Notices

Dyno Day: GearDownSon and DangerousDan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dyno Day: GearDownSon and DangerousDan

atenshun atenshun. we would like to announce that we will be each be putting our cars on the dyno on November 17 at Taylor's Sport -N- Import in Mooresville NC.

GDS's car: RRM turbo,megan racing muffler(stock midpipe section),(no cat),underdrive pulley,CUSTOM vacuum hoses

DD's car: rrm 1st gen dp, hfc, custom 3"axleback, ported head, cam, ported intake manifold, custom sri, pulley. may have it tuned, may not. depends on how it goes this weekend and if I have to work next weekend. the cam is profiled for turbo on the Mivec lobes, not the best suited for NA but it does the job while I am patiently awaiting free time to put the turbo on.

We are hoping to get GDS's car tuned up too, but the visit to the dyno will strictly be for a baseline this time around. I have one baseline from before my original tune already, and this one will be with all my mods before turbo. we are exploring wideband options for GDS; his gauge type AEM wideband has a 0-5v out, but neither of us have anything to log it with. We are looking into the RRM turbo piggy, anyone know if it has a free input? we aren't sure and he LOST the instructions probably going to have to swap mine in for his to tune the car, no biggy though.

anyone want to make any wild guesses? we decided to start the thread because some topics have gone awry lately due to this and one guess has put me around 200, I am assuming that's a dynojet guess but I

The dyno they have is an AWD mustang dyno, so keep your guesses at eddy current dyno levels, not inertia dyno levels.

Last edited by DangerousDan; Nov 3, 2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I will give you a link to the previous dyno thread later along with my guess, I have to actually work for a few minutes now before my shift ends.

EDIT: can't find the other thread. can't believe I never made one, maybe someone else can find it...

Last edited by DangerousDan; Nov 2, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I got the instruction I can probably scan if needed... Would be nice if my car was done then... Bone stock, RRM turbo, UD pulley...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

yes please

here is the link to my dyno chart, not sure I remember the mods but lets say without the axleback, head, mani, or cam.

http://dan.sidebottom.googlepages.co...N0310-full.jpg

EDIT: previously on a mustang dyno. 143.7@5500 and 145.2@4100.

I am guessing tuned I will be around 170+ for both HP and TQ on the mustang, untuned in the 160's.

Last edited by DangerousDan; Nov 2, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:48 AM

Are you looking for the 1 page turbo piggy insturctions or the Turbo instructions? I have both.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

turbo piggy instructions, the kit is in already
Old Nov 2, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. Awesome guys. Good luck... You guys are already on the dyno, get it tuned. Why just go for a baserun? git'r'done while its on the dyno
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

I don't doubt that they can tune cars, I just know I can do as good a job for free. The last shop I went to had no idea how to use the R4 software anyway, and I'm positive these guys have never seen a MAP ECU2. they have the means and knowledge, but it's cheaper and much more fun to DIY.

a buddy of his told him about the special they are running for October and I called and asked them if I set up an appointment for both of us would they honor it this month too. 50$ for three runs. I'm trying to see how far I have come, since I've done all my stuff myself, and GDS has yet to tune or dyno his car at all. The price is only 65$ for three runs regularly, so maybe he will go back after we get his car tuned. I know I won't be back until after the turbo goes on unless it's to watch.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All i have is an RRM turbo,megan racing muffler(stock exhaust),(no cat),underdrive pulley,CUSTOM vacuum hoses,CUSTOM mesh, an a EXTREME lightweight carbon fiber jdm mitsubishi front emblem. an yea a few blinking lights an firearms

All this is really going to show everyone is what an rrm turbo will do with a stock motor. No more no less.

Hopefully dan is as smart as i think he is an we can tune the car efficently at 7-9 psi if needed.
Thats all ive wanted from the begining.

Last edited by GearDownSon; Nov 2, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan,

my wild guess: 207 hp 213 tq (+/- 7)

GDS: 221 hp 217 tq (+/- 8~) for the love of god man get an exhaust on that thing! She cant breathe, that, and it sounds like your car weighs a bit more than it did stock. That'd be my guess as to why Dan is keeping up. After a tune and exhaust I bet you'd see a huge difference. Good luck both of you guys.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:22 PM

Hey Dan and Gear, I'm off that weekend, I might be able to go with you guys after all.....In case any one wants to know...my mods are..RRM SRI, Apexi N1 Exhaust, and soon to be installed UDP. Also I'm repping for all the Auto ralliarts in the world...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

HRMMM, I think the GDS's car should run fine... Rob has told me several times not to worry about the stock exhaust unless I just want more noise... Its 2.25 all the way through, and quiter....

At least it should work for me, I want a sleeper anyhow... GDS is no sleeper, so he probably needs a 5 gallon drum out back
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Dan,

GDS: 221 hp 217 tq (+/- 8~) for the love of god man get an exhaust on that thing! She cant breathe, that, and it sounds like your car weighs a bit more than it did stock. That'd be my guess as to why Dan is keeping up. After a tune and exhaust I bet you'd see a huge difference. Good luck both of you guys.
IMO far too generous on your prediction for Dan. I'm with Dan on thinking he'll be in the 170 to (maybe) 180 range. GDS should be able to hit 230, especially if he plans to tune for 9 psi.

GDS, I see you've already replaced your stolen firearm.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Dan,

No offense to dan or you but im gunna guess your way off.
Id be VERY surprised if dan hits 200.
You have to understand this is AT THE WHEELS not crank.
Im guessin ill be at around 215-225 hp 220-235 tq
When dan was keepin up b4 is when i was still on my stock FRIED clutch.
It slipped very badly in 4th an 5th gear.
But with the head job dan found some very nice power in the higher gears.
He was next to me an i heard him punch it an i seen his car pull much better than mine when mine was stock.
Id recommend this to you N/A guys
As for the weight issue your probly very right on that one lol.
Dan likes his rigs set up for autox. Its a light very tight driving car.
It was like a dream to me when i drove it. I told myself then that i was eventually going to get my car to feel like that.

As for the exhaust issue
I was told by rrm to keep it stock to eliminate boost creep.
If im not mistaken k3lv put a bigger exhaust on his car an had this problem.

Dan seems to think that with a little tweeking with the maps an a little bit different timing we can optimize the higher octane fuel we have available to us. If that mean going up a lb or 2 in boost then so be it. I will be keeping it under 10 though no matter what. I prefer reliability over power.
Our only obstacle now is the wideband issue which hopefully we can work out. But if worst comes to worst ill unplug mine an throw in dans (which has datalogging capabilities)

Last edited by GearDownSon; Nov 3, 2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

and it's a mustang dyno, I am shooting for the 170's tuned GDS should be shooting for 220 and hoping for 230. guessing that my tq will be as much as his wouldn't that be nice?

he does need an exhaust if he wants to move forward, but staying with what he has the exhaust doesn't need to be any bigger. he has already removed all the restriction with the muffler and dp that comes with the RRM kit, so his exhaust is probably twice the flow over stock now.

is the clutch install still on schedule?

Quick Reply: Dyno Day: GearDownSon and DangerousDan