Notices

RA owners HELP.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
RA owners HELP.

What's up everyone. I need your guys' help based on your knowledge and experiences! I have a 2004 Ralliart that I want to start modding. It is completely stock, however, I am not too sure if it has some type of custom muffler/exhaust. (I bought it this way). I'm assuming it's custom because I've seen other stock ralliart before. I could be wrong. Back to the point. The car was a blast to drive when I first got it but now it's not that impressive anymore since i got accustomed to it. I've read on a couple of forums that before one starts to mod they must know what exactly they want out of it. So my reasons to mod are as followed. 1) I wanna have a fast/quick car at my disposal. I want to have fun driving and If I ever need the power I'll use it knowing I have it. 2) power means nothing if the car doesn't handle well either. 3) (more personal) I would like to be able to hold my own against people with Si's that think they're bad ***. RSX type s, integras, etc.
This is where you guys come in. Based on your knowledge what are good mods I should start with that will help me obtain more power across the rpm range. What would a good 1,500 get me to start. Thanks!!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention that I would like to stay NA
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All depends on the power figure your chasing. You can get little modifications which are bang for your buck that add alittle hp but not a big deal, but still make a noticeable difference
Road race motorsports ( Us site)
Race performance works ( aus site)

They both deal will ralliarts with bolt on parts you can buy.

But alot of this is covered throughout countless threads. Look at install guides peoples product reviews

Last edited by 347-dis; Apr 25, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 347-dis
All depends on the power figure your chasing. You can get little modifications which are bang for your buck that add alittle hp but not a big deal, but still make a noticeable difference
Road race motorsports ( Us site)
Race performance works ( aus site)

They both deal will ralliarts with bolt on parts you can buy.

But alot of this is covered throughout countless threads. Look at install guides peoples product reviews

RRM will take your buck, but won't give you much bang.

$1500 is a little tight...

whiteline sway bar - $180
front camber kit - $40
ECU tuning - $500 including fastworks software, and base tune with increased rev limit ($170 tactrix openport cable required, but could be borrowed)
Intake and exhaust is optional.
Shifter bushings and solid motor mounts highly recommended

if your timing belt is worn, you might want to spend your money on that first, lol
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Like mentioned above, I wanna be able to hold my own.. So I wanna have power across the board. I have looked at RRM and it seems like you can get a little hp for a lot of $$.. I was planning on getting a UDP and a CAI. But as you said it won't be a lot but it will be noticeable.. Before I do that I'd like to know what I can do to get more hp and come back to those basic mods after what's? Get me? Yes, 1500 is a bit tight but It's just a start.. And as money starts to come in I'll continue modding..

Last edited by Blue_Lion; Apr 25, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

tuning...you can basically get like 10whp with no other modifications.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
tuning...you can basically get like 10whp with no other modifications.
im basically right with you ... i wanna get up there with some sir, rsx's maybe even n sti .. lol. but basically with out going turbo??looks like it wont happen .. how about things like rrm's pulley .. or just another cash grab?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know a reputable tuner in southern ca?.. Or is there a DIY?.. I'm a complete noob.. Sorry..
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

After doing some research all day, and reading the performance parts reviews, Here's what I might end up getting: blox motor mount, UDP, aem CAI( rrm site or used?), rrm timing control box, RPW stage 1 camshaft( maybe, read good reviews) , P&P intake manifold. RPW header/down pipe, magnaflow catback exhaust( or custom). And Once I get all that installed I will tune/reflash ecu to mend all the mods. Or should I go with the piggy? Approximately, what would the numbers look for this? Also, is this the order I should follow?

Last edited by Blue_Lion; Apr 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Done my research
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

skip to piggy back and timing box, ECU tuning does both of those and MUCH more...If you buy hackish's tuning software, a base tune is included, but then you can have any tuner make it more aggressive if you want more power. RPW's cam maybe or may not be a good option...I've heard that it was designed for the lancer VRX, and is not much different than the stock cam for USDM Ralliart, but I haven't heard much about it, and the cost is quite high. Exhaust work will open it up a bit in the top end, but you will lose some torque down low. UDP is fine, CAI is fine, though modified stock believe it or not is likely better (no heat soak)
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
skip to piggy back and timing box, ECU tuning does both of those and MUCH more...If you buy hackish's tuning software, a base tune is included, but then you can have any tuner make it more aggressive if you want more power. RPW's cam maybe or may not be a good option...I've heard that it was designed for the lancer VRX, and is not much different than the stock cam for USDM Ralliart, but I haven't heard much about it, and the cost is quite high. Exhaust work will open it up a bit in the top end, but you will lose some torque down low. UDP is fine, CAI is fine, though modified stock believe it or not is likely better (no heat soak)
I'm assuming you mean skip THE piggy and timing box and go for hackish' s tune rather than skip TO the piggy and timing box meaning to get those both first, correct? If that's the case I will look into hackish's reflash. Any advice on whether or not to get RPWs header down pipe and RRMs p&p Intake manifold?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I mean skip the piggyback and timing box all together, they're crap...

I thought you we're on a budget, now you're talking about headers and ported intake manifolds...I'm telling you, a good tune will give you more power than intake and exhaust. within the budget you quoted, tuning will get you the most bang for your buck...also RPW is in Australia, while I've never personally ordered anything from them, I would imagine shipping costs would be a little higher on larger items, such as an exhaust system...most people the the OBX header, cause it's cheaper. Anyway, for header/downpipe and ported intake manifold, you're looking at roughly $800 plus tax and shipping, that'll take you over $1,000 and you won't have enough for tuning of any kind. take a step back, if you want to port your intake manifold, you can get one from a wrecker for $100 and port it yourself, or pay someone to do it. Look at the description, there's a $300 core charge, so you pay $679 until you send your stock one back. they say 7-10hp, but I would like to see proof of that.

OBX header http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1777

I would do RalliartN's intake mod, and get your ECU reflashed first and foremost.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

I will go for that then. Thanks man.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:32 PM

+1 on the timing belt if it's anywhere near needing to be replaced. I'm dealing with the headache of a snapped timing belt right now, it's no fun.

Upgraded brakes are nice too, but they'll just slow you down..
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'm back.. With another noob question.. Bear with me.. What exactly do I ask for when I go to flash the ecu? Should I simply tell the tuner I want more power? Or how would it work?

Quick Reply: RA owners HELP.