Notices

RRM PULLEY Concern

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM PULLEY Concern

Hi Ralliart buddies, I am about to purchase my UDR Pully from RRM and i was wondering if it will break because it is made out of aluminum. One of my buddies use to have a Nissan 240 with a SR20 with stage 3 turbo and he said he's UDR pulley broke because it was too light....and he said the stock pulley handled the power better...

I was just wondering because I have not seen any bad reviews on the pulley yet...Only seen good comments and review..

I told him maybe he's pulley broke because he have too much hp.. He had about 400 WHP dynoed. I dont think the aluminum pulley will break on my RA... Any comments/advice to this please tell me... He ****en scared the **** out of me that if the pulley breaks during driving, it can **** up my whole engine.. Please help...
Thx

Mods:
Injen CAI (with K&N filter)
Custom CBE with Magnaflow Exhaust and Tip
Full Underbody Lighting 6 colors
Progress Tech Springs
PIAA 9007 Headlight Bulbs
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

his pully probably broke because it was over-torqued, or under torqued. If it were over torqued it would cause too much stress, and if it were under torqued, it would eventually become slightly "Sloppy" and the vibration would detroy it. The crank would take alot of vibrattion too.. that would be bad. Or there is a chance the aluminum could have had a weak point.

I know some people have had pully's for a long time. Ask Joe.. I think he was the original inventor of it
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:26 PM

Thx for the reply, Joe if you are here please comment me on this, My friend scared the Sh**t out of me.. I think it wouldn't be dangerous like on he's 400 hp car lol.. Thx
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had the RRM Pulley for almost 20k miles and no problems at all, it's a beautifully made, quality product.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:33 PM

Wow, thx.. taht is pretty long... Yea I am thinking about gettting it soon.. thx.. haven't heard any problems with the PUlley exept for the little battery watts loss on headlight which is ok..
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

You will be fine.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:40 PM

THX for the advice guys...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

lol i purchased the rrm underdrive pulley kit about 2 months ago and its still sitting in the box in my trunk because i dont have too much knowledge on the parts involved with the install and the one kid i know that said hed do it is always working...i ALMOST resorted to letting the dealership do it for me then i was like eh id rather do it myself soo im going to give it a shot this weekend...oh and if anyone has installed there pulley themself would it be difficult for someone who doesnt know TOO much about engines...lets say only knows the "basics"....?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
HP on the pulley doesn't matter, because the load never changes on the pulley, except when you turn the AC on or off. The only thing that would cause the pulley to fail is if it were over-torqued or unevenly torqued on install, causing the aluminum to fracture, and even the chances of that are slim on this pulley. Chances are you friend just had a cheap pulley.

Over 30,000 miles on my pulley and no compaints here.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by otter
HP on the pulley doesn't matter, because the load never changes on the pulley, except when you turn the AC on or off. The only thing that would cause the pulley to fail is if it were over-torqued or unevenly torqued on install, causing the aluminum to fracture, and even the chances of that are slim on this pulley. Chances are you friend just had a cheap pulley.

Over 30,000 miles on my pulley and no compaints here.

What is the perfect torque on the pulley? Because I think I would be installing it myself prbly with my friend and I would like to make sure that its on correctly...BTW thx for the post...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

dont worry about it .....u think ur RA is really going to make 400 horses??? I dont think so.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Ask Joe...here I am...

Alright in the event of your friend and his experience brings up a couple of questions. Was his pulley machined balanced? What material was it made from? Was it installed cofrrectly? What failed? How can they pinpoint the pulley to failure?

As long as the pulley is installed correctly, torque specs, belt placement, and proper maintaince to ensure belt tension and watching wear it should not ever give you a problem. I would not hesitate to use this pulley. I am using a pulley of similar construction on my 400crank hp EVO and I have no problems.

Hope this helps, I am interested in the answer to these questions.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

I think we need a pulley sticky every month we get a new thread it seems.

I have had mine on since it was released not an issue.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Got mine pretty early too, just after RRM took over selling it. I followed the instructions, it was a very simple job, and torqued to whatever was recommended. It's a good deal of power for the money.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamRA
I think we need a pulley sticky every month we get a new thread it seems.

I have had mine on since it was released not an issue.
+1

Quick Reply: RRM PULLEY Concern