Notices

Ralliart or XRS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart or XRS?

well, i know my name says "es" but i bought an 05 OZ back in december. the car had an electrical fire Feb. 7th due to a janky wiring job from a local stereo shop.

anyways, ive been thinkin, i really love the look of the lancer, whichever model. but i like the speed of both the ralli and the corolla XRS.

the problem with the XRS is the the body kit looks like its just glued on and look kinda cheesy... the ralliart looks nice and clean. both cars and around the same speed, the XRS has a 6-speed and VVTl-i(variable valve timing) which acts like a Vtec... it kicks in at 6800RPM and goes to to rev limiter at about 8200rpm.

the ralliart has power all the way through which is very nice, so they are about the same 0-60

the corolla XRS is a 6-speed so that means better MPG on the freeway.. but more shifting, also the XRS is about 2,000 dollars less

the ralliart has the MIVEC which is nice and the guys at my local mits dealer are awesome( the guy i buy my cars from drives an 04 EVO)

he likes to go fast too..... anyways, on the testdrive for the ralli i got on the freeway and a VW GTI VR6 blew by me, so he told me i gotta catch up and see what this thing has, did 115mph like nothing. i really liked it i never got to open up the XRS...anyways, help me decide please
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

With all the RA parts that are being made for the car it is going to be an easy upgrade for more power... there are plenty of nice Bodylits out there as well so the choice is simple if you ask me but then you are after advice from a very biased group and by you posting this sort of question on a Mitsubishi forum I think you have already made up your mind - you just don't know it yet
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:28 AM

Here's what I would do. I currently drive a 2004 RA and if i was to trade it in today, I would probably go with the new Civic SI, especially if you plan on doing upgrades in the future. The Ralliart has been out since 2004 and parts are still rare compared to other cars in that class.

Other than that I've been happy with my RA!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think the look of the XRS is terrible. A guy here at my job as one. It looks like it's standing on its tippy toes cuz of how high it sits. Especially the rear. The interior is a little nicer than the RA's, but I'd still choose the RA over the XRS.

The GTI's are real nice. But I'm not fond of owning a Golf. That's just me. If I'm going VW there are others that I would choose over it. But it is a really nice car with that turbo. Once again, a guy here at work has one of those too. lol
Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I drove an XRS. Not a bad car but there is NO low end grunt. Gas miliage is negligable. Higway is rated at 32 mpg for the xrs plus you have to run premium. I would go ralliart. You will like the bigger motor and it is a lot easier to drive around town.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:50 AM
FAV
Evolving Member

As an previous owner of a 2005 corolla S (not xrs), id say go for the RA is more unique, better looking and feels nice to drive. the XRS is torqueless which makes a big diff. and the RA has a killer warrenty. needless to say, the ra is an awsome car.
FAV
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove an xrs when shopping around before deciding on the 04 Ralliart. It's been said before but I'd like to chime in and agree - the XRS has absolutely NO low end torque at all. the R/A was a much more exciting car to drive in my oppinion.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

are you seriously looking to buy a corrola? please tell me your joking. thats not even a comparison to the ralliart. Now if you were asking between the nissan sentra spec V to a ralliart then you have a debate. but come on dude, a corrolla? power windows is an option in those cars, redicoulous, and no matter what horsepower they say those engine have its not fast and nothing is made to go fast. if you had 21,000$ to spend i would get a subaru wrx
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

the XRS just looks aweful from my point of view. Every time I've seen one I've declined the image in my eyes.

The look of a ralliart is more aggressive than a sedan with some skirts and lips tacked on. Yes the 6 spd is more shifting but by driving a standard car, does that even act as a concern? VVTI kicks in at 6500+ rpm? How often do you drive your engine that aggresively? And if you do(or plan to do) gas mileage shouldnt be a concern cause no matter what you'll be eating up your gas tank. Mivec 2.4L engine consists of well balanced power from torque happy low end to busty high end.

Just some thoughts to get through your mind. I will not chose one over the other for you
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
are you seriously looking to buy a corrola? please tell me your joking. thats not even a comparison to the ralliart. Now if you were asking between the nissan sentra spec V to a ralliart then you have a debate. but come on dude, a corrolla? power windows is an option in those cars, redicoulous, and no matter what horsepower they say those engine have its not fast and nothing is made to go fast. if you had 21,000$ to spend i would get a subaru wrx

just so you know, the corolla is in the same class... why not think about buying a corolla? my buddy has a 98 corolla with intake and exhaust and he can stay right next to a lexus is300, so i wouldnt talking **** until you know. the spec-V in very uncomfortable i drove one and wasnt really impressed.

any my friend with the 98 corolla, loves to pull up next to a new ralliart and rev, cuz most people think "oh its a gay corolla" and when they take off they cant lose him at all... 0-60 in his car is about 7.1

oh, and the WRX for 21k is absolutly wrong being that i live in southern cali and the new ones are about 26k and insurance is about 340$ a month for me to drive one, ralliart is about 250

anyways, i know im talking to people who are bias to a mits but what are the bad parts about driving a ralliart? other than not having enough aftermarket YET

Last edited by SocalES; Mar 13, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SocalES
just so you know, the corolla is in the same class... why not think about buying a corolla? my buddy has a 98 corolla with intake and exhaust and he can stay right next to a lexus is300, so i wouldnt talking **** until you know. the spec-V in very uncomfortable i drove one and wasnt really impressed.
I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this one. Was the IS300 even "racing" your buddy, or was he just keeping up with one on the highway? Comparing a Corolla to a Ralliart is one thing, but the Corolla to an IS300??? Come on man!

But anyway, to answer your question.....I have nothing bad to say about the Ralliart in and of itself. Do I wish it was marketed better? Sure. More Aftermarket? Of course. Are there little nit-picky things that could be better? Yes, but everything can be better.
But the car itself is fun to drive for it's price category.

I say drive both and come to your own conclusion. After all, it will be yours to live with.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

a 98 corolla staying with an IS300? with just an intake and exhaust... I dont mean to be disrespectful, but the driver of the IS300 sucks.

It is hard to find something that is disliked about the Ralliart, considering you're in a forum for the Lancer's, and the sub forum of Ralliart. People here love their cars, and though you may wonder that there's got to be something bad, I personally can't think of one. With a Toyota, you'll obviously have a much more high tech'd interior, as in the designs of the center console, maybe more options such as a factory alarm system.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ill pretend I did not hear the comparisson.....

The XRS cant hold a candle to an RA. I stomped on XRS when I was stock and nobody dared go against them cuz they had 10 more hp. That 2ZZGE engine for toyota was nice when it was in the celica and it produced 180 hp and kicking VVTLI at 6000 rpm. Now they detuned it to gruntless gay status. While you wait for VVTLI now, Im already 3 cars in front of you. Not even at top end.... get this, they limited the speed to 125.... I already hit the fuel cut in 5th gear til way more than 130, which is the end of our speedo.

Also looks, just lower the RA with a suspension and you got yourself a PANTY PULLING RIDE. If you start modding only to BPU(basic performance upgrades) RSX and 06 Civic si will be forever resting in your rearview mirror
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

ya i was just about to say that, the corrola vs the is300 hahaha so full of sheet. and sorry for u living in southern california where wrx's are 26k. and insurance for me on a brand new wrx is 3$ more than my RA. so have fun with your corrolla boys. and im not biased towards mitsu. 125mph top speed? what a joke, i get to 140 no problem.

has anybody mentioned the corolla xrs has 127 lbs torque to the fly???

Last edited by Ralli04Art; Mar 13, 2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

ok so no1 believes me that the corolla stays with an is300... the thing isnt your average corolla trust me... he DESTROYED my 05 OZrally 5-speed... and with an automatic in the IS there is no driver error really, its pretty much all the car... even with tiptronic the IS cant pull til about 60mph...

here is the link to the corolla rolling start at 10mph to 75mph and tell me that car isnt on steroids..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RHj7aiUpeS0

have fun with that guys... im not talking smack on the IS and the corolla isnt the greatest car, but i give him some credit for being able to do that...

now back on topic

Quick Reply: Ralliart or XRS?