Notices

Prediction

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prediction

I predict that in the next 3-5 years, one of the most popular engine swaps will no longer be Honda/Acura. Instead, Evo owner's are going to start swapping out the 2.0 for a turbocharged MIVEC 2.4. Think about it, a car with power like Turbotech P.R. w/ all wheel drive! Wait until all the mods are out and people see the type of power these engines are capable of. Anyway, I might be wrong too...lol
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

i think the new swap will remain in Honda's court... with the new K series motors the room for improvement keeps exceeding itself... at this moment there is a 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 liter with 6 spd availabilites, but the price is kinda high for your average swap...
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie1111
I predict that in the next 3-5 years, one of the most popular engine swaps will no longer be Honda/Acura.
You're right about that, but the overtaker I think you are wrong about. I think the SR20DET, CA18DET, and RBxxDET will take over. The Sylvia/240SX is becoming very popular as drifting becomes more popular, and those cars and engines are pretty cheap to come by these days. There is a company in Poughkeepsie, NY that sells the changeover kit for $4800, which is a pretty good deal considering it turns it into a drop-in engine.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno honda has such a huge advantage I think their lead may decrease but I doubt nissan or mitsu will take the lead in the next 5 years
Old Aug 5, 2004, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Anyway, I guess my point was that it would be a great swap and relative to the number of vehicles made, quite a few people would probably do it. I could have phrased it a little better...hangover. Does Mitsu have any intention of switching the evo to the 2.4 in a future model?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

People should stop reading mags that pimp a lot of "feel good" hearsay.

The SR20DET are not getting any cheaper now. Last DEC, a S13 frontcut (red top) cost around 1800 on average w/o freight. Now, it's around 2200-2500 on average. How do I know? I had a 240sx for 8 months, and I added all the cost to do such swap.

The CA18DET will be cheap as with the RB20DET, because no one really wants them. Tons of supply but no demand.

Has anyone really looked at the RB25DET or RB26DET prices? It far exceeds a car down payment. All mag hyped it up beyond proportion.

As for the EVO guys swapping, it won't happen. The G63T is a proven motor.

Let's look at a trend? How many DSMs from the 1g to 2g has stroked or swapped their engine to become 2.3, 2.4, or a bit beyond. It's still a rarity. Of course, does anyone think Mitsu is in the business of making crate motors?

H&A guys will still lead, because their motor is almost plug and play . . . so many parts. The 4g6x parts bin isn't as vast as the b or k-series motor. Also, do you think H&A have a business making crate motors? Yes, they do. It's out there.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 6, 2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Bahamut is totally right here...but this topic poses another question. baha was involved a while ago when talking about teh swap of the 4G64 into a regular US Lancer so that poses the question of what mitsu motors will swap into what cars???

I have a pretty good idea but lets see if someone else wants to start a real topic here. The only way to truly see what is interchangable is to lay down the groundwork and actually do the homework!!!
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie1111
Anyway, I guess my point was that it would be a great swap and relative to the number of vehicles made, quite a few people would probably do it. I could have phrased it a little better...hangover. Does Mitsu have any intention of switching the evo to the 2.4 in a future model?
I think Mitsu is going to keep the EVO to the WRC rules, which means the engine can be no larger than 2.0. Unless they are mad at the STI for using a larger engine.......
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

I think parts in the MIVEC engine may be used for the EVO, although the 4G63 is still a better engine because of the DOHC, this will be the main reason that most people don't want to switch to the Mivec. Plus there are many stroker kits for the EVO engine already and the cost of doing that would be less than buying the MIVEC motor and putting it into the EVO.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

what mitsu motors will swap into what cars???
======================

Mitsu is limited on US shores. When you look in the pacific rim countries, except in Aussie and NZ, they swap motors as common as the H&A guys.

As for MIVEC G63T
===============

Takes too much effort to break groundwork on US shores. There is a MIVEC GTO w/ a 6g72 TT . . . it has all white or cream colored valve cover. See . . . MIVEC is rare, except for the smaller displacement motors.

http://www.mirageforums.net/phpBB2/v...ght=6g72+mivec

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 6, 2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Let me start up another prediction....

I predict in 3 to 5 years, Lancer RA MIVEC engine will become DOHC instead of SOHC. Thats my prediction ~
Old Aug 6, 2004, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I disagree with your prediction, Mitsubishi Motors wants to keep it SOHC because it keeps the engine design so it is non-interference which is much better for the warranty department and especially because of the long warranty of the newer RA's. They have kept of the V6 in the eclipse SOHC which is a similar motor to that engine in the Stealth/3000GT which was DOHC and also the 6G72 which is the same motor as the the 3G eclipse being in the 6Gxx family and they haven't made that DOHC yet and probably will not. Mitsubishi got the lesson once...SOHC is much safer and if you own an EVO and it breaks your warranty is worthless anyways!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

US shores = SOHC = conservative. Cost benefits Mitsu big time.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 6, 2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I know that there are more than one difference between interference and non-intereference, but I think the mitsu is using intereference in teh MIVEC motor now. One BIG trait of inteference is if the timing belt snaps then you bend valves...amongst other things. Just because it is SOHC doesnt make it non-intereference automatically. Someone can correct me if they are sure I am wrong, but I dont think I am.

As far as predictions go, I think that SOHC MIVEC motor wont be used in the Evo, but a new design of the 4G63T motor utilizing Mitsu's superior Valve Technology AND retainging the 2.0 liter displacement...AND DOHC is possible sometime in the future. The 4G63 is rather old now being nearly 15 years old...maybe a little overhaul is in our future!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

GM's small block V8 was used for a very long time, and they didn't change it until 96 or so in favor of the LS motor.

Well, Mitsu is at a deadend on the 4g6x and 4g9x blocks while the 6g7x is nearing its end. Mitsu is certainly not bringing the 6a1x block from overseas.

If MIVEC is that popular and tuner friendly, there should be a vast array of performance products for MIVEC overseas like Vtec in America. The fact is MIVEC isn't popular, except in its home market.

Maybe, someone should ask Shiv or other tuners to experiement using MIVEC on their Evo. The question will likely be ignored or given a stone wall answer or a polite "no thank you."

Then again, the 3g eclipse guys have resources since 00, and they haven't done a DOHC swap using modern Evo parts. I know they can put a 4g69 in their car over their 4g64, but I don't think they have the will.