Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ralliart worth it? Has some SERIOUS competition

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hibby
Line this car up against the SRTs, MS3, Cobalt SS, and WRX -- those cars are the real competitors to the Ralliart. To discuss a preowned Evo IX as a competitor to this car is to discount the abilities of the Evo -- it's a much more focused and purpose-specific car.
Cobalt & SRT: American -- enough said

Mazdaspeed 3: Ford, which is also American

The WRX is fair competition, but fortunately is exceedingly ugly, which also makes it a pretty poor second-choice.

Personally, I think the MS3 is great for anyone who must have a classic manual and still believes in Mazda as an independent manufacturer (I know I don't).

As for the others, if you want a car with serious shortcomings built right into it's heritage, why not get a GTI? -- it's fun to wonder which parts will break down first, and the crappier warranty makes the fun start even sooner!

[I'm not a fan of used cars, and used Evo's sound like a particularly bad investment, since the original owner will either have abused the car or didn't properly appreciate it -- a new Ralliart wins hand down on that one, unless you happen to be a mechanic... or know a trusted friend with a used Evo]
Old May 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aestival

The WRX is fair competition, but fortunately is exceedingly ugly, which also makes it a pretty poor second-choice.

Personally, I think the MS3 is great for anyone who must have a classic manual and still believes in Mazda as an independent manufacturer (I know I don't).

As for the others, if you want a car with serious shortcomings built right into it's heritage, why not get a GTI? -- it's fun to wonder which parts will break down first, and the crappier warranty makes the fun start even sooner!

[I'm not a fan of used cars, and used Evo's sound like a particularly bad investment, since the original owner will either have abused the car or didn't properly appreciate it -- a new Ralliart wins hand down on that one, unless you happen to be a mechanic... or know a trusted friend with a used Evo]
I can agree with almost all of this. Partially, I really want a TC-SST style transmission, and the MR is out of my range.

Last edited by hibby; May 28, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Except that the MS3 isn't a ford and is made entirely in japan with 96% foreign parts.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
Except that the MS3 isn't a ford and is made entirely in japan with 96% foreign parts.
The same Mazda 3 known abroad as the Mazda Axela, built on a Ford engineering platform shared by the Euro Focus and Volvo S40?
Old May 28, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[I'm fairly certain, though, that a twin clutch is not the same as "two clutches", though it's similar]
Nadda. Twin clutches means exactly that - two (2) clutches - that's two separate clutches.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corers
I am in the market for a 25k-ish car and I realized that maybe the biggest competition for the Ralliart isn't the WRX, its the Evo IX.
May I suggest a used 2003 EVO VIII and then spend the difference on mods.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

The new jetta's and audi a3's have a ssq. If you want a good car for cheep get a used GLI jetta
Old May 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
XRS
Evolving Member

But if you put it that way then one could say that...

Mitsubishi: Chrysler, Hyundai which is American and Korean
Old May 29, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by XRS
But if you put it that way then one could say that...

Mitsubishi: Chrysler, Hyundai which is American and Korean
I don't think many cars are solely developed by one company. Heck, when the current WRX was being developed GM probably had a hand in it as FHI was partly owned by GM until recently. See below.

Old May 29, 2008, 02:50 PM

Hmm thats not a good argument there. Mitsu, Hyundai, Dodge.. There are not too many stand alone companies anymore in the world.
Old May 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really think I care enough about a brand's (real or perceived) independence enough to allow it any consideration when I go car shopping anyway.
Old May 30, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMLUDE35
Hmm thats not a good argument there. Mitsu, Hyundai, Dodge.. There are not too many stand alone companies anymore in the world.
You can argue that with Mazda -- I even admitted there was an argument to be made, though I'm squarely on the Mazda-is-Ford side myself -- but the Cobalt and SRT are American designed and American built. Neither manufacturer has a very good track record over the past three decades.

I don't actually have any problem with Subaru, it's the WRX itself that I have issues with -- doesn't matter at all to me who designed such a butt-ugly car, though personally looks are more of a threshold issue, not like the mix of performance features and reliability at all.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Something to keep in mind with the WRX vs. X comparos, most of the other cars come clad with great summer tires, the WRX comes clad with crappy all-seasons. Put some new tires on the WRX and you have a far more equal performer. The WRX is the only car that is ready for all conditions out of the box which is also one of its weaknesses. I agree that the new front isn't that attractive but if your that concerned, you can mod the looks to fit what you want. Of the choices though I'd probably go with the new Cobalt (sure it's american but it'll be cheap to repair, cheap to mod and come with a good warranty) or the Ralliart.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:30 PM

You can argue that with Mazda -- I even admitted there was an argument to be made, though I'm squarely on the Mazda-is-Ford side myself -- but the Cobalt and SRT are American designed and American built. Neither manufacturer has a very good track record over the past three decades.

I don't actually have any problem with Subaru, it's the WRX itself that I have issues with -- doesn't matter at all to me who designed such a butt-ugly car, though personally looks are more of a threshold issue, not like the mix of performance features and reliability at all.
Hmm I would re think the chevy comment as they do have a good track record for over 30 years. Every car company has it's faults and Mitsubishi has issues poor track record also.
I'm just stating its poor judement on American cars. Yes some of the American cars sucks no doubt. They do make some kick butt muscle cars. Mustangs, Camaro. Legends and oh the Corvette. I'm going to stick up for my American pride. But the bottom line all companies have some crappy cars.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Considering the warranties that some domestic companies are offering, I wouldn't turn my nose up at them anymore. You can mod an SRT-4 and still be covered meanwhile Mitsubishi flows a fit if you have different lug nuts.

Quick Reply: Ralliart worth it? Has some SERIOUS competition