Notices

Problem with battery/idling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Problem with battery/idling

Hello everyone!
I own a 2004 lancer ralliart and this is the place I go to for all my lancer problems. You guys are awesome with all of the valuable info you provide!
A little background before I start, my car has. 162k miles on it. And I just recently changed the oils, fluids and all that stuff. I also replaced and got a new battery.
Now my problem: after having the new battery, I notice that the rpms fluctuate between 400 to 800. I did I little search before this and found out that the car is supposed to idle between 500 to 800. I disregarded that and went on to drive. As I was backing out of my drive way I put the car on neutral to roll down the curb side and my car turns off. The rpm goes to 0 goes up to 300 and just dies. When this happens the battery light comes on along with the oil and brake lights. This also happens when I put the car on neutral as I'm approaching a stop sign or a red light. Rpm goes way down and the car turns off. Once the car gets going though the problem fades. Can anyone help me out. Thank you in advanced!! And sorry for the essay aha
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
manual or auto?

when you say "once it gets going the problem fades", do you mean when the engine is warm, it no longer dies while idling?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

It is manual. And yes once I drive it for 5-10 minutes non stop the car doesn't turn off anymore. And also, it's doesn't initially turn off right away. It idles normally when I start the car(having it in neutral). It only seems to happen when/ after I put it in gear and go to stop.
I just find it strange because it didn't do this before. Any idea as to what it might be?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long since you've had the new battery? I wonder if this is just something until the ecu relearns its values.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thomar, I literally got the battery yesterday. If it does have with the ecu relearning it's values, how long would that take.

Last edited by Blue_Lion; Mar 2, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

10 minutes idling should do it...is it sometimes difficult to shift into 1st or reverse from a dead stop? your clutch could be dragging a little bit, and also it could be the purge solenoid if idle fluctuates a lot.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Could it be a dirty MAF?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

From a dead stop it isn't. I can easily press the clutch and go through gears. It just happens while in motion coming to a stop. Or While I'm backing up before I get a chance to switch to first the cars already off.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Thomar, not sure if this relates but when I went in for maintenance, I had the check engine light on. The guy used the tool to check what code was being thrown out and it was the p0401. Mechanic said that the EGR might have been clogged and as a result the MAF was causing light to come on. how can I clean the MAF/ EGR.? It should be somewhere on these forums right. I'll probably do a little search!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Remove MAF and spray it down with MAF or carburetor cleaner. Comes in a spray can.
EGR I'm not sure. Cranswick prolly does.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't spray the MAF with anything but MAF cleaner.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Don't spray the MAF with anything but MAF cleaner.
^^^^^ AGREED don't spray the MAF with anything, that is just going to **** your MAF up and then your going to be looking at even more drive ability problems. If you have access to a scan tool then scan your ECU for codes and go from there. disconnecting your battery for about 10 min and reconnecting it is even worth a try. but let me ask you this....... what was your reason in the first place for replacing the battery??? was there an issue? was it dead? was it going dead? was the battery light coming on?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I cleaned my EGR valve with brake cleaner since there's not any sensor on it...the valve itself could be faulty as well....I would check EGR and also the purge solenoid.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Evo2h8, reason I replaced the old battery was because it was going dead. The battery light was not coming on though.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Cranswick, I think I am going to have to replace the EGR because this is the second time that code (p0401) has caused the cel to come on. As for the purge solenoid, I did a search on these forums and found a thread relating to my idling problem as well. Hopefully this solves it. Would a dirty MAF and faulty EGR/purge solenoid rule out the battery as the problem?

Quick Reply: Problem with battery/idling