Notices

Bike carrier question??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike carrier question??

I have a 2004 Ralliart, and me and my husband both mountain bike...Does anyone know of any good truck mounted bike racks for this car that won't ruin the paint. Everyone that is decent so far that I have seen will not fit with the spoiler on the car? I am not removing my spoiler!!! I need to carry two bikes safely without damaging my car, anybody got any advise? I do not want roof mounted carrier/rails, or a stupid hitch sticking out the back of my ride.........Thanks....Crystal.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/20A50055A1.aspx
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:28 PM

Do you personally use any of the racks on that site, cause they can't promise it will fit when I called, thier fitment guides don't include the ralliart, or any lancer with a spoiler for that matter? Plus They say only 1 bike may fit due to the spoiler??? WTF???
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmmm...

I work at a bicycle shop: I got a Thule roof rack on my Ra Sportback. For the sedan with the OEM spoiler you could try the Saris BONES 3 bike carrier (between $140-150 retail). I sold the last one at the shop this morning so I could not test fit it to the RA sedan of one of my friends at the pizza restaurant around the corner...

Old Jul 14, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My brother has a Saris Bones on one of his cars. Next time I'm out by him with my car, I'll give it a test fit.

I know the Graber Mountaineer trunk rack that I used to use on my DSMs doesn't clear the spoiler. It also wouldn't keep the pedal closest to the car from scratching it if you didn't remove it every time you loaded the bikes up.

I went with a Yakima roof rack instead. Most of the time, I keep it in the trunk. I can install it in a couple minutes, carry three bikes, and still see out the back window. The rack also locks to the car, and the bikes lock to the rack with the same key.

If you're totally set against a roof rack, I understand. However, they are my recommendation for safely carrying bikes on an RA.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

I've a Yakima unit on my 2004 sportback that fits nicely and doesnt seems to hard the paint. You can see a photo here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=273044

Last edited by drewbad; Jul 15, 2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:15 AM

I would be curious to see how the Saris Bones fits??? I would probably go w/ the two bike one though, will never be carrying 3 bikes. The only thing I dont like about the roof racks is that I'm short and I don't like lifting my 1600.00 mountain bike over my Ralliart. Don't want to damage the car or the bike. And I cant put the bike in the truck even with the front tire off, way to hard. Tried it and handlebars and front fork are almost impossible to get through the oval opening behind seats, Ralliart needs a complete passthrough!!! Any other advise would be nice..Let me know if the Saris fits if you get a chance. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

you might get the bike in if you tried putting the bike rear wheel first in the trunk... lowering the back seats and loosening the headset on the bike so the handlebars can be turned parallel with the front tire... thus being able to slide it right through the trunk onto the rear seats... the pedals might catch on the trunk floor but thats about it

as far as a bike rack on the rear with a spoiler not sure where to find one...

just get a bike case disassemble before you leave and reassemble when you get there... that way the bikes inside the car and you don't ever have to worry about it falling off or someone stealing it... case lays flat across the back seat or as before through the trunk onto the back seat.. plus if you ever fly somewhere and wanna take the bike ... you already have a case for it

sorry i couldn't have been a better help
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:13 AM

Don't really want to depend on the trunk, need to carry two bikes at the same time, one is full suspension so a little more bulky in size as well. Really wish someone had a fitment guide for the ralliart, haven't come across any rack company that does, I guess us bikers are only suppose to drive an ES and not a Ralliart....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

You could install a small trailer hitch and use a hitch mount bike rack. That should work and solve your paint/spoiler problems.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsuracer27
I would be curious to see how the Saris Bones fits??? I would probably go w/ the two bike one though, will never be carrying 3 bikes. The only thing I dont like about the roof racks is that I'm short and I don't like lifting my 1600.00 mountain bike over my Ralliart. Don't want to damage the car or the bike. And I cant put the bike in the truck even with the front tire off, way to hard. Tried it and handlebars and front fork are almost impossible to get through the oval opening behind seats, Ralliart needs a complete passthrough!!! Any other advise would be nice..Let me know if the Saris fits if you get a chance. Thanks!
At least it is a RA and not an SUV...

I used to go to MTB races with my friends and most of them got SUV & Mini Vans with Roof racks: After a hard&fun day it sucks to lift a dirty and dusty MTB to a high roof!

The 2 bike BONES has shorter arms than the 3 bike model...so the spoiler will be a issue with the shorter arms!

Also the 2 bike Bones only have 3 contact points (arm pads) vs 4 arm pads in the 3 bike Bones: that make the 3 bike model more stable. I sell that stuff and I can tell you that the 3 bike model is the best option for your application.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:00 AM

Yeah, I guess your right. The 3 bike bones would probably be more stable, and allow everything to clear the spoiler. I was just thinking the two bike bones would save me some cash....I just wish someone could tell me without question that it will fit and not hit the car before I buy one....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:40 AM

Will the Bones rack leave alot of scuff marks where it rest on the paint??? Just curious.....very particular about my car...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:59 AM

This is my bike....

Last edited by Mitsuracer27; Jul 16, 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Add text
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:35 AM

What about a Saris Bones RS....Any comments on that one?

Quick Reply: Bike carrier question??