Notices

Where does that leave the ralliart...?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where does that leave the ralliart...?

Seems like the ralliart is gonna be one of the only sub-sports compact cars left on the market. Our fellow rivals are either being discountinued, N/A upgraded or F/I upgraded. So for the past few months ive been doing some research on the competition, this is the most recent information I can remember. Here is my take on some of the key vehicles close to the ralliart.

o6-o7 Nissan SpecV: Reports say that nissan is remodling this car from the
ground up. Magazines/web sites have reported it could be the new
azure. Nissan hot new coupe that share a scion tC resemblence. Its
a 2.5L DOHC Turbo FWD, while HP/TRQ isn't confirmed, rumor say it could be
put at 220-230hp.

2oo5 Toyota Celica GT/GT-s: Discountinued in the USDM. Still selling strong in
the JDM. No info on a future release.

o5-o6 Dodge Neon: Rumors say discountinued, as dodge is releasing an
sedan/SUV crossover to replace the neon, neon R/T and supposely SRT4.
There are spy shots on the web of this vehicle.

o7-o8 Scion tC: While the tC sells like hotcakes at a reasonable price
aswell, toyota want's to take the tC even futher. Reports in japan are
that there is a 250hp version in the works. Toyota is looking for a
ITR compitetor in japan and as the tC sales rise, it's looking to capatilize on
it. It's not confirm weither it's turbo or N/A, but the lil camry
motor holds boost really well, so that could be it.

o5-o6 Acura RSX/RSX-s: Rumor say discountinued after model year o6.
Sales have been slump with each year release. While the new o5 year,
which saw a front and rear refresh, extra 10hp, ITR cames, ITR FD,
ITR similar exhaust system, retouch up interior it's the best year
RSX-s we have seen in the states. We will never see an DC5 ITR in the
USDM, but this is as good as it gets. No official word if a future
release is in the works.

o7-o8 Mazda 3: As you all know mazda is soon to release there mazda
speed6 with a TMIC turbo, AWD and 6spd transmission. Details are
sketchy, but there is a spyshot floating around the web of a mazda 3
wagon with a wrx-like hoodscoop and it's said to be TURBO. Mazda is
known for it's turbo and it seems like there getting back into the
zoom zoom mazda speed" again. While no pics of the sedan have leaked,
there have been reports the sedan will get the same treatment as the
wagon. It's supposely a 2.3L TMIC turbocharge engine, no reports of
HP/TRQ numbers yet.

o6 Civic Si: The new civic Si is being rebuilt from the ground up. It's
no longer in hatch form and its back to it's coupe look. For the past
few months the rumor was it would getting a k20a2 transplant, which is
the same engine of the o2-o4 rsx-s engine (2.0L DOHC iVTEC 200hp/142trq),
but now with some extra document being found, it's said to be a brand
new engine from honda, it's suppose to be the new "R" series motor. The
new "R" series motor will be first found in the new civic coupe (non Si)
and sedan. Also the new Si motor is said to be SOHC! The new "R" series
motor are SOHC motor, while honda won't agree or deny, I got my hands
on a screenshot of the o6 Si phamplet were it shows it will be SOHC.
Hopefully this isn't honda punk'n us as they are known for the DOHC
powerplants. Anyways the new Si is a 2.0L SOHC iVTEC, it has 200HP,
8k redline, 6spd transmisson and LSD. Also its said to come with
factory navagation system. Should be out fall of this year.

o6-o7 Toyota XRS: This model may be discountiued after the o7 year. The
sales are very low than what was expected by toyota. As you know the XRS
is a corolla with a GT-s engine. While is sounds good on paper, the auto
media didnt take to it to great. It's less the steller reviews and looks
make it a weak contender, don't expect this car to be around long.

o7-o8 Lancer Ralliart. Our beloved car, the o6 model has recieved some refreshing updates exterior and interior wise, but still the same robust powerplant. 162HP, 162TRQ 2.4L MIVEC motor. Alot of webtalk and gossip has circle around a JDM like counterpart, a turbo ralliart. It's been known that RRM has been letting MMNA play with there turbo ralliart. There is no official word thou if it's in the works. I would love to see one thou, and get the same exterior/interior treatment as the JDM turbo ralliart. Will we see a turbo ralliart? Probably not, why? We have the evo here. Can't they both exist? Well, that's a toss up. It really depends on the market, but I do believe a wrx/STi like nature can exist, does mitsu think so?

Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

yeesh, those are almost all the cars that I've been considering when I trade in my ES in the future....lol

I dunno, I know peeps gonna flame me for this, but I been kinda leaning towards the new spec v.....haha, but I dunno yet, it's prolly cause I'm not really feelin the new look of 06 RA. If I can find 05 RA for a decent price, then I'll stay with Mitsu, but dunno yet. I didn't know the 06 spec v was gonna have a turbo though, interesting.....
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'll just past turbo in a years. It will cost less than changing my car to have a 80HP/Tq upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

also the honda SI gonna be double-wish-bones for the suspension setup. which is a lot better than what we have right now. most of the new cars have the new setup. it's horrible as hell....so yeah. honda is gonna bring back the old setup.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

^^^ im glad you mention that. I forgot to add, the new o6 Si is gonna have "track-tuned" suspension, that's what honda has stated. While alot of cars (like us) get "sports-tuned", they got "track" .

The new Si is looking really good, props to honda for going back to the roots of the vehicle.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 04:50 PM

I think Mitsu should just do away with the OZ keep base ES, Ralliart N/A, and Ralliart Turbo. Like mentioned above I think the market could handle two, Subie does it and it works. Base Ralliart could turn into new OZ with standard 162 hp, and Turbo Ralliart for those who want true performance about 250 HP +, maybe LSD,bigger wheels, stuff like that. Evo is still in a class of it's own, alway's will be...it's a race car for the streets (wish I had one). Mitsu is going to have to step it up a notch to stay competative in our price segment for 07-08 model year. Everyone else in our class is going to have 200 hp minimum. If we do get the HP increase the price will surely climb to 21's or 22's, maybe even higher if a turbo model. I myself wouldn't mind the increase if it were a turbo model. If they don't, can always think about Eclipse GT Ralliart edition coming out soon.

Last edited by Mitsuracer27; Aug 23, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
o7-o8 Lancer Ralliart. Will we see a turbo ralliart? Probably not, why? We have the evo here. Can't they both exist? Well, that's a toss up. It really depends on the market, but I do believe a wrx/STi like nature can exist, does mitsu think so?
They've done it in the past, with the Eclipse GST and GSX.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
^^^ im glad you mention that. I forgot to add, the new o6 Si is gonna have "track-tuned" suspension, that's what honda has stated. While alot of cars (like us) get "sports-tuned", they got "track" .

The new Si is looking really good, props to honda for going back to the roots of the vehicle.
can you post that picture of the si? want to see that motor.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

track tuned... sport tuned... just some stupid guy probably saying... "hey bet we will sell more if call it track tuned" its all marketing. after all i doubt they would market a car with too sweet of a suspension cuz "most" people dont like a rough ride
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

^^^ nah man, honda did the homework with the 8thgen Civic Si. This car is shaping up nicely.

Originally Posted by reimundo
can you post that picture of the si? want to see that motor.

Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ehh... I think the new Si is certainly better than the old one, but still... not too pleasing to my eye. Nice color tho.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

That new si looks a lot like a tC don't you think?

As far as the fate of a potential factory-turbo RA, that may be decided by what the other manufacturers decide to do with competing models. If everyone is is going forced induction, it wouldn't be too shocking if mitsu followed suit.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
They've done it in the past, with the Eclipse GST and GSX.
Unfortunately if you recall also the last turbo awd vehicle untill the 8 hit stateside. I don't think a "mid priced" turbo ralliart would be economically viable for Mitsu. For starters the RA is only 10k less than a EVO! 5K for awd and a more tried and true platform..... Hmmm let me think about it..... uhhhhhh NO! I do not think I would spend close to 25 grand on a front wheel drive turbo version of my car. I hate to say it. I love my Ralliart, but it wallows like a fat pig around corners and rides rougher than a 80 year old.. we'll say car for family friendliness. They need to depreciate the hell out of our cars by releasing the ralliart as a turbo only FWD if they want it to survive. Imho, I think the OZ needs to go as well. Lets face it, most people change the rims and springs right off the bat anyways... Just cross you fingers and hope for a miracle like the evo getting a turbo 4g69 or sharing our platform. Now before you think I'm all doom and gloom, the Lancer will live on! The Neon "replacement" suv/hybrid/term of the year... was alleged to be based on our platform by Motor Trend. If luck holds out it will and we'll get some widespread aftermarket and possibly mother mopar performance parts (they reduce but don't eliminate your warranty). This is all if we can afford a gallon of gasoline by 2007 anyways... :-P
Old Aug 24, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down

-

That Civic body is quite ugly... it looks fat at the rear and just like a truck sat on it at the front.

-
Old Aug 24, 2005, 08:25 AM

06 Sentra Spec V - will remain very similar to previous models. Like Mitsu, the style change is set for 07 or 08. If it brings something different, probably would be one or two parts already available from Nismo build in, or ABS as standard. The advantage in this car is weight, since it do not include ABS, side airbags, etc, etc, which brings weight down.

06 Scion TC - I recently asked on a dealer about the TRD supercharger and apparently it still is not available. Without it we do not have to worry.

06/07 SRT-4 - In 06 there will be no SRT4 since they stop producing the Neon body and made the changes to the plant required to build the new model. No details right now about how it will looks, so we will need to wait probably 'till 08 while DCX works with its new baby. As the SRT4 probably will be released 1 or 2 years later than base model. The only good thing is the promise of the World Engine. Hyundai, Mitsu and Dodge will use the same engine, thus in theory having OEM parts made in greater quantities, thus reducing production cost per part, and as a side effect, probably excellent aftermarket sharing between them.

07 CIVIC - LSD and more HP, the way Mitsu should go with the Ralliart.

07 Ralliart - Looking at the EVO X photos, we'll have an idea of body style our car will have, probably not that sporty, but remember while our bodies are not the same, have their similarities. Hope they bring the Ralliart HP up to 200 since they are working to up the EVO specs to 300hp. Also my recomendation, cut the OZ-Rally. Hurt sales and gives confusion having two Rally models of the same car.

Last edited by rpmseeker; Aug 24, 2005 at 08:29 AM.