Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The Ultimate 2009 Ralliart Thread mega merge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
XRS
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by austenm
I have a feeling that it will be availible in a 5 speed what cars are auto only anyways?
This may not sound so good but I know for sure these two cars are auto only and they are both from mitsubishi.

The Galant RALLIART
The Lancer Evo X MR

What's up with these performance models coming with autos anyways. Please do not argue with me about "semi auto" either.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the RA only comes in an auto that will suck, but at least my girl would be able to drive my car when im drunk lol jk. i hope it will also come in 5speed, im not too sure im gonna like this whole sst setup.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS
This may not sound so good but I know for sure these two cars are auto only and they are both from mitsubishi.

The Galant RALLIART
The Lancer Evo X MR

What's up with these performance models coming with autos anyways. Please do not argue with me about "semi auto" either.
IMO its either manual or auto, nothing in between. i dont care what ppl say. you either have a clutch pedal or you dont.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
SST != auto. Very different transmissions that work very very differently. Remember that a SST shifts faster than a manual transmission. From what we've seen on Evo X MR testing, the SST is slower on the launch but faster in every other aspect.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BABYEVO1
i can very sadly say that this dissapoints me that the RA is only coming in an auto for that i will find a used Evo or get the new GSR which comes in a 5spd. The MR is the only one coming out in the SST. But lets hope that the new RA does end up coming out in a 5spd. Now answer me this Y does Mitsu always F**k up this Sh*t seriously i know i know the whole buying thing but y dont they also come out in a 5spd too. gotta remember its Mitsu they might surprise us (hopefully)
+1....I'll have to see on the SST. But will be really disappointed without a less expensive 5 sp. M/T offer.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder if the ralliarts drivetrain will bolt up to the 4b12? Same chassis, as long as the tranny is the same bolt pattern. How about an AWD 4B12? Sounds like fun to me!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS
They did this with the EVO X too. All they did was announce it will come with the SST and people were questioning if it will come with the 5 speed. It will be very sad if they don't have the traditional manual.
there really is no reason for them NOT to offer the manual. i mean if they offer it in the GTS and the evo what makes the RA so special to NOT have it? i think the big thing for them is to announce that the SST is standard, and the 5 speed can be a no cost option announced later on or made available later on.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
SST != auto. Very different transmissions that work very very differently. Remember that a SST shifts faster than a manual transmission. From what we've seen on Evo X MR testing, the SST is slower on the launch but faster in every other aspect.
I could be wrong but, if the others voicing their discontent are thinking along the same lines as me, it's not necessarily about how well the SST performs. "SST = Auto" is not about shift speed or holding a gear in a turn (both of which the SST does well)... it's the other, non-performance, characteristics that come from having a clutch.

It's about the satisfaction of manually engaging the clutch and rowing through the gears...

It's about the pride in being one of the few who still know how to operate a clutch...

It's about knowing what gear you are in by the location of the knob in your right hand (instead of having to look at some display)...

It's about letting off the gas and your vehicle NOT moving forward until you give it gas...

It's about the extra attention driving a manual requires and the extra sense of connection you feel with your vehicle as a result (on the rare occasion that I drive an automatic I end up feeling like I'm on autopilot and don't pay as much attention)

I could go on but, in the end, it's really about "SST /= Manual"

All that being said, I will probably still get a new Ralliart. I need a new car soon, the ralliart is the closest fit to my needs, and the SST is probably a good thing in the long run since I spend most of my time behind the wheel in traffic and it will probably get better gas mileage.

One parting thought:

I seriously looked into the Audi A3 when it first came out and all the reviews were amazed by its amazing new transmission. However, after checking the Audi forums, I found that most of the owners who came from driving true MT miss it and after a few months they almost never use the manual mode (paddle shifters) letting the computer do the work for them.

When I learned manual on my first car over ten years ago, I was so excited that I thought I would drive manual vehicles for the rest of my days. It makes me feel a little bit sad and a little bit old to realize that I probably won’t.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:00 PM

dude whoever said it's a possible replacement for an RS is on crack. Two totally different cars. Also somebody said that's it's supposed to be an affordable Evo? WTF not everything that's has AWD and a turbo is some sort of Evo variation. Is the B5 Audi S4 a luxurious evo because it's an Audi and it has AWD and two turbos? What about the 335xi? Come on man.

Also for all the other closed minded or miss informed people the SST tranny is actually a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. I've only driven an M3 with SMG that's similar but obviously not dual clutch but if your on an incline and you take your foot off the brake you roll back just as with a traditional manual tranny. This transmission could shift faster than anyone could ever shift on a traditional tranny, which equals into faster times. I mean if they use this technology in Formula One cars which is the world's fastest sport. Why not have that technology come standard? Yea traditional manuals are cool but unless you need to rev match or something with is probably like 3% of the end users for this thing, why not the SST. If your that hardcore about it save money and buy an Evo, write Mitsubishi and tell them what's up, or shut the F up and wait to see what happens when the damn thing comes out.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:09 PM

lol, chill out bro. People are free to express their opinions just as you are free to post yours as well. But yes, we'll need to wait and see how well it actually works.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

i like the new tranny, it gives people a choice and it opens the door for new markets. like joeRally said we will have to test drive it and see. If i like it i will buy one!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NC_Art
i like the new tranny, it gives people a choice and it opens the door for new markets. like joeRally said we will have to test drive it and see. If i like it i will buy one!
yeah it gives people a choice, sst or nothing
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
XRS
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by just _a_oz
dude whoever said it's a possible replacement for an RS is on crack. Two totally different cars. Also somebody said that's it's supposed to be an affordable Evo? WTF not everything that's has AWD and a turbo is some sort of Evo variation. Is the B5 Audi S4 a luxurious evo because it's an Audi and it has AWD and two turbos? What about the 335xi? Come on man.

Also for all the other closed minded or miss informed people the SST tranny is actually a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. I've only driven an M3 with SMG that's similar but obviously not dual clutch but if your on an incline and you take your foot off the brake you roll back just as with a traditional manual tranny. This transmission could shift faster than anyone could ever shift on a traditional tranny, which equals into faster times. I mean if they use this technology in Formula One cars which is the world's fastest sport. Why not have that technology come standard? Yea traditional manuals are cool but unless you need to rev match or something with is probably like 3% of the end users for this thing, why not the SST. If your that hardcore about it save money and buy an Evo, write Mitsubishi and tell them what's up, or shut the F up and wait to see what happens when the damn thing comes out.
Here we go with the "It's a manual transmission with an electronic clutch," comment. That's weak, you might as well say that an automatic is a manual with a torque converter. What is the true basis in the manual, manual shifting. You got it all wrong for reasons why people want the traditional manual over the SST.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS
Here we go with the "It's a manual transmission with an electronic clutch," comment. That's weak, you might as well say that an automatic is a manual with a torque converter. What is the true basis in the manual, manual shifting. You got it all wrong for reasons why people want the traditional manual over the SST.
the true basis of the manual is that you can choose your own gears. the stick shift or the clutch pedal has nothing to do with it. if the technology were around back then, there would have been another golden standard as to how we switch gears. it just so happens that the stick shift/clutch pedal combo caught on...
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:43 PM

Even if the technology is better, I think the people who prefer the 5 sp option prefer it for the feeling it provides of being in control and connected to the vehicle. If they came up with technology that no longer required a steering wheel as computers could steer the vehicle, I know I would miss the feeling of the wheel in my hands =) But then again, I could get used to just watching DVD's as my car drove itself haha

Quick Reply: The Ultimate 2009 Ralliart Thread mega merge