Notices

Cluster Problem

Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster Problem

Temp gauge doesn't work at all and the gas gauge isn't accurate. At half a tank my gas light comes on which means my cars empty, any fix for this or do I need to buy a new cluster?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the problem may not be with the cluster, i would be more concerned if the light didn't come on at all...and i already answered your temp gauge question in your other thread...double posting is really frowned upon...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...tat-whoas.html
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
the problem may not be with the cluster, i would be more concerned if the light didn't come on at all...and i already answered your temp gauge question in your other thread...double posting is really frowned upon...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...tat-whoas.html
that didn't fix my problem so I just put in an aftermarket temp gauge..... and i replaced the thermostat still didn't help which is why i did the aftermarket one and asked if something could be wrong with the cluster since my gas gauge isn't functioning properly either
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

i don't understand...in your other thread, i told you that the thermostat has nothing to do with the temperature gauge, that's why changing it didn't do anything...what sensor/sending unit are you using for the aftermarket gauge?

you should be checking your sensors before blaming the cluster...check your fuel level/temperature sensor, and coolant temperature sensor...much easier than tearing the cluster out...no sense throwing money at it until you know for sure what the problem is...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:43 AM

i don't understand...in your other thread, i told you that the thermostat has nothing to do with the temperature gauge, that's why changing it didn't do anything...what sensor/sending unit are you using for the aftermarket gauge?

you should be checking your sensors before blaming the cluster...check your fuel level/temperature sensor, and coolant temperature sensor...much easier than tearing the cluster out...no sense throwing money at it until you know for sure what the problem is...
I took it to a professional. The thermostat i replaced was only $10 didn't bother me at all. They tried to fix the thermo gauge and couldn't figure it out either so they put in an aftermarket one which is why I'm asking if it could be the cluster....... I checked all those sensors and they are all good.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
it COULD be the gauge however do you have another one to test out that theory? it would suck that you would buy a gauge off someone only to find out that the problem still exists
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
it COULD be the gauge however do you have another one to test out that theory? it would suck that you would buy a gauge off someone only to find out that the problem still exists
unfortunately no
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

it could very well be the cluster, i was just suggesting some more logical troubleshooting before buying a replacement cluster...was your mechanic able to read engine coolant temperature with an OBD2 scanner? though you can't read fuel level on any scanner i've used, that would be a pretty good indication. Now to test the fuel level sensor you need to actually meter the connector...it's in the fuel tank under the rear seats.

It is worthy to note however, that the fuel level indication, low fuel light, AND engine coolant temperature share the same connector on the back of the cluster...so i would check if the coolant temperature sensor is working at the very least, before removing and checking the connection on the back of the cluster...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:42 PM

it could very well be the cluster, i was just suggesting some more logical troubleshooting before buying a replacement cluster...was your mechanic able to read engine coolant temperature with an OBD2 scanner? though you can't read fuel level on any scanner i've used, that would be a pretty good indication. Now to test the fuel level sensor you need to actually meter the connector...it's in the fuel tank under the rear seats.

It is worthy to note however, that the fuel level indication, low fuel light, AND engine coolant temperature share the same connector on the back of the cluster...so i would check if the coolant temperature sensor is working at the very least, before removing and checking the connection on the back of the cluster...
thanks for the hints
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

you know the removal procedure?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:33 PM

you know the removal procedure?
to remove the cluster?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, it's pretty easy, there's like 4 or 6 screws or something...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
there's a how-to somewhere here on the forum
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:24 AM

yeah, it's pretty easy, there's like 4 or 6 screws or something...
Originally Posted by Raikiri
there's a how-to somewhere here on the forum
Yes I do, thanks for the heads up
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
was your mechanic able to read engine coolant temperature with an OBD2 scanner?
I was going to suggest this, I know my $60 Autozone scanner can read coolant temp, so can EvoScan on my laptop. Either one would tell you if it's the gauge or the sending unit (or thermostat, I guess).

Search this Thread