Notices

Weird Front End Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Front End Clunk Noise

I have this weird clunking noise coming from the front drivers side of my car. It only really happens when I'm in first gear and accelerate rapidly and let off the gas quick and the engine falls on itself there is a noise coming from the driver side I can feel it on my foot when it happens. It's like something pops out when I let of the gas and then as soon as I go back on it. it pops back in and I don't really hear it otherwise.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check for ball joint play, and excessive differential play in the CV joints...
Old May 1, 2015, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTCB
I have this weird clunking noise coming from the front drivers side of my car. It only really happens when I'm in first gear and accelerate rapidly and let off the gas quick and the engine falls on itself there is a noise coming from the driver side I can feel it on my foot when it happens. It's like something pops out when I let of the gas and then as soon as I go back on it. it pops back in and I don't really hear it otherwise.
Yo Justin t'as tu encore des troubles de supports à moteur?? Prends une barre à clous pis fait travailler les supports voir si t'entends encore ton bruit. Mon Lancer va bientôt être roulable, j'pourrais passer te voir!
Old May 4, 2015, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Yo Justin t'as tu encore des troubles de supports à moteur?? Prends une barre à clous pis fait travailler les supports voir si t'entends encore ton bruit. Mon Lancer va bientôt être roulable, j'pourrais passer te voir!
yes, could be motor mounts...xmaster, what's up with your car? been down a while?
Old May 5, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
yes, could be motor mounts...xmaster, what's up with your car? been down a while?
All motors mounts are brand new. As far as the direction... Ive checked balljoints, differential play, tie rods.. everything is tight. The only thing I could think off is the strut.. I know that the left is leaking maybe the cause of the noise... Anyways I ordered new struts and mounts for the front. Finally the hole suspension will be done.
Old May 5, 2015, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Car isn't technically down, but past due on many maintenance items, like the timing belt (car has 210000 kms). If everything goes according to plan, I should get my Lancer back Friday the 15th. Until then, I use my winter beater (88 323 gtx, gotta love the awd boosted life :P).
Old May 6, 2015, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

All motors mounts are brand new. As far as the direction... Ive checked balljoints, differential play, tie rods.. everything is tight. The only thing I could think off is the strut.. I know that the left is leaking maybe the cause of the noise... Anyways I ordered new struts and mounts for the front. Finally the hole suspension will be done.

is your transmission cross-member broken?

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Car isn't technically down, but past due on many maintenance items, like the timing belt (car has 210000 kms). If everything goes according to plan, I should get my Lancer back Friday the 15th. Until then, I use my winter beater (88 323 gtx, gotta love the awd boosted life :P).
right on...sounded like you had a break-down or something...guess my French understanding isn't that good, lol...cheers
Old May 11, 2015, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear you're chasing the infamous, "bumps and clunks"! For what it's worth though, I have to throw in another suggestion, for I chased the same for nearly six months and addressed "all of the above" but refused to give in to one significant diagnosis. When I finally submitted, it solved my problem...

Steering Rack! Hopefully this is not the problem, but from the symptoms you are describing, mine were the same; upon acceleration from a stop, to backing off the gas, and even in turns, which got worse and worse over time, and it felt like it was coming from under my feet! Bakuro shared the same symptoms (not sure what his final dx was) and seeing that it's coming from the same year and model, I'd have to say rule that out also. Get a set of "ears (stethescope)" and listen to the pinion box for grinding... and check the rack mounting bolts/bushings! I was told AFTER the installation that the mounting bolt bushings go bad and, even though there was some obvious grinding/clunking coming from the pinion box, I have to wonder if the pinion was truly the problem.

Last edited by truthdweller; May 11, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Sorry to hear you're chasing the infamous, "bumps and clunks"! For what it's worth though, I have to throw in another suggestion, for I chased the same for nearly six months and addressed "all of the above" but refused to give in to one significant diagnosis. When I finally submitted, it solved my problem...

Steering Rack! Hopefully this is not the problem, but from the symptoms you are describing, mine were the same; upon acceleration from a stop, to backing off the gas, and even in turns, which got worse and worse over time, and it felt like it was coming from under my feet! Bakuro shared the same symptoms (not sure what his final dx was) and seeing that it's coming from the same year and model, I'd have to say rule that out also. Get a set of "ears (stethescope)" and listen to the pinion box for grinding... and check the rack mounting bolts/bushings! I was told AFTER the installation that the mounting bolt bushings go bad and, even though there was some obvious grinding/clunking coming from the pinion box, I have to wonder if the pinion was truly the problem.
Hmmm interesting. Ill have to check it out this weekend when its on the lift. Just for reference how long was it to change the steering rack? With the new steering rack was your car more firm and more sensitive to steering movement?
Old May 11, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmm interesting. Ill have to check it out this weekend when its on the lift. Just for reference how long was it to change the steering rack? With the new steering rack was your car more firm and more sensitive to steering movement?

I had a shop do it and they had it ready in about 3-4 hours, I believe. Although, they are historically FAST with their work...ie; rear motor mount = 1hr!

Steering was back to normal, as it should be afterwards...no more bumps and clunks!

Last edited by truthdweller; May 11, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old May 11, 2015, 04:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
when struts get really bad, the shaft will knock around inside the casing. if it's been leaking, that could be your problem.
Old May 12, 2015, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
when struts get really bad, the shaft will knock around inside the casing. if it's been leaking, that could be your problem.
Interesting. Thats what I was thinking at first because I checked everything else.... Im geting the suspension done this weekend so ill guess will find out then
Old May 12, 2015, 08:38 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Interesting. Thats what I was thinking at first because I checked everything else.... Im geting the suspension done this weekend so ill guess will find out then
i had a civic do that. the rear knocked over every speed bump LOL. it was so blown, it wasn't even funny. i noticed while following my girlfriend while she drove it. the back wheel was bouncing up and down like crazy. i couldn't tell from inside.
Old May 12, 2015, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have this problem right now as well. trying to pinpoint the cause. i changed a bunch of stuff and have ordered some parts as well. i'll post it all up in Tramp's (my car's) thread when i have some time in my hands.
i would say rack and pinion as well or somewhere around the steering rack. my control arms need changing as well so i will let you guys know if the clunking noise goes away after that.
i'm finally on the path to renewing my Ralliart...
Old May 25, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rzrxn
i have this problem right now as well. trying to pinpoint the cause. i changed a bunch of stuff and have ordered some parts as well. i'll post it all up in Tramp's (my car's) thread when i have some time in my hands.
i would say rack and pinion as well or somewhere around the steering rack. my control arms need changing as well so i will let you guys know if the clunking noise goes away after that.
i'm finally on the path to renewing my Ralliart...
Just got told that I have a stripped subframe bolt on the side that is making noise... So I'm wondering if it could be that..