Notices

if i remove the cat. what kind of gain do i get?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually im 20. and yes altering a car with non stock parts is illegal. not really enforced as much as other laws but it is. now ive already stated many time i will be goin catless when i get my turbo. if you dont like it.....oh well eh? my choice. just like its my choice what car i got, what MODS i do. to each his own. i asked an oppinion on gains. not if it was illegal or not. if i was worried about all the laws id drive a accent. i honestly dont care if its illegal. so drop it. i have my answer.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akujiki87
i like to live dangerously
lawl!

good call, your a regular bad-*** without a cat.
do me a favor,
sell your car,
and buy a bus pass.
you are a locust.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joho i don't think your comment about calling the people posting in this thread girls was necesary... Shows the amount of respect you have to others on the forum who have posted their opinions on here. Seems like you're the one who needs to grow up.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

exhaust parts fail, and need to be replaced. You can't modify your exhaust unless it fails. If you modify the exhaust it must still conform to obdii standards and emissions laws. there is a federal act that states it is legal to modify your car and that your warranty can't be voided b/c of it.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

+1^^
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Have a electric cut out welded to the down pipe and have the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
exhaust parts fail, and need to be replaced. You can't modify your exhaust unless it fails. If you modify the exhaust it must still conform to obdii standards and emissions laws. there is a federal act that states it is legal to modify your car and that your warranty can't be voided b/c of it.
Yep, that is indeed the concept that the government was trying to get across. I had a big concern about the warranty when i was modding my car, but thanks to that act i managed to prove the dealer wrong and they fixed my suspension (blamed it on my rims and engine dampener somehow..? haha). Most (not all) exhaust kits conform to obdii standards minus the decibel laws which i believe is 42 db in MA, not sure about other places.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Have a electric cut out welded to the down pipe and have the best of both worlds.
do explain, i've never heard of an electric cutout for an exhaust. does it just shut the car down when it gets past a certain point or something?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Just an electric valve that opens with the flick of a switch. You can weld it directly to the downpipe.

Last edited by DRFTKNGG; Apr 26, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
please don't run catless on public roads. it's not worth the power, it's not worth the damage it causes the environment, and it sounds like total ***.

for a race car you can get a test pipe for the track, for more power get a high flow cat welded in.
I have run catless for 3 years no problems yet....
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:56 PM

ok get a test pipe. if you ever decide to have it tuned it will work to your benefit. F!@K these hippies, the enviromental issue should be the last one adressed. if you are serious about making it faster, get a test pipe.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG

Just an electric valve that opens with the flick of a switch. You can weld it directly to the downpipe.
So essentially it makes it so you can have both a catted and a test piped' exhaust system?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sixfatbabies
ok get a test pipe. if you ever decide to have it tuned it will work to your benefit. F!@K these hippies, the enviromental issue should be the last one adressed. if you are serious about making it faster, get a test pipe.
That's another way of looking at it... (I don't necesarily agree with it, but if you want strictly a fast car... running catless is a good support mod for a turbo'ed car)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, it's better you go high flow cat. I didnt realize you drive a Lancer RA.
For the gain in HP, your better off with a cat. Keeping the air clean vs. gaining 2 hp isnt worth the pollution. You need the back pressure anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

backpressure=good (in this instance)
damage to environment=bad
no cat=less backpressure
no cat=more HP
no cat=less torque

so lose torque to gain minimal HP or forget about minimal HP (on a torque driven car) to maintain level of torque

Quick Reply: if i remove the cat. what kind of gain do i get?