Notices

Plasti-dip the rust?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti-dip the rust?

Since I'm not a paint person, and not sure what to do with the rust beginning to form on the car. I figured plasti-dip could be a viable solution, until I eventually get around to getting the car repainted. I don't have too much, only on the rear wheel well and on my driver door (the corner is bent in and the paint flaked). I have the spots on my hood from rock chips also but not too bad, just small spots.

Think just spraying a little plast-dip would help it from rusting out further? And would it look goofy next to the actual car paint? I never worked with the plasti-dip yet.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take care of the rust spots first.. since you are going to paint it anyway, just spot prime where the rust is forming, if you leave the rust there and just cover it with plastic dip the rust might eat away where its forming and might be more expansive to repair later. But then again I don't know much about plastic dip
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Well I believe plasti-dip is a form of rubber? Not sure exactly what it's made of, but I figured since it would cover the rust it would stop a good bit of the Oxidation.

Also my plan on repainting is a couple years in the future, not right now haha.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Gotcha.... covering the rust might not mean stopping it from spreading . Grab some anti rust primer better yet some automotive primer and just apply it on the rust for safe measure. I'm sure someone with more experiance with plastic dip will chime in
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twabtoxer
Gotcha.... covering the rust might not mean stopping it from spreading . Grab some anti rust primer better yet some automotive primer and just apply it on the rust for safe measure. I'm sure someone with more experiance with plastic dip will chime in
Good deal, I'll that out also
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck bro... post some pics and results I want to use plastic dip on mine as soon as I get a chance
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Darewood
Good deal, I'll that out also
i've taken care of a bunch of rust spots on mine. i just sanded it down carefully and applied some "rust-check" spray on them. you could also get those cheap "rust-check rust converters" and just spray it on the rust. if you have rust on your wheel well, don't be fooled by it. don't just treat the outer part of the car. look inside your wheel well--on the other side of the rust spot and there should be rust there too. make sure you get all that rust out and then just spray it with "rust-check" or "plasti-dip" or any kind of spray protection to prevent the rust from forming again. my rust spots haven't come back for months now and i haven't even painted them
let me know if you need help with anything else
have fun bro!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was thinking about this recently...
the only place my car has any rust is the front lip of the hood*knock on wood*
i keep meaning to use something to chip the bubbling paint off and use some kind of rust preventing paint or sumn...
a few weeks ago one of the guys at work got this stuff from rustoleum to spray on his car it's some kind of "rust stopper" or sumn...it says it has some kind of chemical that will stop rust and prevent new rust from forming...
i borrowed it last weekend but i never got aroud to spraying it...
it's clear too so hopefully it doesn't look all dumb w/ primered spots on the hood...
i was thinking of taking care of the spots by sanding and priming and painting and plastidipping parts of the hood but i havent gotten around to it, and probably won't for a while...

it makes me wonder if this stuff really works or not...i know theres things you can do but i've always been told and read that if there's bubbling, there's no saving it...(masking maybe...but it'll come back)

then again he doesn't care he's driving a 15 yr old minivan till it dies..all dinged and crumpled up...i DO care what my car looks like...but we both wanna stop it from spreading more

maybe i'll just have to do it someday...and see how it turns out