Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who own Pulleys..

Hey guys,

Just a question about the Pulley.

So I'm installing it now and I'm up to the part where it says:

9. Next you want to take the 1/2" drive and pull it towards the front of the car which will take the tensioner towards the rear of the car. This will begin to remove tension from the belt.

When it says "pull" towards, is that clockwise or anti clockwise? Does the belt actually get lose?

And is the allen wrench meant to be in while pulling it towards the front of the car? Cause I'm pulling and nothing is happening, and thats exactly why im here, so you can point out my mistake.

For step 10:

10. At the point which you cannot pull the tensioner any more you will now see that your Allen wrench can be pushed through to hold the tensioner back. This step can be done with one person although it is difficult to hold the tensioner back and then push the Allen wrench through.

Am I suppose to put the wrench all the way in after I have loosened the belt?

Cheers
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for some typos
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Also, can someone show me where the tensioner is?? Noob question I know, but if it gets the job done, then Im satisfied! Ta
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know how to really explain it but when you pull it clockwise with the allen wrench thingy in, the tensioner itself will move counterclockwise and the drive belt will become lose allowing you to remove it. Then once the new pully is put on, along with the belt, you do the opposite of what you did to take it off to put everything back together. Sry if this doesnt help.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

The tensioner is the only pulley not connected to a pump. You can take the belt off while you pull the tensioner, so you don't have to do the allen wrench step. The 1/2" drive goes into the middle of the tensioner, the longer the ratchet the better.

Last edited by DangerousDan; Sep 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Okay so Im up to the adding the belt..

The problem Im having is trying to bolt the tensioner back. If I do, the belt is having a hard time going in... if the belt goes on nicely, the tensioner is having a hard time bolting back in..

any tips?

KILLING ME
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

bolting back in? Why did you remove the tensioner? To put the belt back on, route it back around all the pulleys correctly except the crankshaft pulley. Move the tensioner with the ratcher and put the belt around the crankshaft. Then make sure the belt is on every pulley correctly and do a test start to make sure the belt stays on.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

okay so i'll put the tensioners bolts back in place. Take the belt of the crankshaft pulley.

Loosen the tensioner with the ratcher and that should be able to let the belt back in place?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't seem to be budging one bit...

The belt does simply not want to go on..

Should I use the stock belt?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Come on fellas, Im having a dillema.

Basically the tensioner is not going back into place. The belt is routed perfectly, but the tensioner just won't budge back into place for me to bolt it in...

HELP
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

If I do it the other way and have the tensioner set in place, the belt is having a hard time going onto the crankshaft, seems theres no way in...
HELP
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

The tensioner should be left bolted in first. Then pry it towards the back of the car,place the allen key into a small hole keeping tension off, then route the belt and release the tensioner. I don't know where you went wrong.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Neither do I Adam....

So basically if the tensioner is left bolted, which it should be (I think thats where I went wrong)... how can I get the tensioner to be pushed back if the bolt is holding the tensioner in place?

Should I loosen the tensioner just a little and then pull it back, put the allen keys in place and then quickly route the belt and then release the allen keys?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

don't loosen it at all, it is spring loaded and can be pushed with a long ratchet from a hole in the side. Slip the belt back around the pulleys while you hold the tension pulley back with the ratchet.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

an automatic tensioner pulley such as the one on our engines pivots around a point on the pulley bracket. The tension is regulated by spring pressure. When you put the ratchet in the hole in the tensioner you can push it to loosen the belt. Look at the tensioner and you will see where to put the ratchet in order to do this. When you release the pressure on the spring it will try and push the pulley back against the belt.

I said to do the crankshaft last because it is the easiest to access from the wheel well. If you route the belt around all the other pulleys and then push the tensioner back you should be able to slip the belt around the crank pulley with your other hand. Once the belt is around the crankshaft pulley you can release the tensioner, it will force the pulley against the belt.

Quick Reply: For those who own Pulleys..