Notices

timing belt diy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing belt diy?

has anyone here done their own timing belt nd balance belt?
i was looking online and it said theres a second belt for the balance shaft wich according to online it says u need several "special tools" so before i go to gthe dealer i figured id ask in here before i get ripped off too bad...

anybody know if or how to get theese if they are required without taking it to the dealer and having to pay like $600..(just throwing out a number not a quote)...?

Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt have any special tools. The timing belt itself is an easy job. just time consuming.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You actually need a special tool for the tensioner iirc. We use a threaded piece of metal an re-threaded it.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

? I never needed anything special for any of it :/
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
? I never needed anything special for any of it :/
Did you replace tensioners an pulleys?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
I didnt have any special tools. The timing belt itself is an easy job. just time consuming.
did you replace the balance belt too or just the timing belt?
theese special tool(s) say they're for when u remove something to get access or something to replace the balance belt
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I just had my timing belt and balancer belt changed on my 2004 ralliart by a local mistu deader. I would suggest going that route if you have the money (380$). IMO I could have done the work, I do all the maintenance and moding myself but a timing belt change is time consuming and something you would not want to make a mistake on.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gooseman396
I just had my timing belt and balancer belt changed on my 2004 ralliart by a local mistu deader. I would suggest going that route if you have the money (380$). IMO I could have done the work, I do all the maintenance and moding myself but a timing belt change is time consuming and something you would not want to make a mistake on.

did u change just the belts or did u do all the pulleys and balancer involved?
i figured at 113k liki i am it wouldnt hurt (xept for my wallet) to go ahead and do em all...but like i said i dunno if i need theese special tools and if i could even get em if necesary...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
did u change just the belts or did u do all the pulleys and balancer involved?
i figured at 113k liki i am it wouldnt hurt (xept for my wallet) to go ahead and do em all...but like i said i dunno if i need theese special tools and if i could even get em if necesary...
I had 78,000 on the car they only changed the belts they inspected the tensioner and watter pump and guides and said they were in good condition and not worth replacing. As for special tools I havent ever herd about any tools from others that have done it but that doesnt mean the "right way" doesnt use them
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

"right way"....hehe...

i guess thats true if u dont HAVE to use em...i guess they're not NECESSARY...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a subscription to ALLDATA and it's a pretty good resource for the price.

That being said, if you aren't sure and this is your DD, then dropping the coin on a mechanic to do it is probably best.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

done w. my timing belt 2 weeks ago got w. otter at his place and got it all done and after a few snags and paranoia the car runs fine..i think it sounds a bit different...a little louder and raspier, a bit less torquey feeling but im not complaining...maybe its just still that paranoia/ "new car again" feeling who knows...(bought it used so i dunno how it was new..)

went ahead and changed all the timing and balance pulleys, both belts and the tensioner...along w/ the water pump and thermostat and also the serp belt.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

done w. my timing belt 2 weeks ago got w. otter at his place and got it all done and after a few snags and paranoia the car runs fine..i think it sounds a bit different...a little louder and raspier, a bit less torquey feeling but im not complaining...maybe its just still that paranoia/ "new car again" feeling who knows...(bought it used so i dunno how it was new..)

went ahead and changed all the timing and balance pulleys, both belts and the tensioner...along w/ the water pump and thermostat and also the serp belt.
how-to with pics maybe? man i wish i had some of you guys living in my area so i wasnt the lone ranger when it comes to having an RA. must be nice...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you're just paranoid
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

yea...im sure about that

Quick Reply: timing belt diy?