Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lancer RA as first car?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damm you're a lucky kid if your parents are considering that. My first car was a 11 year old dodge caravan. lol. now that i got the lancer ES, i want to hit myself for not waiting for this car.

But yea, these cars are monsters compared to everything else on the road. 0-60 in like 5 seconds is ridiculous, and i know that cops love to pull over cars that look and sound like they're going fast especially with younger drivers.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by OoLancer
damm you're a lucky kid if your parents are considering that. My first car was a 11 year old dodge caravan. lol. now that i got the lancer ES, i want to hit myself for not waiting for this car.

But yea, these cars are monsters compared to everything else on the road. 0-60 in like 5 seconds is ridiculous, and i know that cops love to pull over cars that look and sound like they're going fast especially with younger drivers.
I've seriously been pulled over because the cop said he "heard me coming around the corner" (it was a campus cop though)

But he didn't give me a speeding ticket based on that, gave me a warning
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Suppy7
I've seriously been pulled over because the cop said he "heard me coming around the corner" (it was a campus cop though)

But he didn't give me a speeding ticket based on that, gave me a warning

yea i guess it's a compliment., you know when you cars loud enough to attract the attention of cops you know you've done something right.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OoLancer
yea i guess it's a compliment., you know when you cars loud enough to attract the attention of cops you know you've done something right.
Not here -- my city has a bylaw against noisy exhausts (most performance exhausts are OK -- but not most systems geared just to make noise -- it's mainly intended for the Harley-Davidson crowd, anyway). Last thing I ever want to hear a cop say is that my car needs to get a cheapo exhaust ASAP.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me no likey loud exhausts, 'cuz around here the loud exhaust are all on slow cars that want to sound fast. The truly fast cars are usually the reasonably quiet ones, compared to the obnoxiously loud fart cans.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I would recommend against it. Driving a car owned by your parents (and presumably with them in the car) is very different than driving your own car alone or with friends (when peer pressure can get the best of you). While yes AWD is great, it can't save you if you don't know what you're doing. Other things to consider are insurance, maintenance costs and of course, fuel costs. I go through 70$ in gas a week which hurts the wallet a lot. These things aren't an issue when you still live at home but imagine trying to move out when insurance is eating up 300$ a month and gas is eating up another 350$. I would suggest starting with something with less power and with less costs and buying a car like that when you have the money to do it yourself.

Last edited by ambystom01; Apr 6, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I would recommend against it. Driving a car owned by your parents (and presumably with them in the car) is very different than driving your own car alone or with friends (when peer pressure can get the best of you). While yes AWD is great, it can't save you if you don't know what you're doing. Other things to consider are insurance, maintenance costs and of course, fuel costs. I go through 70$ in gas a week which hurts the wallet a lot. These things aren't an issue when you still live at home but imagine trying to move out when insurance is eating up 300$ a month and gas is eating up another 350$. I would suggest starting with something with less power and with less costs and buying a car like that when you have the money to do it yourself.
300 bucks a month on insurance??? You serious? How many tickets you have?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

One but that has no bearing on my rate (need two for it to become a factor), it's because I'm 22 with a brand new car. Hell insurance was 5k$ a year when I first got my lancer since I was 17 and insurance in this province was going crazy with their rates. I can't imagine what a 16 year old would pay for a 250 hp performance car.
Edit: My insurance isn't 300$ a month anyways, it's about 240$.

Last edited by ambystom01; Apr 7, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:59 AM

im 23 with about a 189 a month payment for insurance, where are u guys living at that its so high?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by nashralliart
im 23 with about a 189 a month payment for insurance, where are u guys living at that its so high?
When I was 16 with my 98' eclipse spyder gst my insurance was 300/mo.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

well its between a WRX MS3 and a Ralliart so we shall see this summer when i can do a comparo
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Neither of those cars is suitable for a new driver.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, choices between those cars for your first car? Must be nice having parents who will buy you anything you want.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

correction i have been saving up for my first car for ever.. I will be paying 25k of the car and w.e is over my parents will be paying for. I own a used golf ball company if you are wondering how i got the money.... and i am a bus boy during the summer
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by EvoX326
correction i have been saving up for my first car for ever.. I will be paying 25k of the car and w.e is over my parents will be paying for. I own a used golf ball company if you are wondering how i got the money.... and i am a bus boy during the summer
The golf thing is a killer job because you can sell them for just a little less than new and because new is so overpriced, people will buy yours. Brilliant.

Quick Reply: Lancer RA as first car?