Notices

no fiyah, no spahk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no fiyah, no spahk

basically my car is not getting spark. did a scan and It told me camshaft sensor was bad. so I replaced it didn't fix anything. i figured i'd test the crank sensor too but im not sure how. at any rate im not getting spark and i dunno what else to look at either. any help is appreciated
Old Dec 9, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
no spark in any of the plugs? did you check the timing belt to make sure its moving?

the crank angle sensor is in the lower timing cover. don't know off the top of my head the test for it, do you have the FSM, if no one replies by then, i'll look into it when i get home.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well the camshaft is moving so i assume the timing belt is fine at least toothe point that its intact. Im hoping my timing is intact because I've been down that road and will hate my life if its not. That being said last time i still had spark at the packs. I have also read that the ecu won't allow spark if that timing was off so i dunno what is different if that's the case. As for the crank sensor id rather not have to dig in to the process of being able to actually see the sensor to test if i can test for the terminal outside the timing cover. I know someone who said the can help but gave me know idea of what they would do, but im getting with them to look at it today. Ill update as events unfold. I have pdf of a service manual but really has been no help in this matter. In fact its been insufficient for almost everything i have had to use it for in some areas. Its Useful but not very indepth on detail

Last edited by turboart; Dec 10, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
did you scan for DTC's?

try disconnecting the sensor, and inpecting the connector...it's on the timing cover.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 10, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

im just gonna go ahead and check the timing marks and see if everything lines up. I have time to today so ill let you guys know what I find out
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

well my timing was of as I kind of expected but im unable to determine why it jumped. my only clue was that my auto tensioner seem to have leaked at the bottom seal, so I removed it and wiped the greasy/ oily substance from it and am now waiting to see if anymore appears. that being said it could have been old antifreeze from my waterpump which I discovered has done a fair bit of leaking. also I couldn't find and wear, tear, frays, or blemishes of any kind on the belt. aside from antifreeze stains, all teeth are intact and I see no evidence of it even moving. im goin to do a compression test in to see if there is any internal damage, but I don't have high hopes in avoiding another rebuild.
right now I just really wanna figure out wth happened. any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 02:50 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

There is a technical bulletin for this problem:

"Mitsu's TSB 07-011-001 concerning ODBII code 340 & 335 caused by "camshaft sensor support bracket" that needs to be replaced because of a design flaw that accumulates sludge and metallic particles over time that confuses the sensor. This is why after waiting several minutes the car is able to start as the oil drips away from the sensor bracket port where the sensor is housed."

It also happened to my '03 Lancer after 5 years of use, the car would stop suddenly while I was driving. It would throw a cam shaft sensor OBD code. The problem is with a poorly designed crank shaft sensor casing which would accumulate sludge and block the cam shaft sensor which would cut off the engine. The dealership just replaced the casing with a newly designed one and everything worked fine afterwards.

If your car starts after 30 minutes once the sludge clears the sensor this is mostly the cause !

Last edited by EdT; Dec 29, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think that's my problem. aside from the timing being out for no reason I can find, I just had the head rebuilt and rebuilt the block around 1500 miles ago. both times my car has done this, I turned it off went to do what I was gonna do and came back to a dysfunctional car. im gonna replace the auto tensioner and the timing belt and do a comp check then I can see if its in critical condish. I have been waiting on the auto tensioner for over a week now but in the mean time if anyone has other ideas im down for some brainstorming.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

So i think my timing belt may have stretched... I was gonna reuse my old belt and tensioner to do a compression test and realized, aside from the auto tensioner felt weak in the benchvise, the belt went on seemingly way too easy. When i originally put it on the when i replaced the old one it was two man job fenagle keeping everything lined up while someone else pulled it into place. Any input?