Notices

RE: Failed o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Failed o2 sensor

Has anyone else here had any problems with they're o2 sensors dying on them?

I've had my car for a year and a half and have a AF gauge for about 8mo. now and my CEL light came on and I took it to the dealer and they said its my o2.

Anyone else have this?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

mine RRM CAI made my o2 sensor throw my cell... it went away after driving with granny acceleration for about 5 miles
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

What was the actual code they pulled ?

O2 sensors are actually covered for 3/36,000
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

He didn't say what the code was. They just said that they were unable to perform tests on it b/c the gauge was interfering w/ the signal.

Now I have two questions. First, does anybody know what brand of o2 sensors Mitsu uses? Are they Bosch?? Nevermind, they are. I looked into it. heh
Secondly, can anyone here see/explain how a device used post operation (b/c it doesn't interfere w/ a signal and all a o2 does is transmit info right?) cause fault w/ a part? I personally think they're being stupid.

I want to have some proof JUST IN CASE they try to do anything. Now, if it turns out through my research that a gauge CAN damage a sensor then I'll suck it up and pay. I'm not trying to get out of paying for something here. I just think they are.

Last edited by Daddymac; Aug 23, 2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

if you are in doubt, then disconnect the gauge (the purple O2 wire), drive around for a week and if the CEL goes away, then it's not the sensor..

-joe
Old Aug 23, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Joe, the dealer said the sensor may already be damaged. Besides, you and I both know its not the sensor. I've had mine for 8 mo. you've had yours for some time as well. Have you ever had a problem like this? Probably not.

It just sounds like the dealer is looking for a way out. But, Like I said...lets see what transpires next time I go down. They said they have orderd a new one to see if that clears the code.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DADDYMAC

the guage only reads the signal being put out buy the O2 sensor, it doesnt send anything anywhere so there for cant interfear with the guage. tell the techs to go back to automotive school and electronics again. but seriously its just a pretty light that reads the singnal from the sensor nothing more.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Daddymac
He didn't say what the code was. They just said that they were unable to perform tests on it b/c the gauge was interfering w/ the signal.

Try to find out what the code was. It will help us a lot if we know what's causing your CEL light to stay on.

Malfunction / Slow response / Lean / Rich / Shorted / ect.....

I'm also running an Autometer A/F gauge for 2 1/2 years ..... no problems. Prior to that it was on my previous car for 6 years and no problems.

Putting a new sensor in won't clear the code. The light might go out but the code will be stored in the ECU. Only way to clear the code is by using a scan tool or disconnecting the battery.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silversleeper
DADDYMAC

the guage only reads the signal being put out buy the O2 sensor, it doesnt send anything anywhere so there for cant interfear with the guage. tell the techs to go back to automotive school and electronics again. but seriously its just a pretty light that reads the singnal from the sensor nothing more.
Thanks, Thats pretty well what I presumed anyways.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Try to find out what the code was. It will help us a lot if we know what's causing your CEL light to stay on.

Malfunction / Slow response / Lean / Rich / Shorted / ect.....

I'm also running an Autometer A/F gauge for 2 1/2 years ..... no problems. Prior to that it was on my previous car for 6 years and no problems.

Putting a new sensor in won't clear the code. The light might go out but the code will be stored in the ECU. Only way to clear the code is by using a scan tool or disconnecting the battery.
Well, to add to the confusion. When I left the office today I started the car and guess what. No CEL. WTF?? However, the a/f gauge is still bouncing around WAY more then normal. I realize its supposed to pulse back and fourth but this is just spastic what its doing. Can anyone explain that one?

Oh, I and I know about clearing the code w/ the battery disconnect. I did that the first time the light came on a few days ago. It came back the next time I drove.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Daddymac
However, the a/f gauge is still bouncing around WAY more then normal. I realize its supposed to pulse back and fourth but this is just spastic what its doing. Can anyone explain that one?

It should have stayed on the Lean side ( red light ) when you first started it. It will stay there until your Cat is warmed then it will switch back and forth.

When you say Spastic do you mean faster than what it used to be ?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Faster AND it has a tendancy to pulse further into the RICH bar then not. But then it may also just stay on the lean side pulsing back and forth quickly as well. Thats what I meant by spastic.

Any idea why the CEL light would go off though?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

ECU probably compensated either a too rich / too lean mixture and got back your fuel trim where it should be.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so what really SEEMS to be the problem here. o2? Or something else?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Find out what your code is.

Quick Reply: RE: Failed o2 sensor