Notices

grinding noise when on throttle in turn when cold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this off wikipedia just for those interested:

Constant velocity joints are usually reliable and largely trouble-free. The two main failures are wear and partial seizure.

Wear in the outer joint usually shows up as vibration at certain speeds, a bit like the vibration caused by an unbalanced wheel. To determine if the joint is worn, a driver should find a big empty parking lot and drive the car slowly in tight circles, left and right. Worn joints will make a rhythmic clicking or cracking noise. Wear in the inner joints shows up as a "clunk" or "pop" when applying power or, if severe, when lifting off the throttle.

Partial seizure causes a strange "pattering" sensation through the suspension. It is caused by the joint overheating, which in turn is usually caused by the outer joint gaiter/boot having split, allowing the joint to throw out its grease.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

good news and bad news
the good news is that it's too warm to produce the sound
the bad news is that it's too warm to produce the sound
it's -10 c at the moment (14 f)
and if thats the way to diagnose bad CV joints, then it's not the cv joint since tight circles in a parking lot make no such noise.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

excellent.
so i do wonder what causes the noise then. u think jacking up the front will reproduce the sound in cold weather?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinking of jacking up the front and then running the front wheels off the ground in first and turning the wheel, but my jack is leaking oil and i didn't feel like crawling under the car in the cold. haha... but i think the wheel has to be loaded for the sound to occur since it only happens when there is load on the wheel via throttle... otherwise i'm stumped... I'll try to get a video when it's colder, but next week is supposed to be pretty warm
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

yeh. well i dont think its anything bad anyway. there's gotta be more than just us two on this forum that are experiencing this.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

when you go over larger bumps, do you hear a click and feel the click through the dead pedal? because I have that too, but i think it's related to the coilovers or upper strut bearing...

and i did the slow turn in the parking lot thing and i noticed that every second or so a light scraping sound would happen. it happens probably ever 3-5 wheel rotations so it's either something within the cv joint.. or scraping the snow buildup definitely not the tire rubbing on a car part though.

Last edited by Canada_Comp; Jan 10, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

sorry man, no clicks here.

why not get it looked at by mitsu? wont cost ya anything and they can probably pin point the problem.

Last edited by Thomar; Jan 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

well, i changed the oil today so while i had the car jacked up i decided to test it with the wheels in the air. put it in first and just let the wheels spin at idle. no noise, turned the steering wheel left and right with no noise. then i grabbed the tire while it was spinning to see if it was the diff. no noise either side. then again, it is warm out.

I've never brought the car to the dealership before as I bought it off my brother-in-law so i don't really know how it works... do you just drive it in through the service lane and then they do a check over? kinda like a free estimate? definitely not going to southside though.. hate that place... i liked west side when i went over there for some parts though.

and since the service-person said it was your cv joints, shouldn't they replace it for free then since your car still has the warranty? I think it should be covered in the bumper-to-bumper warranty since it's a non-wearing item like clutches or brakes.

and i'm pretty sure the clicks are due to the coilovers, or possibly a loose steering rack.. i'll check it out.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

i hate south side mitsu too lol.

just call west or north side, and tell em you need your car looked at or inspected for a problem that it's having and you need an estimate to see how much it would cost to fix. they'll probably make an appointment for ya. any time i ever had any of my cars checked out i've never gotten charged. and if i would of i'd refuse to pay.
they'll probably jack it up on the lift and take it for a drive. tell em u want to go with when they take it for the drive, if you want. ****, most of the time i walk into the shop and talk to the mechanic lol. curiosity killed the kitten.

well, he didnt say that the cv joints were bad, just that the grease is making the noise, which i doubt. i dont even think he knows what noise i was talking about and that's fine, it only does it in the really cold temps.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
well, i changed the oil today so while i had the car jacked up i decided to test it with the wheels in the air. put it in first and just let the wheels spin at idle. no noise, turned the steering wheel left and right with no noise. then i grabbed the tire while it was spinning to see if it was the diff. no noise either side. then again, it is warm out.

I've never brought the car to the dealership before as I bought it off my brother-in-law so i don't really know how it works... do you just drive it in through the service lane and then they do a check over? kinda like a free estimate? definitely not going to southside though.. hate that place... i liked west side when i went over there for some parts though.

and since the service-person said it was your cv joints, shouldn't they replace it for free then since your car still has the warranty? I think it should be covered in the bumper-to-bumper warranty since it's a non-wearing item like clutches or brakes.

and i'm pretty sure the clicks are due to the coilovers, or possibly a loose steering rack.. i'll check it out.
Dealerships don't do anything for free, even inspections, and axles will likely be called a wear item.

When I tore a boot and had to replace an axle, I found remanufactured ones here - http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/
Hell of a lot cheaper than buying new ones.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

it's always been free for me. maybe its different in the US.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

well, north side mitsubishi just replaced the drivers side front strut and strut bearing under warranty. so that's fixed now i guess.

havent had the other noise since its warmed up. yay.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

I was thinking that it might be the strut bearing.... because it only happens when the wheel slips on throttle so i guess the way the wheel hops and vibrates causes the noise, and when it is cold, the bearing has a looser fit in the bushing so it'll vibrate and click... anyways, let me know if the noise comes back in a few weeks when it gets a bit colder.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Oddly enough, my car just did this during the recent cold down here. Seems to have to be pretty cold for it to happen. It only does it in the morning. My car engine was warmed up, but pulling out of my lot the steering was a bit stiff and shifting gears felt a bit funny. It made the noise on the first couple turns, but everything cleared up after a minute of driving. Later in the day it warmed up to 5 f (-15 c) and I did not have any problems on the way home. This morning it was - 10 f (-23.3 c) and it was a repeat of yesterday which was -7 f (-13.9 c) when I left for work.

Might have something to do with the power steering.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

yea its definitely our cars not liking the cold. heh.

Quick Reply: grinding noise when on throttle in turn when cold