Notices

help on mivec

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on mivec

does anybody know how mivec works? my friend has a vtec motor and can make the vtec kick in when ever he wants with a push of a button. he said it is really simple and he thinks he could do the same to the mivec. if you guys have any info please tell me.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a couple threads that explain it really well, including a link to the original Mitsu tech docs. MIVEC does not work the same as VTEC, though. Nobody has yet figured out how to control MIVEC on the USDM engines, but people are definitely trying. Thus far, people have only figured out how to completely disengage it, but not actually control it.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

The old MIVEC was like vTEC, but only better...
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
There are a couple threads that explain it really well, including a link to the original Mitsu tech docs. MIVEC does not work the same as VTEC, though. Nobody has yet figured out how to control MIVEC on the USDM engines, but people are definitely trying. Thus far, people have only figured out how to completely disengage it, but not actually control it.
who is working on it? need more info , has much as you guys can give me.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Puerto Ricans not on the board, those guys are nuts about this car. I know that the person who figured out how to disconnect it is PR_Mivec, he'd probably be your best bet.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:23 AM

Go here:

www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/ about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2003/15E_08.pdf

Just go to google or Yahoo and just type in the engine code for the Ralliart which is 4G69 and all the engine info you need will be listed.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:26 AM

^ You might want to highlight the whole address, I don't know why it only hyperlinked half the address but just copy and paste the WHOLE address from www- to -.pdf. Hope this helps
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the mivec swithover is oil-pressure-driven, so i am told. the vtec is rpm-sensor drive. if you could read the oilpressure output to the mivec controler input, modify it, then replay the modified signal to the mivec controler input, you could adjust it. however, i dont know where either is or what kind of signal they are. if found, anyone with basic electrical engineering experiece could put the circuit together and probably control it /w a rheostat
Old Sep 22, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ask the celica GT-s owners. There 'LIFT' is oil pressure driven too. I believe they modify away to get a better kick than stock.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think RRM should consider his as a good mod to go with next...
Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

There are some things we need to figure out before we go playing around with MIVEC. First off, is the oil pressure sensor and on/off kind of thing, or a varying voltage type thing? If it's the varying voltage, that'd make it more difficult to simulate in order to get an earlier switch point. Also, is there anything else that the ECU looks at before making the switch?

Somebody needs to find the pressure switch, then probe its wires to see exactly what's happening at the switch point.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

From other converstations about this I have come to the understanding that it wouldn't be beneficial to change it... mitsu put it right where it needs to be... but no one has proven this... I would think that if it was at a lower rpm you would loose low-end torque... I would like to turn it off and on from inside the car but I do not want to effect how well it works when it is on...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

keep in mind thou that the MIVEC engine that are in your cars are not the true mivec as your cars only have the single cam were as the true mivec which is found in the FTO's are twin cams which is why they are able to rev as high as they do up to the 8000rpm point and they only start making power from 5000rpm were ours make power from the 3500rpm point - from my understanding the only way that you can get the mivec cam to work better is to advance the cam shaft using a adjustable cam gear by a few degrees but with doing this you are definately going to be needing a piggy back like the GReddy E Manage to help alter the the injector and ignition firing

and if you are wanting to go further then a new modified cam shaft to replace the stock one