Notices

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice

ok, so im sure this has been asked alot, but i need some professional advice haah...i plan on to autox/ time attack races here in so cal, and i wasnt exactly too sure on how my car should be set up...my current mods are : Injen CAI, RRM udp, and 2.5" custom HKS catback... plan on getting the RRM P&P intake mani and the header/ downpipe combo soon...i also need to get some suspension stuff too...i plan on getting slotted rotors (front and back, since the backs are almost metal to metal), tie bar, sway bar, coilovers (since my shocks are about to go)...so my ?'s are: what kind of gains would i be expecting with the Headers/ DP and PPIM, along with my current mods...and which of the suspention/ handling parts should i go with first...i know it seems like a noobish question, but it will be my first time on a track and i dont wanna mess up my DD haha
any advise would be much appreciated
thanks
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm assuming the autocrossing will be SCCA? If so, mod the car as little as possible, otherwise you end up being tossed into some high class where you aren't competitive. Ideally, leave the car stock and invest in some slicks, with that setup you'd do really really well in H-stock.

With what you have listed, you'd probably end up in FSP, which will be hard to be competitive in unless you get yourself a really nice suspension and tire setup.

Finally, don't bother with slotted rotors. For track days you'll be running aggressive pads and wearing down rotors. Just get cheap rotors and replace them yearly.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

if you come out lots.. you'll notice that there are people who show up in cars with $10000's of work... only to get beat by a $5000 stock honda civic. and they never come back. Mods really don't do much.. it's the driver who make the most time difference, mods like that will only make a 1-2 second difference if you are the perfect and consistent driver.

having said that. you will probably go in to an ST category unless you are running R-compounds (highly doubt you are though)

As otter said, don't bother with slotted. as a matter a fact.. don't bother with the port and polish either, put the money in to schooling (race school) and it won't matter what you drive because the driver will no longer be the limiting factor.

If you have to change something first, i would say tires, then brakes, then suspension.

other tips: every tire is different, but since you are starting try haveing 36psi on all four corners. also chat with some people at the club who are veterains, and ask for a ride-along and to have them ride along with you and give you tips. everyone is pretty friendly so don't be shy.

finally, have fun!

Last edited by Canada_Comp; Mar 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:31 PM

First, get good brakes cause in the corner, if you loose brake...bye bye lancer!!!

Second, suspension and tires, the coilover is the best you can get but get a sway bar too with perches. And good track tires will give you a lot of second in the ending time.

Third, shiftet, shifter bushing, shifter cable to do better shift.

After some races, see what you have to get to be in the front of the other guy.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver, Tire (I race Bridgestones...and they are goooood), Suspension (rear bar, coilovers). Seriously. Forget about the power for now. Sort those 3 things first.
Again:
1) Driver
2) Tire
3) Suspension

If you want to upgrade brakes, just get blanks with aggressive pads (Hawk HPS or EBC Greens) and good fluid (ATE or Motul)

Yes, I have drank the Honda Kool-Aid.

Last edited by Eclipse2Lancer; Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

I would say don't bother with shifter bushing... you'll only be shifting from first to second, and will be staying in second pretty much the whole time.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advise guys...i already have brand new tired...picked up some nitto neogens...they kind of seem thinner than my last set of yokohamas, they seem to be cause alittle bit of understeer, but other than that, they hook up nicely...oh and as for the shifter bushings and cable, i wont need them seeing as how im stuck with a freakin automatic RA...haha but i make due with what i got, pretty responsive and snappy for an auto....OH yeah, Otter, i dont think this is SCCA...its pay 20 buck, bring a helmet, and hit the track for you time...i guess they reward the driver with the best time...but anyways, thanks for the tips all, much appreaciated...if theres anything else anyone want to add then feel free to...
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
Account Disabled

hey let me know how you do with ur AT RA.. I have one too and was planning to hit the track this summer, but I am totally new to all this. so for the track you don't need any experience or lessons? just a helmet? lol
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heartagram88
thanks for the advise guys...i already have brand new tired...picked up some nitto neogens...they kind of seem thinner than my last set of yokohamas, they seem to be cause alittle bit of understeer, but other than that, they hook up nicely...oh and as for the shifter bushings and cable, i wont need them seeing as how im stuck with a freakin automatic RA...haha but i make due with what i got, pretty responsive and snappy for an auto....OH yeah, Otter, i dont think this is SCCA...its pay 20 buck, bring a helmet, and hit the track for you time...i guess they reward the driver with the best time...but anyways, thanks for the tips all, much appreaciated...if theres anything else anyone want to add then feel free to...
sounds like scca to me, one car out on the track at a time and the course is marked out with pylons? that's autocross, and it usually only costs $20 anyways.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the tip and advice guys...i planned on investing in bars and a set of coils first, but i just want to see how some of you have your RAs set up and if i was making the right choice...so i guess ill just hold off on the go fast bits and just worry about parts that will help prevent me from loosing it and crashing...im gonna be hitting the track this tuesday so ill keep you guy updated on how i do...