Notices

speeding ticket of doom....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So lets get this right, you WERE speeding? You DID get caught... It happens, now be a man and deal with it appropriately... You'll not be able to prove any of this in court, just take a reduced speed of only 9 over, plead guilty to that, get no points on you license and pay your fines/court costs...

Gotta pay to play man...
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel your pain man but it may just be time to bite the bullet on this one. "Playing around" as you call it, is called "exhibition of speed" here in utah and they can now just take your car for it. Don't think that I am taking their (cops) side because I am not, however local law enforcement around here has no sympathy at all for anyone who's been ticketed for exhibition of speed, and you'll likely not get any either. Good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ahnospell44
Ok, So...I was playing around with my girlfriend, and was in front of her car going down a local street here. well I took off from the light and from a standstill a cop registered my speed at 59 before even the trip even registered a different . number, I went back later to see if its possible, but on trip giving the cop bennefit of the doubt at registering me I had just hit .1 on the trip before he would have been turned around waiting for me like he was, he cut out in front of my girlfriend and stayed on me. so my question to any of you is it possible for the ralliart *STOCK with bad tire's* to achive hitting 60 mph in less than .1? I tried and couldn't achive it even shifting like I was on a track...to me that seems like the cop really wanted to give out a ticket, and came up with a BS number...by the way I hit the brakes long before I saw him...however, when I passed him I became aware he was there, however, at that point i was only doing 50 max, and obviously went heavy on my brakes to slow down to the 45 mph speed limit. I had one of the guys from here try it from a roll, and he still with mod's couldn't achive that same speed from a roll...and I was standing still.
The fact that you hit the brakes when you passed pointed out to him that you were speeding.. Thats probably all he needed to know to give you a ticket..
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i dont know about cops out there. but cops here have Lidar and it feeds into their laptops which keep a log of every speed recorded. So they cant lie about your speed. i got shot with lidar when i was doing 17 over the speed limit ...and trust me, you wont win an argument with a judge against lidar. not in austin anyway..
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan_VRX06
Ummm as in 0-60 in .1 of a minute?? Maybe if the Millenium Falcon rammed you but...

0.1 of a minute is 6 seconds. That's also not possible for the RA, which has a 0-60 of about 7 seconds, IIRC.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

.1 of a mile not minute...although it would be quite awsome for the millenium falcon to ram my car...still 0-60 is 7 seconds which is what I thought.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Technically his argument is in 528 ft can the ralliart achieve 60 mph?? A ralliart can do 0-60 mph in aprrox 6.9 secs or 7.5 secs. but wat is that calculated into the ground or ft it needs to achieve it/
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I will go through my physics notes from college when I get home from work, provided that no one else has come up with a number before then

you still can't ever calculate mathematically the exact numbers, there are too many variables to consider. The biggest one is the fact that the acceleration is not constant, therefor the distance will be at best an educated guesstimate.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this whole discussion illustrates the type of conversation no judge or cop is ever going to waste the time to engage in. During this whole discussion not once has it been mentioned that you were perhaps not even speeding at all, but the degree of how badly you were breaking the law and honestly, they just don't care. I've been stupid enough in the past to say things to a cop like "i realize what i did was stupid and im sorry i was just messing around" as you've kind of said to us. if you said anything like that to the cop, rest assured he wrote that down on his report (read: admission of guilt), which occured at the time of the ticket. You give some really wierd stats that no one is going to bother with, including what your odometer/trip was doing at the time you got pulled over. no one but you, and not even you can prove what your odometer/trip was at before/after said ticket and your speed in relation. yes i realize you can measure the distance from the light to where he pulled you over, but thats going to be much farther than the aforementioned distance. take the energy you are investing in coming up with a formula that a judge will just laugh at anyway, and either get a lawyer or try to step down the charges to a lesser offense to get less points taken off the record. again, good luck man. these types of headaches are why i simply do not speed anymore.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Jan 23, 2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

well see the thing is I generally don't speed anymore, after my last ticket 89/45 to which I had to make it to my house for my grandmother *89 year old woman* the cop looked at me looked at my car looked at my age and said "you'll have to take your case to court because FL law requires you to goto court over 30 now." So I generally don't speed even in the event of emergencies and in this instant I did let go just to mess around persay. I'm not defending my actions, and I will probably just take the traffic school option because I need to do that in order to keep my liscence, but the final report of the original question was is it possible for it to have been achived, all the physics guys on here that's the final thing I want out of it then discussion can be closed.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:14 PM

well i got caught doing 126mph in a 65 by a texas state trooper.. and this is the only ticket that i couldnt have talked my way out of but the cops did hit on me... needless to say when i went back there to talk to the judge the DA was trying to get me put in jail but after he talked to me he said that he will just give the ticket which was only $296.. but on my record for 4 years... well thats what i get for slowing down and for thinking that open highway was good.. lol its a great story!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

^Thats hawt
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:29 PM

You won't win a case on point of fact, only point of law. Get representation and know your rights.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

at 6.9s to 60mi/h with an AVG acceleration of 3.8873m/s/s you only need .0588 miles to reach 59mi/h.

at 7.5s to 60mi/h with an AVG acceleration of 3.4581m/s/s you only need .0625 miles to reach 59mi/h.

so no matter what, you were speeding sooner than your tripometer would have changed over