Notices

odd handling issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd handling issue

I was driving down a nice flat straight smooth hiway tonite and i noticed that if i lined up pefectly with the highway while "nuetral" (in gear but not accelerating or decellerating) and then coasted while holding the steering wheel in exactly the same place, it pulled slightly right, but under acceleration it pulled slighly left, wheel still held in exact center. Car has brand new Hankook winter/ice tires, and otherwise seems to be well aligned, although last alignment was 50,000 miles ago when dealer did rear a-arms under warranty. Does it sound like a passenger side tie rod end? other thought i had maybe was bushings on the pass side up front. I was thinking if it was drivers side it would pull the opposite direction.

I dunno, maybe im getting overly worried about nothing. Just flipped 100k miles yesterday and now i drive trying to notice every squeek creak and shimmy.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:49 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your alignment is off if hasn't been done in 50,000 miles you should get an alignment when you get new tires. You should actually get an alignment with just about any suspension change.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Your alignment is off if hasn't been done in 50,000 miles you should get an alignment when you get new tires. You should actually get an alignment with just about any suspension change.
This.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Torque steer. All FWD cars have it to some degree. Nothing to worry about, as long as it's not trying to pull you into the ditch or oncoming traffic while "neutral".
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Torque steer. All FWD cars have it to some degree. Nothing to worry about, as long as it's not trying to pull you into the ditch or oncoming traffic while "neutral".
I was thinking that too...sometimes i feel my car is pulling, but it's actually that the road is sloped, like some highways for example are sloped slightly so water doesn't pool on the road, cause hydro-planing at 70mph is not cool...

oh and what's torque steer again? i forget
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

oh and what's torque steer again? i forget
when you steer left or right, the steering wheel will want to tend to stay when you accelerate. in rear wheel drive the steering wheel will turn back to neutral when you let it go while accelerating. if you are not aware of this it may hit you by surprise when you accelerate a bit hard around a corner and want to steer straight by letting the steering wheel go but the car keeps turning the corner.

also, the front wheel drive cars will pull left and right as you accelerate hard even though the steering wheel is held straight.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
when you steer left or right, the steering wheel will want to tend to stay when you accelerate. in rear wheel drive the steering wheel will turn back to neutral when you let it go while accelerating. if you are not aware of this it may hit you by surprise when you accelerate a bit hard around a corner and want to steer straight by letting the steering wheel go but the car keeps turning the corner.

also, the front wheel drive cars will pull left and right as you accelerate hard even though the steering wheel is held straight.
I think he was being sarcastic since he has an LSD like me... :P LSD reduces torque steer.. or makes things look funny too...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

oh... lol
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
I think he was being sarcastic since he has an LSD like me... :P LSD reduces torque steer.. or makes things look funny too...
Lol, good pick-up...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thats one thing id have to say i wish mits had put in our cars. That and a 6 speed, but given the choice between the 2 definately the LSD.... Driving in the snow sucks without it. Ive even played with the idea of trading my ralli for a Spec R Sentra just to have both of those things. But the Nissan just doesnt appeal to me as much. I like having a car thats so uncommon, that I see more Ferraris. Considering that I live in Wi and not Hollywood, that kinda says alot.

Off topic but does anyone know what the production numbers were for the Ralliarts? How many were made? I remember back in the mid "00's" how mits dealer where i was livinf then (around western Tennessee) how they would have 3 evos on a lot but only 1 ralliart.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

A good friend of mine has a 2002 sentra SER spec V, and it's a great car, and honestly i see more 04-06 Ralliarts around than spec V's, but i prefer the lancer body style...

not sure about production numbers...