Notices

Brake Upgrade Options - Ralliart from RPW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Upgrade Options - Ralliart from RPW

Trying to guage some interest on a front Brake caliper upgrade.

On the ralliart models, which are running a 276mm single piston caliper factory, RPW has a twin piston caliper (EVO Design essentially) which will bolt straight onto the vehicle.

This will allow the use of EVO brake pads and has an obvious benefit in terms of braking upgrade on the vehicle.

The price would be $1066.00 AUD$ for a set of reconditioned calipers (Painted your colour of choice), EBC Kevlar "Green Stuff" brake pads and new brake lines (Standard) or optional Stainless steel braided lines for approx an extra $70.00 AUD$

As said these are a direct bolt on and when used with a more advanced brake rotor (We recomend the EBC brand) this package is awesome on the vehicle. I would need to check but would probbaly require your rim size to be 1" larger than factory in order to clear the caliper.

My question is then who would be interested in something like this? I don't have a lot of stocks for this at this moment, but if the demand is there for it then I will need to organise some new stocks.

http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20...r105brakes.htm

Last edited by Mitsiman; Mar 8, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I'm interested, but may take a while if I need 17's.... any way you might consider a group buy? If so, what price could you do it for on say, 5 kits?

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Mar 8, 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This vehicle runs the Mitsubishi Lancer 4 X 114 pattern lug pattern which does make things a little more difficult but nothing that can't be overcome.
Aren't we 5 x 114mm?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

like booze said, if I need 17's it will be awhile, but I am definitely interested in this kit. can you package rotors with it and what is the cost in USD for the current kit or the kit with rotors?

these calipers fit the same size rotor as stock, so there is no diameter increase? From my understanding this will not stop the car as fast as a single piston with a larger rotor. The only advantage I see over RRM's big brake kit (and not to make this a competition thread) is that you don't add any rotational mass and therefore don't lose any whp. That and you say it is bolt on and theirs requires modification. So please, enlighten me. And if it is not as good, say so. Yours is bolt on and you keep your power so it's not like it doesn't have it's advantages. I just want the lowdown on the braking power between the two systems, if you get me. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

well first thing first - this brake kit doesnt care if its a 4 X 114 or 5 X 114 pattern. We can also supply rotors to suit either option.

Secondly a twin piston setup even on the same rotor diameter will improve braking for two reasons

1 - the twin piston utilises a larger brake pad with more surface area
2 - the twin piston by design, has greater pressure over area with two small pistons pushing on a wider front

So essentially teh combination of a larger brake pads, better materail, beter pressure over area of a twin piston setup will combine to produce a large brake improvement. THis is somethign we do a lot over here and just gets better and better.

Yes we can supply a complete package - it woudl be excluding freight $1500.00 AUD$ give or take a bit depending on which rotor setup you require for a complete rotor, caliper, ebc brake pads and hoses.

I personally woudl not bother with trying to ship over brake rotors unless you can't get decent ones there the cost of freight woudl be very high. Better to just get teh calipers (and I do mean direct bolt on no mods required) pads and brake lines and go from there.

Last edited by Mitsiman; Mar 10, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsiman
So essentially teh combination of a larger brake pads, better materail, beter pressure over area of a twin piston setup will combine to produce a large brake improvement. THis is somethign we do a lot over here and just gets better and better.

I personally woudl not bother with trying to ship over brake rotors unless you can't get decent ones there the cost of freight woudl be very high. Better to just get teh calipers (and I do mean direct bolt on no mods required) pads and brake lines and go from there.
Hahaha, you said teh....twice! Ub3r l33t hax0r n00b!

But yeah, 1500 + ridiculous shipping...you guys would be better off getting brakes in the states. No offense to RPW.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ya buying the rotors here sounds much more affordable, but I'm still pretty interested in upgrading to twin piston calipers on the front.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

bolt on does have it's advantages. I would like to see the comparison between the big brake kit and the dual piston calipers though. The theory is solid, and I am not doubting the performance increase by any means. I am just not convinced it will show as much of an improvement over a 1" diameter increase. No matter what size brake pads you can use you can't even touch the pad to surface ratio of a larger caliper, larger disc, and larger pad. And I am also concerned with heat dissapation. With a large disc there should be less heat buildup for the same braking power, and because you have a larger overall surface area it will cool faster as well. Combine all these factors together and it looks like you will get better stopping out of both kits, with the big brake kit coming out on top with modification required. I will do some independent research before I decide which to go for.
Excellent upgrade, you guys are doing a great job down under and thanks a lot for the detailed explanation

I asked before and am not sure whether it got overlooked or not. And this will probably be one of the major factors in my choice. Do I need to go to 17" rims to accommodate your two piston calipers? No modification and no rim upgrade = perfect for what I want on my car. tell me what I want to hear please
Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have had this brake upgrade before, awesome stopping power will stop you dead and that was without ABS and EBD.... on my full converssion on front and rear I had only 15" rims and there was no rubbing etc filled in the space so nicely

So as for rim size, 16" rims will be fine no problems with the slightly bigger calypers shoved behind it -

Last edited by chowetime; Mar 12, 2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

So is this the official RPW opinion? I want a definative answer from a company rep. I don't want to buy rims until the car is a track car, and don't want to do any non-bolt on mods until my warranty period is over. This is the most likely brake option for me because of these two things. Will it work with my stock 16" rims? Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it will work with factory 16" rims no problems. Factory 15" rims not so sure about. That is teh official RPW answer -
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

awesome, thanks alot!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

So for the US, we'd be looking at 780 for the calipers, pads, and brake lines, or 1100 for all that plus the rotors, and this does not include shipping. I would not buy a setup like this at that kind of price for my car. I feel it's not worth the money. But I'm not likely to be the target buyer either, since I don't have a turbo, and I don't take my car to the track.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

the pricing actually isn't that bad...rotora was a WHOLE lot more of course with either of Rotora's set-ups you are either getting a 4 piston caliper with a 13" rotor, for that your going to be paying $1,400...but for ya'll extremist! they also have the 6 piston caliper with i think it was 14" rotors, and that one is $2,700...of course its better in terms of the caliper but i think it would just give another option if your not wanting that much braking power......im not personally sure of the quality of either brand (Rotara or RPW) but i have never heard complaints about either...but when i get ready to really upgrade my brake system, which will be within the year, i will be glad to see that there is an option thats under 1400 bucks...just my 2c
http://www.rotora.com/catalog/ROTOR...201,%202005.pdf
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsiman
Yes it will work with factory 16" rims no problems. Factory 15" rims not so sure about. That is teh official RPW answer -
Hello Dave

Remember me....

Anyway just for discussion sake, the EVO3 2pot calipers are the same as the Airtrek Turbo calipers, both with 276mm rotors. What is interesting to know is that the current EVO RS 2pot calipers are identical as well (just that the mounting points are different). However the rotor is at 294mm rather than 276mm. This means that if a bracket is fabricated well, it can house the 294mm rather than the 276mm.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade Options - Ralliart from RPW