Notices

Another (possibly lost) ralliart..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, same thing my dad said. It won't be mechanical issues, ityll be electrical. Auto Corolla here we come...
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:05 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

Talk about reviving an old thread.

Today it started raining a lot down here in PR and trying to back out of a totally flooded area, i found myself going against the current in a street that had partially become a river. Luckily the water wasnt but up to the foglights more or less, but since I have a CAI, when I tried to get up to a sidewalk to avoid the nastiest part of the water, the car started hesitating until it stalled. After waiting for like an hour and half for the rain to stop (no tow trucks available in the entire metro-area due to the floods), I took out the spark plugs and started the car (no geyser effect, even though I noticed that the #4 spark plug had a little bit of water near the electrode and btw, the entire engine bay was soaked in water). Since everything seemed normal, I put everything back on and when I started the car, the #4 cyl. sounded like it was hurt. I still drove it home at turtle pace (about a mile since I had to take an alternate route) and afterwards the car seemed fine.

Do you guys think that a little bit of water can do any damage to the internals or would it just hurt the spark performance, thus sounding like it was hurt?

Im going to test the car under load tonight since tomorrow I have a two hour drive to make.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hrm, I swear I replied to this already.

Anyways, if the car is running fine now then you're fine. The car was running rough for awhile because it had to burn through any remaining bits of water that were remaining in the intake.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:48 AM
rdc
Evolving Member

Thanks Otter, I ran the car last night and went on the trip today and the car seems fine but i'm noticing every now and then at part load that the car seems to momentarily stutter, as if a piston didnt fire up. Other than that, everything is fine.

On another note, I hadnt realized how bad the rain was yesterday until I saw the news today: 16in of rain....I wasnt in any of the worst places (i dont think I went any more than 4 or 5in deep) and yet water splashed all over my engine; the entire intake and the brake canister cover were soaked and the accessory belt started squeaking like h3ll
Here's a link to one of today's local newspapers showing some photos of some of the worst areas (obviously flood prone zones and near the end the area was near a river called rio Piedras)
http://www.elnuevodia.com/fotogaleria/638387/
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wow im from Puerto Rico too and in my area gets just like that or worst