Notices

Problem with battery/idling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Lion
Cranswick, I think I am going to have to replace the EGR because this is the second time that code (p0401) has caused the cel to come on. As for the purge solenoid, I did a search on these forums and found a thread relating to my idling problem as well. Hopefully this solves it. Would a dirty MAF and faulty EGR/purge solenoid rule out the battery as the problem?
I would check your alternator output as well.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man,

I had this issue for quite some time, especially after refilling to a full tank of gas. I did all the maintenance routines and cleaning that I could DIY and today, I am happy to say that this code has never EVER come up for me again. This is what I did (quoted from my previous post from June 3, 2013):

Originally Posted by rzrxn
what's up man!
well, to get started, i had this code pop up for me a while back.
you know how i got rid of it?
i cleaned my throttle body like crazy!
i mean take that thing out and CLEAN THE CRAP OUT OF IT with sensor cleaner or throttle body cleaner.
i also cleaned my MAF.
and reset my ECU (left the battery unplugged overnight & did a thorough idle relearn process in the afternoon the next day)
it kept coming back for some reason but after a while, it stopped coming back and then i got the p0441 code (the purge valve solenoid syndrome)...
i fixed the p0441 by not overfilling my fuel tank & by cleaning (with a paper towel) the mouth of my tank after i refuel.
up to this day, my dash has been clear of engine codes and i'm hoping it stays that way.
the p0401 isn't a major issue.
i'm pretty sure our GREAT & BEASTLY RAs will just ride it out eventually.
just keep clearing it and drive her nice and smooth.
OH! and use some LUCAS injector cleaner.
it actually helps clean out the crappy fuel that goes through your engine and that helps your EGR.
let us know how it works out bro!
nice to hear from you again
Quote above is from this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...ode-p0401.html

I did a quick search and compiled this for you. Check out these threads for reference:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nt-solved.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...0401-code.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...low-error.html

Hope this helps resolve your issue! Take care my friend!

Last edited by rzrxn; Mar 6, 2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Rxrxn, you are awesome man! I will definitely give these a read! Appreciate all the help guys! Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Lion
Rxrxn, you are awesome man! I will definitely give these a read! Appreciate all the help guys! Thank you!
Not a problem bro! Just keep at it and rest assured that your RA will ride it through the end. These cars are beasts and they are amazing machines to take care of. Hopefully your issue gets resolved using these tips and tricks. If not, you can always report back to us and we will be more than happy to help you until your problems are gone.

Take care man! And let us know how it goes!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd suggest getting an intake cleaning service done or do one yourself

easiest way to DIY an intake cleaning is get a can of brake cleaner and while the engine is running remove that hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake tube by the throttle body at the valve cover end and spray in the hose about 1 second bursts so it goes into the intake tube not the valve cover
everytime you spray the idle will go down, wait for it to come back up and do it again and it will do it's thing...and clean it all out for you
make sure you don't hydrolock the engine...aka when the idle starts going down STOP SPRAYING or you may cause damage to the engine
you may get an engine light for running lean since you removed the hose, just use a code reader or take it to the parts store and clear it(see what the codes are first of course...)

make sure while it's doing it's thing the engine is running around 1500-2500rpm(get a somebody to hold the idle up for you or prop the gas pedal down with something) so all the cleaning stuff goes through the egr and cleans it up...(best as it can)

also i'd suggest cleaning the maf with MAF cleaner..
don't use anything that will leave a residue or you'll end up chasing your tail and probably buying a new maf when u don't need to among other things

like crans said...check the purge valve...(theres a thread about it somewhere...basically you disable one of the hoses for the valve behind the intake and the engine will or wont idle rough...telling you it's good or bad...i don't remember the exact procedure or result off-hand tho)

after that, if you still have issues try coming back with more info...