Notices

electric exhaust cut outs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric exhaust cut outs

hey guys i was wondering what you guys think about getting electric cut outs for our cars....
i ask this because i have been watching evos with it and it sounds amazing!!!!
i know i know evos have dohc and we only have sohcs
i was thinkning about putting one on my car and only having a 2.5" diameter cut out.
what do you guys think?

Last edited by ryndel; Mar 3, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

i have one ordered for my car, just the downside is that the flex pipe is the best place to put it and there isnt much room for your car if you bottom out. so just becareful if you do!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

would you still be able to pass PA inspection with them? and if its before the cat would it throw any codes?
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

im not from pa, but i assume you would be fine. its not like your running it all the time. and it would more then likely throw an o2 code but would shut off on its own when you turned it off. just make sure you dont go racing a few days before an inspection
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have one in my evo's downpipe, it points out dirrectly sideways and has absolutely zero clearance issues. (be sure you attach a turndown or your car will get nasty real fast). Anyway, check out the QTP downpipe to see how it is setup sideways. I absolutely love it and would get one again no question. You should know that there is a little maintenance required. (re-sealing the butterfly valve with silicone every 20k miles or sooner otherwise it will leak exhaust). I checked out the McCord plates and many many others in person, and I would get the QTP cutout and have it welded into your exhaust, you wont regret it. Also, my car does not throw a code because there is still exhaust flowing through the CAT so the rear o2 sensor is still getting a lower signal than the front, and assumes everything is okay. Im not sure on the RA's though, but I imagine it would be the same. I heard all of the sound clips, and in person an open downpipe with the cutout sounds different. Sounds alot like a diesel truck in that it has a mean growl with a throaty water popping sort of sound at idle, but at WOT it is a bit much, I mean seriously loud and the vibration is crazy (sometimes annoying), but that is the beauty in being able to close it. If you have a turbo the open pipe will yield some crazy turbo sounds in low gears from hearing the turbine spool around through the pipe. Reminds me of one of those party-novelty whistles. (actually it sounds like a huge supercharger).
Definately get one!!
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:06 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just don't see there being a benefit to putting a cutout on a NA car. You'll lose power and it'll sound like ****.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ I agree
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

as do I. the turbo is what makes a cutout sound so "cool" and unless you have done a ****ton more to your car this little noisemaker is only that: a noisemaker.