Notices

exhaust 101

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust 101

ok, bash at me as you will, but i need to know something. I tried searching, but the thing is I need to ask several questions on one thing. Anyways, I'm looking into getting an exhaust, now before you say magnaflow, which is a good brand, I need it to meet some of my standards.

Ok, so first of all, I do want it to be in the 2.25-2.75 tip range, which isn't a problem.
Next, I want to to be turbo ready, meaning, some day once I do go for turbo, I wouldn't have to buy a new one.
And finally, I want it to have a really loud, deep sound. 've heard some on this forum and this one was really ricey. Someone posted a clip of the stock exhaust sound right after it and the stock one sounded so much better. Anyways, so yeah. Is there any exhaust that meets my standards? I don't care too much about the popo, they can suck my... anyways, also one more thing, if there is something like this, please link me and or give me a price! thanks a mil, [i hope this is the right forum to post it in]

mivec power!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Save your money! If u genuinely ARE gonna turbo it, and its not just a pipe dream, do it properly in one hit.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

search arithmetics recent posts, he has a soundclip of his greddy2 and the rrm magnaflow linked in one of the posts. as far as going turbo, go at least 2.5"ID, maybe even 2.75" to ensure enough flow when you need it. Other than that search some video sites for exhausts to get the sound.

BTW, if you didn't want to have a ricey sound you shouldn't have gotten a 4 banger man, my .02. There isn't much you can do to make it sound any better than the best sounding ricer out there.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw a Skyline the other day with a "Powered by Rice" (with a little rice bowl with chop sticks) on the back window... The first thought that went through my head was "Wonder where he got that?"
Old Sep 13, 2006, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan

BTW, if you didn't want to have a ricey sound you shouldn't have gotten a 4 banger man, my .02. There isn't much you can do to make it sound any better than the best sounding ricer out there.

well, I don't hate ricey sounds, I just don't want an exhaust that sounds like it. [does that make sense? I dunno, I'm freakin tired right now] anyways, a Subaru is a 4 banger and with an exhaust, that boxer engine gets me wet. jk but it seriously sounds so nice. And I don't really want to wait to buy it all in one shot because I hate how our stock exhaust looks, if Mitsu only put a chrome tip, i wouldn't care so much now, but I rather have a nice sexy exhaust coming out of my car's rear if i can, thanx!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Just make sure you run a good quality resonator... That will help get rid of some of the "Tinny" sounds you hear from most imports... Could always try a 50 series flowmaster just to try something out of the norm...
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have to agree with you on the subaru's. My STI has that low grumnbly note and it just sounds amazing.

but keep in mind subarus are more expensive than our cars. A turbo will help with eliminating that ricey sound also.

and im gonna have to agree with sp33dy also. if your going to turbo it. do it all at once, you'll end up happier.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, if it s only for sound that you wabt ab exhaust, maybe you should invest on a good sound system

when you'll go turbo, it will be the time to change the exhaust ... 2.75 or 3''
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

you can get an exhaust that will be loud for our cars now, but when you go turbo it will quiet down. Proven.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

so is this all of the info you can provide me??? please give me some more info!!!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Mmmmm...

THe piping will also change the sound, you're asking for something I dont think anyone really has from the soundclips I've heard, it's either LOUD and RASPY, or LOW TONE DEEP SOUND. In a way, I feel my RRM Axleback has the LOUD and DEEP combo, but after a while it has turned quite raspy.

And you dont really want a 2.25 tip, that is really cutting it down. Minimum 2.5, as well as your piping, I think 2.75 is a good mix for turbo down the road for our cars.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Even if you plan on going turbo, you won't need more than a 2.5" exhaust. However, turboing a car is going to give it a very different exhaust note. I would really wait until you get the turbo and then do the exhaust. A well-flowing exhaust that'd sound awesome on a turbo is going to sound like crap on a NA car.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

dam, because I got this crazy idea of saving money by not having to buy 2 exhausts over time and just go for the gold right now. I might just get the exhaust tip, sure the stock is one of the best exhaust I ever heard, it's just that I have 2 problems. One, I don't think it's lud enough, I want to attract attention like a *****, and second of all, my exhaust is actually a little dented... why? hehehehe, yeah....
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
dam, because I got this crazy idea of saving money by not having to buy 2 exhausts over time and just go for the gold right now. I might just get the exhaust tip, sure the stock is one of the best exhaust I ever heard, it's just that I have 2 problems. One, I don't think it's lud enough, I want to attract attention like a *****, and second of all, my exhaust is actually a little dented... why? hehehehe, yeah....
Well if you want loud go big dia. free flowing, however, in a 4 cyc, that also equals "ricey"...There is NO aftermarket exhaust that meets your requirements, of loud and grumbly, but not ricey, IMHO.

the stock exhaust has a nice sound, and really, how much gain to get from the cat back exhausts on these cars? 5-10 hp?...if that's not, it's not worth my money to drive around sounding like ***, and tempt pissed off cops to give me tickets.

Edit: if you're current exhaust is already dented, what do you think will happen to that fat tip you want?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you just want it louder and still deep, have a muffler shop build you an axleback using a Magnaflow muffler (forgot the part number, but you can search the forum for it). Magnaflow makes one that comes with a 3.5" double-walled tip that looks really nice, and it shouldn't cost you too much. Outta hold you over until you go turbo.