Notices

opinion on gtech pro kits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
opinion on gtech pro kits

ok in my september issue of sport compact car, page 145, i see an add for gtech pro. www.gtechpro.com/co ... it says it mesures 60ft time, 1/8 1/4 mi time, hp and tq, rpm and shiftlight......

well heres my question,, will this work for our car, will it be accurate, and how do u guys feel about this?

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one, and I like it, but I don't get the use out of it. It will work, but the rpms don't work all the time. It gets the readings out of the cigarette lighter from the alternator current. Even without the readings there, it still works fine. The only thing that affects is the shiftlights. Most of the features on it are started and ended by a button push or g's from your cars movement. I am interested in selling mine if you like, pm me. I have the pro rr, and all the accessories with it.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 09:33 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If it pulls RPM readings from current, that makes me think that the UD pulley is going to throw it off.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:45 AM

I thought that JOE'SEVO8 said that the underdrive pulley didn't affect your alternator current though. Even still, you don't have to have the RPM's to use the unit. Everything with the exception of the Shift lights works on g's, and the unit is extremely sensitive. It's a good unit for testing mods and whatnot, it will give you your readings minus every environmental reduction there can be during driving. The website does state that the RPM's are not guaranteed to work on every car out there. That's trial and error, but all you need the cigarette lighter for, if it doesn't read rpm's, is power. Everything else is stop or go or a push of the ok button.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:47 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The UD pulleys affect current at idle, which I'm thinking might affect the baseline reading on the GTech, unless it auto-calibrates or something.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:17 AM

You calibrate it, but it takes idle into account when you calibrate the rpms, if it reads them.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart2004
I have one, and I like it, but I don't get the use out of it. It will work, but the rpms don't work all the time. It gets the readings out of the cigarette lighter from the alternator current. Even without the readings there, it still works fine. The only thing that affects is the shiftlights. Most of the features on it are started and ended by a button push or g's from your cars movement. I am interested in selling mine if you like, pm me. I have the pro rr, and all the accessories with it.
Some cars need to have the headlights on in order for the RPMs to be accurate. That's how my Eclipse is. Calibrate the RPMs with the lights on, and leave them on when you use it. Should be good to go from there.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well, lets think about this. I've stated in a previous thread that JOES UD pulley DOES effect the alternator output buy about 2.15 volts. I have a VOLT meter that was reading 14.4 ALL the time (the thing NEVER used to move) and now w/ the UD pulled it will dip as low as 11.9 depending on what acc. are on.

So, if the Gtech takes readings from the cig lighter then how accurate could it be considering the reading WILL fluctuate (due to the voltage spike as the rpms raise) from idle to even 1000 rpm's.

Anybody have more info on these?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 01:24 PM

Everyone here keeps talking about that RPMS, but that is the least of your worries when you have the gtech, it doesn't need them to do anything except shift lights. The unit itself is very cool, it will give you horsepower and torque ratings, 1/4 mile times etc. Then it has the road race mode, which records you lateral movements to tell you how hard you are driving and see where you could push more.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart2004
Everyone here keeps talking about that RPMS, but that is the least of your worries when you have the gtech, it doesn't need them to do anything except shift lights. The unit itself is very cool, it will give you horsepower and torque ratings, 1/4 mile times etc. Then it has the road race mode, which records you lateral movements to tell you how hard you are driving and see where you could push more.
Well, when one wants to export a run to Excel, it's nice to know what RPMs you launched at and were shifting at, right? That way you can compare: If I launch at 3k vs 5k, this is the difference, or if I shift at 6k or 7k, here is the time and G difference... etc.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

I enjoy my gtechpro with rr upgrade, seems accurate on #'s. A bit of setup but nothing overwhelming just numbers and settings for weight and rollout.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

i would buy this but the UD pulley thing is making it iffy... when u hooked it up to a stock ralliart, what was your weight you typed in? and what was stock hp on it? thanks
Old Oct 18, 2005, 06:19 AM

I typed in the gross vehicle weight plus my weight, and for horsepower I used 163, at the time I had sri and catback. I don't know for sure what the stock hp on it was, but when you do a run, your hp varies to driving conditions. You have to remember that there are many different factors in street driving that could change the output of the unit: Wind, Slope, Friction, etc....., It's not a mobile dyno, but if you use the same testing conditions, it can be very effective. As for the UD pulley, that will not throw off any readings the unit gives you, the only thing that the UD pulley will affect is the shiftlight/rpm readings. If you wanted it for that though, you should just buy a tach.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, how does the Gtech compare to the BELL models?
Old Oct 18, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

wait, you had to type in the 163 hp?? i thought the thig tells u ur hp?