Notices

Cracked Rim, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Rim, HELP!!!

today i hit a pretty big pothole and bent the inside edge of my rim, i took it to my tire shop and the proceeded to bend it back with a sledge. They got the rim to seal off but there is a very small crack (.5") on the outer edge of the lip of the rim. They said that i would have to get a new rim.
with all the technology out there is there any way to fix this (ie aluminum welder)
also with this small of a crack what danger does this pose? I am completly dumb when it comes to this any help ASAP would be appreciated.
Old May 11, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

If you where in Mexico you could get that fixed!!! there are plenty of shops doing that kind of job, In US i haven't hear of any!!!
Old May 11, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

As a general rule of thumb, if it is broken, it can NEVER be returned to normal condition. Seeing where you live, and if you plan on babying the car for the rest of your ownership, you might be ok.... I would play it safe and just get the new wheel though, much safer in the long (and short) run.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by need Z
As a general rule of thumb, if it is broken, it can NEVER be returned to normal condition. Seeing where you live, and if you plan on babying the car for the rest of your ownership, you might be ok.... I would play it safe and just get the new wheel though, much safer in the long (and short) run.
I do not care about normal condition i just do not want for it to get any worse. Right now it drives and handles like the day i got the car. But everyone keeps saying i need to get a new one, what would happen if i did not? The wheels i have are no longer made thud i would have to get a whole new set mega $$$ that i do not have so i was wanting a fix. I do not race nor am i worried about asthetics, the rims are scratched up alot. i just want it to handle as a daily driver until i can afford a new set.
Old May 11, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Just replace the single wheel... possibility!?
Old May 11, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

replace the wheel ive seen a couple people on here selling them for around 200 shipped
Old May 11, 2005, 05:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There are places that do wheel repair, but I can't imagine that it'd be much cheaper than replacing the wheel. You shouldn't need to buy a full set, just one wheel, there'll be a company out there that'll sell you one.
Old May 11, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

If they're discontnued, though, it'll be hard to find just one. I got the impression these weren't the stockers.

now, you can weld aluminum. And if done RIGHT the weld can actually be stronger than the original material. The key is that it's done right. Call around and find out what shops are willing to even look at it. Then after they say "ok" ask how long they've been repairing cracked aluminum wheels. It's gonna be 'spensive, but if you can't replace the wheel it may be your only option.

I wouldn't recommend not getting it fixed. Sure, you tell us you don't race, but all it's gonna take is the one time you're staring down an empty winding road.... you open the throttle.... first turn... second turn.... third turn with a pothole or branch in the road- and you're in the ditch with a fubar'd car. Plus, if the first pothole in normal driving did this, then I'd say repeated injuries will probably destroy the wheel.

Have you contacted the city to see about damage recovery for the pothole? If the hole's been reported and not repaired, I think most every jurisdiction has to pay for damages.
Old May 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by engineerboy
Have you contacted the city to see about damage recovery for the pothole? If the hole's been reported and not repaired, I think most every jurisdiction has to pay for damages.
That doesn't work in Chicago. There was a big deal about it a few years ago, and they basically said everyone who bent a wheel on a Chicago pothole was S.O.L.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation Just so you know .....

Originally Posted by dewman1999
today i hit a pretty big pothole and bent the inside edge of my rim, i took it to my tire shop and the proceeded to bend it back with a sledge. They got the rim to seal off but there is a very small crack (.5") on the outer edge of the lip of the rim. They said that i would have to get a new rim.
with all the technology out there is there any way to fix this (ie aluminum welder)
also with this small of a crack what danger does this pose? I am completly dumb when it comes to this any help ASAP would be appreciated.
I also hit a very big pothole and bent my rim...it also broke my control arm...and two weeks later...the impact it had on the hit. ... broke my tranmission...you are better off buying a new rim and avoiding stupid pot holes ...wendy
Old May 12, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

the price and time to get it fixed will be more than just buying a new rim. around here its like 85 bucks to fix a bent rim.. and thats only to fix bends not cracks
Old May 12, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

or just get brand new rims... replace all four
Old May 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com.../web_store.cgi
Old Jun 6, 2005, 01:57 AM

HELP!!!
does any body knows any wheel repair store around the city of San Francisco?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

go to tires.com and locate a discount tire store near you. Discount Tires in texas deal with wheel repair shop when they accidently damage a customers wheel. They should be able to tell you where a wheel repair shop is located near you. Depending on the extent of damage to the wheel they should be able to fix it, but I would keep looking for a replacement.

Odds are that if you dont replace it, the crack will get bigger and will eventually quit holding air. Once this happens you will have no choice but to buy a rim anyway.