now... thanks again to everybody who contributed to my growing knowledge of mecanics, especially PR_Mivec!

-
Old Jun 1, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tuffguy
That makes a little more sense.

However, I noticed something when I disabled MIVEC. Even at idle or at low RPMs, that metallic raspiness disappeared. Assuming that I was not imagining things, would someone like to guess what's going on at that point?

PR_Mivec - You've probably seen this, but just in case you haven't:

http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_01.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_02.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_03.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_04.gif
http://www.technogeeky.com/ralliart/Stuff/mivec_05.gif

thats the document i quoted
Old Jun 1, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

Actually, the diagram seems to represent one typical lift cycle and shows the low and mid lift curves overlapping. That would mean that only one cam profile is used under 3,500 RPM: one valve is practically closed and the other is half open. So in essence, I think the confusion (mine at least) stems from the fact that MIVEC has three different valve lift settings, but it actually uses them in only two seperate modes of operation.

So my conclusion is this: MIVEC only has two working states (or modes), high or low intake valve lift, depending on wheter the engine revs over or under 3,500 RPM. So nothing changes somewhere around 1500 or 2000 RPM or wherever... it's only a misconception amongst some people (and even journalists if I recall correctly) who were (myself included) mistaking "lift settings" for "operating mode".

I think I get the whole picture now... thanks again to everybody who contributed to my growing knowledge of mecanics, especially PR_Mivec!

-
I think you get it. See like you said, there are only 2 "modes". Idle-3500 is with the mismatched lfits (one intake valve open a little, one open halfway). At 3500, it switches, now both intake valves open as much as possible.
3 different lifts, but 2 of them are used AT THE SAME TIME (<<<<key point)
Old Jun 3, 2005, 02:24 PM

I wish my 2zz motor had 3 profiles, but it rocks a 2100 lb car with 2.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trial mr-s how's Ft Bragg this days? i was station there from 94-99 (82nd AVN) when i was in. thats one nice toyota too
Old Jun 3, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

this was super informative, i love this site.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 05:01 PM

Fayettenam is probably the same place it was back when you were there. I was 82d INF. I'm in Houston now. Thanks for your comments on my Toyota. It's fun to drive around and so is the Ralliart. My g/f wants a new Eclipse, but I dunno about that.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrialMR-S
Fayettenam is probably the same place it was back when you were there. I was 82d INF. I'm in Houston now. Thanks for your comments on my Toyota. It's fun to drive around and so is the Ralliart. My g/f wants a new Eclipse, but I dunno about that.

Tell her if she pays for it.