Notices

Unexplainable Gas Mileage Increase

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unexplainable Gas Mileage Increase

Since I purchased my RA new, I have always calculated mileage per tank before I leave the gas station. For the first three years, I don't recall ever topping 25.5 or 26 mpg. I virtually never drove all freeway miles on one tank, and frequently added in a few mountain sprints in 2nd gear primarily, so I didn't expect 30 mpg like I knew was possible. Keep in mind that I NEVER recall beating 26 mpg. Usually 22-23 or so, and 11 at the track .

Since the beginning, I had always used Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30. When 30,000 miles or so came around, I took her in for her first dealership maintenance under warranty. There were a few small concerns I had them check out, but they ended up just sticking to the basic maintenance schedule. I told the idiots that I had just changed oil to fully synthetic the week before and did not want them changing it. But how could I expect someone that doesn't speak English to respect that request, of course. So they put in 76 brand 10W-30 (pissed me off at the time), and sent me on my way. I noticed on the first tank following that service that my fuel guage was not where I expected it... seemed to be showing me better mileage than normal, but not consistently. And the gas light would come on earlier than before, very inconsitently.

Then, the good part came. My mileage suddenly jumped up to 29 mpg on an all freeway tank, and I'm still getting high 20's.. even 27.5 mpg with no freeway at all. Big jump. This is now a consistent thing.. ever tank since. And the fuel guage is now consistent. I can easily get into the 300's on one tank without worrying which I could never do before. The only thing different to my knowledge to my car is motor oil. I do live in a new location, but not far and it's all Chevron gas from Northern California. Driving style has been really chill (since I quit getting high, and therefore driving high), and I have been driving economically-minded for quite a while now. I can't think of anything other than motor oil that can have such a radical affect. Even a subtle change in oil like I had shouldn't be making such a large difference (like over 20%).

Anybody else notice jumps in mileage or have any ideas as to any other possible explanations? Also, what grade and brand of motor oil do you prefer for mileage, if that affects anything for you? Thanks in advance
Old May 12, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackhawkRA
Driving style has been really chill (since I quit getting high, and therefore driving high), and I have been driving economically-minded for quite a while now.
Happens to the best of us man, but no I also am in the same boat cause I get horrible gas mileage, maybe I need to change my oil again haha
Old May 12, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

the RA has a gas light?..damn, i've never been below 1/2 tank before I fill up. Don't pay attention to the mileage, I just drive. its not a motorcycle so I know i'm not getting 60/gal..who cares...i buy 3.90 premium anyway and am constantly putting 20 bucks in. I didn't buy the RA for the gas mileage, at the time gas was in the low 2's anyway...now if gas goes to 6.00/gal, I might buy another bike and ride it more.
Old May 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending where you live there are summer fuels and winter fuels. I normally get better gas mileage on the summer blend.
Old May 12, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

on 87 i get about 23 mpg, i switched to 89 and im not joking, im getting around 32 mpg.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
Depending where you live there are summer fuels and winter fuels. I normally get better gas mileage on the summer blend.
^+1. Here in MN, during the winter I think there's an additive gas stations mix in to keep the pumps from gumming up when it drops too cold. Mileage on this gas relatively bites, maybe 22-23/gal driving conservatively.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving style has been really chill (since I quit getting high, and therefore driving high), and I have been driving economically-minded for quite a while now.
You quitter..... lol
Old May 12, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

putting higher octane fuel should not increase fuel millage if the car was not made for this. For the compression ratio the car has it should be optimal at 87.

Is there a lot of people that experience better gas mileage for higher octane gas?

also if you have higher octane gas and the engine is not able to burn it all there is gas left in the chambers and after a while it will go down around the pistons and eat the rings and gaskets around your pistons making you car burn oil after a while.
Old May 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Since I purchased my RA new, I have always calculated mileage per tank before I leave the gas station. For the first three years, I don't recall ever topping 25.5 or 26 mpg. I virtually never drove all freeway miles on one tank, and frequently added in a few mountain sprints in 2nd gear primarily, so I didn't expect 30 mpg like I knew was possible. Keep in mind that I NEVER recall beating 26 mpg. Usually 22-23 or so, and 11 at the track .

Since the beginning, I had always used Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30. When 30,000 miles or so came around, I took her in for her first dealership maintenance under warranty. There were a few small concerns I had them check out, but they ended up just sticking to the basic maintenance schedule. I told the idiots that I had just changed oil to fully synthetic the week before and did not want them changing it. But how could I expect someone that doesn't speak English to respect that request, of course. So they put in 76 brand 10W-30 (pissed me off at the time), and sent me on my way. I noticed on the first tank following that service that my fuel guage was not where I expected it... seemed to be showing me better mileage than normal, but not consistently. And the gas light would come on earlier than before, very inconsitently.

Then, the good part came. My mileage suddenly jumped up to 29 mpg on an all freeway tank, and I'm still getting high 20's.. even 27.5 mpg with no freeway at all. Big jump. This is now a consistent thing.. ever tank since. And the fuel guage is now consistent. I can easily get into the 300's on one tank without worrying which I could never do before. The only thing different to my knowledge to my car is motor oil. I do live in a new location, but not far and it's all Chevron gas from Northern California. Driving style has been really chill (since I quit getting high, and therefore driving high), and I have been driving economically-minded for quite a while now. I can't think of anything other than motor oil that can have such a radical affect. Even a subtle change in oil like I had shouldn't be making such a large difference (like over 20%).

Anybody else notice jumps in mileage or have any ideas as to any other possible explanations? Also, what grade and brand of motor oil do you prefer for mileage, if that affects anything for you? Thanks in advance
Such a minute change in oil weight (5w30 to 10w30) won't affect you're mileage one bit. Something else happened, or you just never paid as close attention to your mileage as you thought.

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
The change from winter to summer fuels (at the refinery level) starts happening back in February, so it's not that.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

well there is a big difference with waiting till the last minut to fuill up your gas tank and doing it when the light is on b/c i push my car to the last drop lol and only put like 15$ in at a time but when its full and i run it out the guage pin is below the last mark on the guage , were talking an extra 10 20 miles soooo that would make a difference in ur calculations so take that it mind.
Old May 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the input y'all!

Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
You quitter..... lol
Haha, kinda forced since I got arrested. But, hey life is better now actually. The only thing I miss is taking bongrips at the top of the mountain, and sprinting as fast as possible down the mountain.

Originally Posted by otter
Such a minute change in oil weight (5w30 to 10w30) won't affect you're mileage one bit. Something else happened, or you just never paid as close attention to your mileage as you thought.
Well, I trust the all-knowing Otter, so it must be something that the dealership did that I'm not aware of. And something they didn't write down in their report, at that.

I know its not an error in my calculations because I don't rely on the gas light at all and I fill up at inconsistent points in the fuel guage and yield the same mileage. I always let it fill until it clicks and nothing more, and calculate the exact mileage since last refill divided by exact number of gallons since last refill. And I always have used the same method. The change came instantly (from 23 or so to 29) and in California we don't have winter or summer mixes.

Freaking weird! But awesome at the same time. Part of me is still scared to go back to fully sythetic, for superstition if nothing else...
Old May 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

just cause our cars run on 87 octane doesnt mean its the best for it. ive taken my spark plugs out and they have a white powder on it which means it running a little lean, so in reality our cars probably run most effectively on 89.

as far as piggybacks and blah blah blah, those all have to do with timing changes and such.

i may not be the all famous otter. but im not a der da der.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Ive been running it on 92 ever since I left the dragstrip the other week, and im not going back to 87. My car runs so much and has alot more power, at first I was like what ever a whole 5 change in the octane wasnt gonna do anything, but I was suprised.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

yeah since i purchased my car 8 months ago i always put 92 in a tank... i filled my car with 87 once or twice and that thing was slooooooow lol
Old May 16, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

The thing that keeps me from ever even trying to move up to 89 or higher in octane is the fact that my engine is stock and our engines are engineered to run on 87, meaning that running higher octane more will leave unburnt fuel all over that gets worse with time. It may not be noticeable and you may be feeling more power, but I'll do whatever I can to keep my internals as clean as possible. Maybe its not a big deal, maybe I'm paranoid. But I'm gonna stick to what it's made for. Anybody else notice big mileage spikes with octane increase?

Quick Reply: Unexplainable Gas Mileage Increase