Notices

RRM cold air intake seem expensive?

Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM cold air intake seem expensive?

OK, personally I am all about Road Race. Awesome pretty much everywhere, but I am looking at these picture of that intake for $219 and I have questions. The AEM usually costs about that same price so I use that as a basis. But if I am looking correctly, is the tube and MAS just connected to the stock rubber hose???? Please tell me for $219 there is more to this than a tube added to the stock hose with a $20 filter on it. I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing this from the same perspective I am.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

well in another post addressing this specific topic, RRM said they had to purchase a whole new part for the CAI because the airbox was directly connected to the MAS. thats why it costs more. AEM's kit would probably costs more for that reason as well.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the explaination. I wish we had a factory in Taiwan or something but we do not. We make these from scratch in our shop and yes we have to buy new airbox for everyone of these kits from the dealer. Guess what that thing costs $. Even so, we sell it for what an AEM would cost. Therefore no ones eyes are getting gouged out!!!

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Attached Thumbnails RRM cold air intake seem expensive?-rrmcai.jpg  
Old Jan 16, 2004, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

that picture right here is awesome! Now that explanation makes a little more sense and that picture shows more intake than I thought was there also. I didnt want to sound picky but the small amount of pics I did see didnt show that much. It looks real good now and thanks for everything! I am sure we all appreciate the fast support as well.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Rock, is Road Race researching a turbo kit yet?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Rock, I emailed rrm the other day asking about sucking water through the intake. The person who emailed back, rob(not sure who you are), said that he could not garauntee that I would not suck up water. Can you estimate how low the intake ends up to the ground when it is installed. Seizing my engine is the last thing that I want to happen. I generally don't drive through really deep puddles, but when I am going through town and there is a few inch puddle I don't even think about it. So are puddles like that going to hit the intake?

Thanks
Stephen
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Puddles like that should not be a problem. THe filter ends up 8 to 10 inches off the ground for sure so it cannot be a problem more than any other. We are working on a turbo as well. Soon I will start a thread about our project Ralliart. Give you guys a little in progress look at what we are doing to ours and what we think the car needs.

ROAD/RACE

Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

awesome man, thanks! cant wait to see the pictures of the turbo kti too.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 01:36 PM

Can we put a plate to block water from reaching the filter??
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Plate is not an option. It is just like AEM style so if you are worried about water get the bypass valve form AEM and fit it in there. Diameter of tubing is 2.5 inch. Anyway most guys running AEM don't worry about water. I have nver sold one with a bypass valve yet. Guess most of those guys are OK.

ROAD/RACE

Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

you can add a plate sleeve on the end of your CAI, to keep the water from jumping up to the filter. I have done that to every CAI modded car i worked on, and it works. But again if you dip your front end in the puddle, then your outta luck.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

i have some questions

I had my lancer ralliart for almost 2 months now and i think its about time to start adding mods, what should i start with? I am thinking about that cai from rrm, but i heard you need something called a bypass valve or somethign with it? can somebody tell me what that is and what all i should start adding to my car. thanks
Old Jan 22, 2004, 01:44 PM

The first part i got for my car was the rrm cai. The performance gains were sweet. Motor really pulls when you tear into it. I'm not worried when the rain comes, the filter fits right on the MAF to make it a short ram.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 08:16 AM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a way to get a shorter tube so it's maybe 12-13 inches above the ground for those of us who are water shy?
Old Feb 4, 2004, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Hard to do because you have to clear trans. Like Matrix said you can always run it in short configuration in the rainy season.

ROAD/RACE

Search this Thread