Notices

Exhaust Size. 2.25" or 2.5"?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROCK
NO. Go 2.5 and go slow. We tried it and compared it. 2.25 was better.

ROAD/RACE
This is prob your best answer!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went to a couple places today and ended with nothing really but being treated like an idiot...

first place didnt have any for my car, but they could custom build one with a stainless steel exhaust for about $450(aud)

the other place i went to, wait first when i went in there all the guys were in the back office part bludging, so anyway i talked to the guy and one of the other guys made a smart **** remark about how the pipe will be bigger than the engine, anyways he was saying the 2.5" is way to big and will have like no torque/loose alot of torqure or something i wasnt really listening and he said to go with 2" and i tried to explain that the stock is about 2" and he wouldnt hear it saying that its only like 1.5" or something and yeah i explained i wanted 2.5" coz im going turbo and yeah he found out its auto car and like was sorta putting me down about trying to turbo an auto, and like i tryed to say that its being done, and yeah they were really arseholes like treating me like a kid and yeah, but they said theywould do 2.5" if i wanted for about 230$aud with a straight through muffler.
like i know its a cheaper price, but i dont think i will go there coz id rather pay more and get better service.

but yeah i gotta keep looking around ... i want to go rrm, coz its tried and proven, but its too much to import, so i might get the piping done and just attach my own muffer...

any luck mitvrx
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Stevo,

I'm actually getting my exhaust piping and muffler fitted tomorrow. I'm actually going with 2.25" as it's probably the best path to take if I'm not going turbo.

By the way are you in Sydney?

Yeah, when I said I wanted to go 2.5" the guy laughed at me and said its way too big for a non-turbo car but in a nice way, not like being a smartass or anything. He said he can do it for me but I'd be just wasting my money. He also recommended 2" like your guy. (Did we goto the same guy?) I went to a place in Carlton.

Stock is 2".

Go somewhere else, its all about the service..I'll keep you updated..

Last edited by MITVRX; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MITVRX
Hey Stevo,

I'm actually getting my exhaust piping and muffler fitted tomorrow. I'm actually going with 2.25" as it's probably the best path to take if I'm not going turbo.

By the way are you in Sydney?

Yeah, when I said I wanted to go 2.5" the guy laughed at me and said its way too big for a non-turbo car but in a nice way, not like being a smartass or anything. He said he can do it for me but I'd be just wasting my money. He also recommended 2" like your guy. (Did we goto the same guy?) I went to a place in Carlton.

Stock is 2".

Go somewhere else, its all about the service..I'll keep you updated..
nah im in melb ...

after u get it done post up a sound clip if u wouldnt mind.

yeah service is everything (aswell as good quality stuff) but yeah i dunno just gotta keep looking,
though i might acctually wait a little longer, because i dont want to be driving around with a 2.5" and loose alot of power as it will be a while before i get the turbo upgrade ... might just put a hole in the muffler, lol, jk ...
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hole in the muffler? You're going to sound like a raspy v8 lol.

Believe me, I forgot to (yes I know its dumb) screw in the second o2 sensor and this sh*t was noisy as hell. Like, I'd rather walk 2 hours to work then drive for about 15 minutes lol.

2.5" and you will lose heaps of low end as I've been educated on, so really if you're sure of going turbo, go that way then.

I will post clips if the guy does it today, BETTER.

Cheers
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:51 PM

Do you guys have dyno #'s backing up your claims? Go 3", especially if you plan on going turbo down the road. You won't regret it unless you can't deal with the noise.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have dyno numbers backing up claims, but many respectable tuners such as RRM and a few others say 2.5" is too big. RRM have repeatedly ran better quarter miles with 2.25" over the 2.5". I'm going N/A anyway...

In other words, we are saying:

2.25" - N/A
2.5"+ - Turbo
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flybert
Do you guys have dyno #'s backing up your claims? Go 3", especially if you plan on going turbo down the road. You won't regret it unless you can't deal with the noise.
Yeah, and I bet you're running 3" and have dyno sheets in hand, right? Sorry to get on you, but I'm tired of people always thinking bigger is better! Just do some basic research and you'll find this to be wrong.

UNLESS you are pushing 300+HP there is no reason to go 3". Just read the Evo threads if you don't believe me. And trust me, those guys have much more practical experience than us RA guys.

If you stay with bolt-on NA mods, no bigger than 2.25". With RRM turbo, go 2.5" if you want.

I found these 2.5" vs 3" dyno's for a turbo 06' GTI. Even the tuner says quote, "the 3" design could not make as much power at the 2.50" Yeah I know this is a different engine, but the concept is till the same. The engine gets all bogged down and LOSES 40hp and 40tq!!!

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info...cfm?content=41

One more example of an Audi A3 where 3" was too big and quote, "Careful before and after dyno testing showed that for this car, bigger was definitely not better." Just look at that power band, all bottom end hp and tq is lost until 5000pms!

Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, I agree with Retro. The only thing I get sick of, is people just throwing the answers without actually explaining why they have chosen that answer.

For example: "go 2.5.." - not really a good answer.
A better example would be: "go 2.5", because... (list pros/cons)

Anyways, today as mentioned, I got the 2.25" catback exhaust pipe installed incl. muffler. Basically I've got the header/downpipe, high flow cat, 2 resonators and magnaflow canon muffler. And how does it sound? Sounds great! I can rev it all the way without having to worry about "popping" or "raspiness". I'll actually post some vids to show.

As already explained, you will lose low-end torque, in which I experienced. You will gain hp but very minimal mid-top end. Not noticable - but it's there. The difference between stock and custom catback is the fact (my own experience)..that:

STOCK: 2>3 / Rolling start, Gears two to three is very responsive.
CUSTOM: 2>3 / Rolling start, lose low end on second, and picks right up before switching to third and third takes off.

Now, I can't be 100% sure as it hasn't been dynoed or anything but from my perspective, thats the result i'm feeling.

Does anyone know how I can get back that low end? Should I switch back to short ram (don't really want to do that, so anything else?)

The guys that I was with did a great job and I thank them alot. If you're from Sydney, Australia, pm me and I'll let you know who to goto! Top price + Service.

Cheers

Last edited by MITVRX; Nov 25, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:48 AM

im getting a 2.25 cherry bomb resonator, is it ok to get a 3" muffler then?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

It really comes down to preference/cost etc.. are you in the market for performance or maybe looks+sound?

Let us know what you've got and what you want from your car.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, as promised, pics are up.

I did a video only to find out my digital camera didn't record sound - so I'll have to get a vid up later on a different camera.

Pictures up for now.

Last edited by MITVRX; Nov 17, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

2.25" Magnaflow, tried to take shots of the catback but its too low to the ground for me to take pics.. (okay I was lazy..)

But what do you expect after washing the car on a hot sunny day...
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

that is nice, i cant wait to hear sound.

nice, i was thinking of magnaflow as well, as ive hear a few clips off here from other peoples, does yours have that gargling popping sound when like revving down ?, coz i want that ... see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejzY7RQI3Y

but yeah, is the pipe custom made and put with the magna flow muffler?
how much did it set u back(u can pm me this if u dont want to post), coz the guy i saw said it would be about $400 for the muffler itself for magnaflow...

i think i might get those a-hole guys to install everthing 2.5" with there crap muffler, and just get them to make it so i can change it later ...
i dunno, i gotta buy xmas presents first ...
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Hey,

So I've been doing alot of driving recently and some reviews..

The sound is absolutely great. During idle, low revs and daily driving the car has a nice deep tone, nothing annoying, over the top or raspiness. On the other hand, when revving it to redline, it sounds absolutely sporty. This will also depend on your setup, and I think the guys at Best Mufflers have done a great job. I'd also like to say 2.25" is actually great. I did say before you would lose low end, but the mid-top end is nice as well especially on a rolling start. Really kicks in.

When dropping down gears, there is no "gargling" or "popping" sound. Not on my setup anyway. When idling and revving, I can rev it all the way to redline with very very very tiny hint of popping sound, but when I'll post you the vid, you'll see what I mean. You guys can be the judge.

The piping is custom made, 2.25" stainless steel coated with something rather not sure... and yes, the magna flow muffler. Basically its 2.25" catback with two resonators and muffler. It set me back $655.00 which I thought was an absolute bargain, and besides if that is alot, the service was the best. He didn't just do it and then I p*ssed off, he actually sat with me, talked with me, asked me what I wanted, the best gains for the car etc... so yeah, but I think $655 was an absolute great price.

Originally Posted by stEVOx
coz the guy i saw said it would be about $400 for the muffler itself for magnaflow...
I can't remember the price of the muffler as the invoice is in the car, but it was about $ (back now, went out to get the invoice just for you)... it was $259.09 for the muffler. I don't know where $400 came from, unless he means the full setup. How big is your muffler going to be? If you're in Sydney, goto this guy, he's the best.

Steve, don't just get anyone to do your exhaust setup, believe me, its your car, and you don't want to be driving around in something that may sound like absolute sh*t (excuse the language). It's like rims, get the ones you want, don't settle for second best and besides, don't rush, look around. Put it this way, I waited 3.5 weeks for this guy cause I was told he was the best (he had other cars to do, I was on the waiting list) and look at me now, happy as larry. I had heaps of other places to choose from but I waited. So wait ... it'll be worth it.

Nuff said, gone on for too long lol.

EDIT: Vid to be followed shortly.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Size. 2.25" or 2.5"?