Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ralliart worth it? Has some SERIOUS competition

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart worth it? Has some SERIOUS competition

I am in the market for a 25k-ish car and I realized that maybe the biggest competition for the Ralliart isn't the WRX, its the Evo IX. For the same price I could get a really nice, low mileage IX which is still covered under warranty and has more HP etc. In fact, I know somebody that is selling me a gorgeous MR right now with 10k miles for 25k. I know there are some people that would just want a new car, but besides insurance reasons...who would really choose a 230ish HP Ralliart over an Evolution?
Old May 28, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Some people would rather have a NEW car, not a used car. And Im sure there is stuff that is on the ralliart that is better than the IX, like cruise control, better ride quality, etc... It basically comes to personal prefrence. I agree with you though, I would rather have a IX
Old May 28, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Two different cars. Yes the IX is more performance oriented, but the ralliart will have better ride quality. The IX is more of a raw car so to speak. Also, the biggest difference at the moment is the trans. IX is manual only and the ralliart is going to be realeased as automatic only.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The biggest difference is going to be on the interior side of things, IMO. On the Ralliart, you'd be getting a more up to date interior with more up to date technology (navigation/sound improvements, more informative dash, better quality)

Really depends on what your goal is. The Ralliart is perfect for someone who wants to leave it stock or only do some minor modding. If you want to be able to go nuts, get a IX.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Markley02
Two different cars. Yes the IX is more performance oriented, but the ralliart will have better ride quality. The IX is more of a raw car so to speak. Also, the biggest difference at the moment is the trans. IX is manual only and the ralliart is going to be realeased as automatic only.
It's not an automatic! It's an automated manual! People need to stop refering to it as an automatic. Automatics use torque converters. This has 2 clutches.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Line this car up against the SRTs, MS3, Cobalt SS, and WRX -- those cars are the real competitors to the Ralliart. To discuss a preowned Evo IX as a competitor to this car is to discount the abilities of the Evo -- it's a much more focused and purpose-specific car.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Warharan
It's not an automatic! It's an automated manual! People need to stop refering to it as an automatic. Automatics use torque converters. This has 2 clutches.
Well, you're certainly free to call it whatever you like. But for me, if there's no clutch pedal, then it's an automatic.

Sure, mechanically it might be a manual, but in practice it's an automatic - push a lever, gear changes - so in practice it's no different than the tiptronic auto systems found on nearly every car nowadays, albeit a MUCH more efficient version.

But back to the topic:
It's a tough decision. Looks-wise I could go either way. For a while I was sold on the X, but every time I see a IX drive by I'm always, "Damn, that's a hot car." So it's a toss up.

I've driven both the X and the IX, and they definitely feel like different cars. The X's chassis is just so rock solid. It's fun just to drive slow. Where as the IX's rawness made it fun to drive more at speed.

But like the above people have said already, it depends on what you want. The Ralliart will be a better, more comfortable daily driver, and the IX will be more of a raw tuner car.

Last edited by wontbslow; May 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hibby
Line this car up against the SRTs, MS3, Cobalt SS, and WRX -- those cars are the real competitors to the Ralliart. To discuss a preowned Evo IX as a competitor to this car is to discount the abilities of the Evo -- it's a much more focused and purpose-specific car.
I hate to say it, but those some of those cars that you listed won't be much competition for the new RalliArt. Sure the SRT-4, MS3, and new Cobalt SS have the power, but they are just FWD. Since I drive a MS3, I kind of know what I am talking about. The car is fun and powerful, but it lacks traction and is a handful at WOT. I WRX would be more of a competitor against the new RalliArt.

I could be wrong about what I said. I am sure one of the major car magazines will line these cars up against each other. It should be interesting to see which one is the quickest. I am betting on the RalliArt.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
I hate to say it, but those some of those cars that you listed won't be much competition for the new RalliArt. Sure the SRT-4, MS3, and new Cobalt SS have the power, but they are just FWD. Since I drive a MS3, I kind of know what I am talking about. The car is fun and powerful, but it lacks traction and is a handful at WOT. I WRX would be more of a competitor against the new RalliArt.

I could be wrong about what I said. I am sure one of the major car magazines will line these cars up against each other. It should be interesting to see which one is the quickest. I am betting on the RalliArt.
x1000 AWD > FWD
Old May 28, 2008, 01:02 PM

So what is a sequential then? Would that be considered an automatic? They come with and without clutch levers. So by your logic a clutch lever = manually shifted transmission. Well in the 70's you would probably be right.
However I see the ease of calling it an auto rather than a automated manual.

I would go with the IX. If it cannot handle well than why buy it? Are you planning on drag racing SRT's? You are in for a rude awakening because they are all heavily moded and very fast.
If you have an AWD you want the differentials to utilize the AWD properly otherwise you just have a car that does not need snow chains.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It'll all depend on how you define quickest. As you know, the MS3s aren't slow cars. Once they gain traction, they're quick. I have a feeling that, out of the box, the MS3 will be a bit quicker in a straightline. A roadcourse is where it'll be fun to see how the Ralliart does. It should be pleasure to take around corners.

Also, people, there's a whole other thread to discuss the transmission in, that's not the topic of this thread.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kica
I would go with the IX. If it cannot handle well than why buy it? Are you planning on drag racing SRT's? You are in for a rude awakening because they are all heavily moded and very fast.
If you have an AWD you want the differentials to utilize the AWD properly otherwise you just have a car that does not need snow chains.
To say that all SRTs are heavily modded is a gross generalization. Also, you make it sound like the Ralliart isn't running the SAME EXACT DIFFS as the Evo IX.

Oh, no doubt. None of the cars I listed are really even on my radar -- I want a Ralliart (honestly, I really want an X MR, but that's well beyond my income bracket). The only reason I mention them is the price bracket and the fact that people who don't care about AWD are probably cross-shopping these products. I live in northeast PA - it snows here. I don't really want to wrestle with a 260hp FWD car when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground. The WRX is off my personal short-list simply because the new one is fugly.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

There have been plenty of MS3-WRX comparo's. The MS3 always comes out ahead in pretty much every metric. Certainly it lacks the traction at takeoff of an AWD, but that's the only place it gives anything up to the WRX and it makes up for it later. I don't know what you mean about it being a handful at WOT. I think it's great at WOT. It's certainly no SRT-4 given efforts made to moderate the effects of torque steer. There are some advantages to AWD in cornering but the MS3 is more than capable in the corners. It also weighs 300 lbs less than the RA. The only way the RA is gonna be superior to the MS3 performance-wise in the straights or the twisties is we can safely increase the power to bring it up to near or above the MS3's power levels. Otherwise it will be a fun and sensible car, but not an MS3 beater.

BTW, I really want the MR too but may never, ever spend $40K on a car. Unless I win the lottery or something.

Last edited by desperado-c; May 28, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by desperado-c
There have been plenty of MS3-WRX comparo's. The MS3 always comes out ahead in pretty much every metric. Certainly it lacks the traction at takeoff of an AWD, but that's the only place it gives anything up to the WRX and it makes up for it later. I don't know what you mean about it being a handful at WOT. I think it's great at WOT. It's certainly no SRT-4 given efforts made to moderate the effects of torque steer. There are some advantages to AWD in cornering but the MS3 is more than capable in the corners. It also weighs 300 lbs less than the RA. The only way the RA is gonna be superior to the MS3 performance-wise in the straights or the twisties is we can safely increase the power to bring it up to near or above the MS3's power levels. Otherwise it will be a fun and sensible car, but not an MS3 beater.

BTW, I really want the MR too but may never, ever spend $40K on a car. Unless I win the lottery or something.
well said.. but he mr wont sell for that price... atleast not right away... the ms 3 has been good to me since i got it in feb 07 but the car is plagued with many issues that ruined the car not only for me but others and it looks like the RA / MR is the car i am going to pick up now regardless of price. The RA has so much more options to make it worth more then the WRX or ms3... THE TECH! Amazing.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warharan
Thank you for pointing that out -- the TC-SST is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. It can also be controlled by a computer, which incidentally puts it in the same class as nuclear missiles and almost every jet airplane, not to mention practically every other machine, including cars with clutch pedals (though most classic manuals don't come with a computer to control shifting, it's technically straightforward to do).

[I'm fairly certain, though, that a twin clutch is not the same as "two clutches", though it's similar]

Quick Reply: Ralliart worth it? Has some SERIOUS competition